UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Confused.com do bike insurance

Old 11-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #16
DevilBoy

Thanks for that mate!

I'll ask our partners to review the rules we have in place and make the changes.

I think the reason that we have the current restrictions, are that we only have age and CC to go on. So we have to draw the lines somewhere.

Like I said though, I'll get them reviewed.

Cheers again!
DB
Old 11-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #17
Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK & AK View Post
No, please dont assume

CBT can be taken at 16yrs & ride 50cc bike
CBT can be taken at 16+ too (many here have done that)
Full test can be taken at 17 plus.
Direct access can be taken at 21.

If the full test is taken at any age under 21 yrs, you are restricted to 33bhp for 2 years from date of test.
Therefore, a 17 or 18 year old, can pass their full test, ride anything (often choosing viffer or cbr 400) LEGALLY, PROVIDED it is restricted - and after 2 years (at 19 or 20) can ride any machine they like (or can afford)

Hope this helps?

C
Thank you C

So you need to filter on
16 year old = 50cc only
17+ year old with provisional licence =125cc only
17+ year old with full licence no cc limit

I think ?

C will put me right I'm sure
Old 14-05-2007, 09:57 AM   #18
DevilBoy

Hiya guys

I've looked into it a bit closer, and it looks like i've already removed most of the rules previously mentioned. The only active ones now are :

If the person is 16, with a PROVISIONAL licence, and a bike over 50CC
If the person has a PROVISIONAL licence only, and the licence is over 2 years old.

So all other licence combinations should work.
If you are seeing differently, lemme know!

Of, and allso, one of our panel - The Bike Insurer - who are supposed to be bringing back 9 prices from various brokers on their books, are currently offline. So at the moment, our list of prices is quite small at 4.
We are getting another 2 partners online this week though, and we expect this growth to be about 3 a month thereafter.

Again, let me know if you have any queries.

I know it sounds bad, because I work for the company, but stick with us guys, I assure you that we'll be bringing back prices cheaper than you could get by going direct!

Ok, plug over.

DB
Old 14-05-2007, 10:09 AM   #19
Bunny

Nope !!

still won't accept that Tom took his CBT at 16

still says that at 18 with a full licence he can only ride a 50cc

needs tweaking still
Old 14-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #20
DevilBoy

Hmmm.

Does it come up with a message saying 'insurer unable to quote for your details'?

If so, thats the insurer rejecting the quote, rather than confused filtering it out.

I've just ran one through on an 18 year old biker, full licence, on a 500CC bike, and it was rejected by 3 of our brands.
They probably don't like the risk.

but when we get more and more partners on board, this will change.
What we usually find is that we'll get insurers specifically searching out certain types of risks, and this is a perfect example.

The online bike insurance market is still young though, and we're trying to push the companies down a more competitive road, so this is all new!
Old 14-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #21
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
How about too expensive?

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #22
DevilBoy

huh?

The prices are more than your paying now?
Like I said, this will change when more people come online with us.

At the moment, companies are begging us to get them on board, but it takes me a few weeks to develop the neccessary bits on the back-end to get it all quoting right.
As soon as we get a few more on though, I reckon most people will save at least a bit.

So far, I'm saving £150!
But I'm gonna wait till next week, see what the new partners we bring on are like...
Old 14-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #23
Bunny

Thumbs down

Still no good.

Birthday 12 05 1989
will not accept CBT of 05 2005 ' this is not a valid date '
will accept CBT 05 2006, so carried on using that,
put in Suzuki 600 and got the message
' maximum engine size based on rider age and licence type is 50cc '

I think he would have given up by now and insured with someone else !!
Old 14-05-2007, 09:01 PM   #24
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilBoy View Post
huh?

The prices are more than your paying now?
Like I said, this will change when more people come online with us.

At the moment, companies are begging us to get them on board, but it takes me a few weeks to develop the neccessary bits on the back-end to get it all quoting right.
As soon as we get a few more on though, I reckon most people will save at least a bit.

So far, I'm saving £150!
But I'm gonna wait till next week, see what the new partners we bring on are like...
Quoted by Confused £252, best so far at £192 Motor Cycle Direct Fully Comp with £150 XS, I'd say thats more expensive. Even Bennetts were £192 but with a £250 XS. Age 44 1 years NCB. Riding with breaks since '78.

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #25
Trent

Confused.com quoted £1100 for TFT for me...

I can get a number of quotes for less than half that without even trying!

Also I had to make a bogus answer for the CBT date... I passed my test in NZ and swapped my license for a UK one when I came here - so I have never passed a CBT...
Old 15-05-2007, 08:47 AM   #26
DevilBoy

You don't all have to tell me how much you didn't save!
I'm trying to help bikers out here by developing a cometitive environment for insurers to compete for your business, which at the moment they aren't!

As I've mentioned, the competitiveness all depends on how many companies we have on board, as each company can quote cheap for different people.

We only have 3 companies at the moment, so as soon as we get more on, they'll get more and more competitive.

We have plans for Bennetts, Hastings, Carole Nash, and many many more, so give us a chance!

Thanks
DB
Old 15-05-2007, 10:32 AM   #27
Bunny

But only if it will give you a quote in the first place
Old 15-05-2007, 10:41 AM   #28
DevilBoy

To be fair though, you are trying to get a quote for an 18 year old on a 600cc sports bike!
Like I said, the online bike insurance market is still in its infancy, so alot of companies, certainately the ones we've dealt with so far, choose to use their online portal to cherry pick the low risks, and keep their call centres for working out prices for higher risks.

This is something we're trying to change, so hopefully, you'll be able to get a quote soon.
Old 15-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #29
Bunny

Sorry - he's trying to insure a 1998 600 bandit - hardly a sports bike !!

Last year he insured an 03 620 monster with no trouble for under £600 , and got a good quote on my VTR1000 ( at 17 )

As your site won't let him get a quote for anything bigger than 50cc, he can hardly tell if you're competitive.

As I have far more patience with form filling than the average teenager, I don't think you'll get many teenage customers if it will not let them enter the correct details - or is that a way of filtering them out ?
Old 16-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #30
DevilBoy

As I mentioned, its the partners we have that can't quote for him.
We don't actually do insurance ourselves, we visit sites, get prices, and bring them back.

We are lucky with the bike product, because it looks like alot of our partners are offering more discounts than if you went to them directly!

I'm sorry you can't get a quote at the moment, but I'll keep an eye on it. I'm working on another 2 brands at the moment, and we're hoping to have 8 by the end of quarter 2. So chances are, someone will like young riders!

Thanks for helping me out though mate, much appreciated.