UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Ducati Aylesbury

Old 31-08-2005, 12:32 PM   #16
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
Who, what, where are DWR?

Will
Dave Wood Racing

They will have an open day soon too....

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=14000
Old 31-08-2005, 12:49 PM   #17
Rockhopper

I would suggest that they have made a simple mistake with the price of the oil. £35 a gallon is more like it.

Have you called them about it?
Old 31-08-2005, 12:57 PM   #18
Jasper

I've also been ripped off by Ducati Aylesbury!! Not long after buying my M600 from a mate i took a trip over there for a look around. On the way the chain was rattling so i asked if they could take a look at it which they kindly did there and then. The result was new chain and sprocket kit but they could'nt do the work for another week. They quoted me £160 approx. Being fairly inexperienced at the time i did'nt want to ride the bike home incase of more damage to the bike, and being advised by the mechanic not to.Had to get a well pissed off girlfriend to pick me up!!
A week later they charged me £230! I can't believed i paid it thinking back but i just wanted to get my bike back and get the hell out of there...NEVER again will i get any work done on my bike there.It's a very nice store and the staff are ok too but they are too much of a Corporate outfit now who are only interested in hitting there targets! Baines Racing are Cheaper and Better, or try Dave Clark motorcycles in Oxford. He and his son John are not a Ducati dealer just a little garage with 30 years experience, no complaints what so ever.
Old 31-08-2005, 03:00 PM   #19
brewhaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper
I've also been ripped off by Ducati Aylesbury!! Not long after buying my M600 from a mate i took a trip over there for a look around. On the way the chain was rattling so i asked if they could take a look at it which they kindly did there and then. The result was new chain and sprocket kit but they could'nt do the work for another week. They quoted me £160 approx. Being fairly inexperienced at the time i did'nt want to ride the bike home incase of more damage to the bike, and being advised by the mechanic not to.Had to get a well pissed off girlfriend to pick me up!!
A week later they charged me £230!.

Just got a new gold chain and sprockets fitted at Ducati Glasgow for £104
in 1 days notice
Old 31-08-2005, 04:38 PM   #20
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary tompkins
Dave Wood Racing

They will have an open day soon too....

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=14000
Thanks

Will
Old 01-09-2005, 12:36 PM   #21
Mrs Soup

Quote:
They are also now working on a problem with the fuel mixture and balance of the injection as the bike is running lumpy.
How did this manifest itself? I have noticed that mine 'hunts' a bit when at constsnt mid revs.

Anyone else have this?
Old 01-09-2005, 08:29 PM   #22
Gilps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Soup
How did this manifest itself? I have noticed that mine 'hunts' a bit when at constsnt mid revs.

Anyone else have this?
The bike was very vibey below 3k. I just put this down to being a v-twin. It pulled quite well above 3k. I wasn't blown away by it though, as my last bike was a 2004 Triumph Sprint RS with loads of grunt (too much to be any fun which is why I sold it and got the Monster). I was happy enough with the performance as I had not ridden a S2R before I bought it. However, the service guy at Pegasus said that he was not happy with it and that it felt a bit underpowered. He adjusted the fuel mixture as it was way out but he could not get it quite right with the computer. He said to try it out. Big mistake. It was then 10 times worse. It was missing and gutless below 3k. It did make a difference above 3k though. Now there was plenty of pull and I was quite pleased. It looks like this thing is not going to be as slow I first thought. It went back in last Saturday where they spent a couple of hours on it. Apparently the balance of the thottles was wrong. They corrected that but still couldn't get the fuel mixture right. It went back in yesterday for the technicians to have a better look at it and to consult Ducati. It is suspected that the valves may be too tight. I will hopefully have more news tomorrow. I'm not technical, but when I get the answer and it gets fixed I will let you know the outcome.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:57 AM   #23
JMo

Glips, as a thought - when I had my ECU changed (unnecessarily I might add) by my original dealer, they didn't set the EFi up properly (indeed at all), so essentially it was running in a 'get-you-home' mode - although this was virtually unrideable with bike hunting and cutting out at low revs... Although the bikes should come from the factory with the EFi set properly, this might be the problem you have?

Ducati UK's ASM Andy Joyce eventually sorted it out - and he was a right wizz with the computer and the bike went like a rocket afterwards... did take him 2 and a half hours to set it up though...

xxx
Old 07-09-2005, 07:16 PM   #24
Gilps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo
Glips, as a thought - when I had my ECU changed (unnecessarily I might add) by my original dealer, they didn't set the EFi up properly (indeed at all), so essentially it was running in a 'get-you-home' mode - although this was virtually unrideable with bike hunting and cutting out at low revs... Although the bikes should come from the factory with the EFi set properly, this might be the problem you have?

Ducati UK's ASM Andy Joyce eventually sorted it out - and he was a right wizz with the computer and the bike went like a rocket afterwards... did take him 2 and a half hours to set it up though...

xxx
Here's an update. Remember, I'm not technically minded. Pegasus have played around a bit, and have ordered some parts from Ducati. They have run a compression test and one of the cylinders is low. They have ordered a new barrel and hopefully I will have my bike back at the weekend.
I'm beginning to wonder if buying Italian was such a good idea. I can't win though. My shopping list was all Italian this time round - Ducati, Aprilia, Benelli, or MV Agusta, so I reckon I'd have had quality issues whichever way I went!
I have had the bike for 4 weeks, and have had 12 days riding out of it, so I can't complain really. As long as it's fixed by next spring I will be happy.
I can recommend Triumph if anyone is looking for a new bike. They are reliable and the after sales service is reasonably priced and excellent quality.
I'll keep you posted on developments with my Monster.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:27 PM   #25
Shauns4

[QUOTE=Gilps]I'm beginning to wonder if buying Italian was such a good idea. I can't win though. My shopping list was all Italian this time round - Ducati, Aprilia, Benelli, or MV Agusta, so I reckon I'd have had quality issues whichever way I went!

one of my friends has an Aprilia, over 20,000 miles, no problems with the 1000 V twin motor.
Old 16-09-2005, 02:54 AM   #26
Gilps

Well, it's now fixed. I picked it up on Thursday after 2 weeks at Pegasus. They fitted a new barrel, pistons, the works. Now it goes like it always should have and I can really feel the difference. God knows how it was ever supplied to me from new in its original state. It's like a totally different bike. Not having ridden one before I had nothing to compare it with, but I would have thought that Aylesbury mechanics would have noticed when they PDI'ed it.
It's just so much quicker and way smoother. I thought it was supposed to shake like a Harley on tickover. Only bummer is, I've got to run it in again now.
Old 16-09-2005, 09:14 AM   #27
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilps
but I would have thought that Aylesbury mechanics would have noticed when they PDI'ed it.
Hmmmmm... yes, you would think... x

xxx
Old 16-09-2005, 07:24 PM   #28
Shauns4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilps
God knows how it was ever supplied to me from new in its original state. It's like a totally different bike. Not having ridden one before I had nothing to compare it with, but I would have thought that Aylesbury mechanics would have noticed when they PDI'ed it.
It's just so much quicker and way smoother. I thought it was supposed to shake like a Harley on tickover. Only bummer is, I've got to run it in again now.
I would have asked for a replacment new bike or some compensation, obviously it was supplied out of the factory not properly tested as they are supposed to be and the shop obviously didn't test ride it properly, did they tell you what was actually wrong with the bike? I would take your issue with Duacti and ask how a brand new bike was supplied well below specification, do their quality control procedures not work? I'm not really sure how Ducati test thier bikes before dispatching them but someone like Honda always put them on a rolling road and test the bike performance and this will form part of the quality control documentation for which all companies who are ISO registered must do or prove by some means.
Old 16-09-2005, 08:15 PM   #29
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauns4
I'm not really sure how Ducati test thier bikes before dispatching them but someone like Honda always put them on a rolling road and test the bike performance and this will form part of the quality control documentation for which all companies who are ISO registered must do or prove by some means.
On our factory visit we saw finished engines being run on a test rig for several minutes, before being sent to the assembly line. The new bikes were also ridden on a rolling road in a sound proof cabin before being crated up. Still doesn't explain how a knackered bike got to the showroom, but it's not the first time faulty engines have cropped up. Several 620's were recalled for oversize cylinder bores and excessive oil consuption a few years ago.
Old 20-09-2005, 06:42 PM   #30
Gilps

I've had the bike back for a few days now and am only now just getting to find out what it can do. Wow, I'm well chuffed. I thought it was OK before the engine rebuild but now it's just ACE. Such usable power. If I'd opened the throttle this much on my Triumph I would have been doing stupid speeds, but this is just so much more usable. It's fun, enjoyable to ride and very involving. I think I've seen the light. Hopefully there will be no more problems, and you never know, if this love affair continues to blossom I might even consider another Ducati at some point.