UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Best ride yet!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Nwsparky

Best ride yet!

Only had the 620 a couple of weeks, been out for half hour most nights, fell off first trip out doing crawling figure of eights which scared me just how rusty I am, since then I've done plenty car park stuff and slowly got to grips with the controls and quirks of a meaty twin! Tuesday I went out, did everything wrong and came back totally miffed. Last night stuck to CBT stuff but enjoyed it. Went out tonight with no plans in mind other than trying adjusted levers out, finally things seemed to flow, I was controlling the bike without thinking about as it should be, I can start to see the real appeal of these little bikes now, effortless cornering, useful engine breaking and that wonderful soundtrack
Mirrors are useless yes but ill sort that...
My problem tonight was that I just didn't want to get off!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
wendy lea

glad you're getting to grips with it, they are fun which is the main thing
Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Mohawk

My first monster was the 620ie, lovely bike. Enjoy! :-)
Old 08-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Nwsparky

Can't believe its only done 6k in 11 years, such a waste but good news for me
Old 08-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
The title says it all. .....Excellent.

To be honest, a monster isn't the easiest thing to manage at slow speeds when you're new to them.
And the limited steering lock doesn't help slow speed control either.
But you'll get used to that.

I find that 75mm bar-end mirrors work better for me than the std mickey mouse ones ....and look a whole lot better too.
Mine are Oberon, but there are cheap Chinese ones to be had that look ok. Main prob might be fading anodising on the cheapies though .....so silver may be a better choice than black.
Secondary prob might be width of shed doorway, though std ones have similar probs, but higher up the doorway.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
Dirty

That's good to hear. Fun arn't they, and addictive!

I hate hitting the steering lock. Makes me go wobbly and put my foot down!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #7
Nwsparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
That's good to hear. Fun arn't they, and addictive!

I hate hitting the steering lock. Makes me go wobbly and put my foot down!
Not just me then! Because I've hit it and toppled I'm nervous now, left turn I just lean the bike over to gain turn but turning right the way I fell I get a bit twitchy! Luckily there's more room turning right onto the road!

As for mirrors yep the cheapies look....well, cheap but, there's some nice ones around £50! lol ill keep looking I guess the safety benefit and better aesthetics out way any cost.....
Old 09-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
In many ways, I find that its often better to resist the temptation to try and do feet-up turns in confined spaces on the monster, and simply paddle it around with feet on the ground.
It probably took me as long as a couple of years to become confident enough to keep my feet up on the monster.
By contrast, my Honda dominator will do such tight, feet-up turns on full lock (if I shift my bodyweight massively to the outside) that it seems almost like its spinning round on the back wheel.
I dunno why Ducati designed the monster with such limited lock, but though it might be inconvenient, it does kinda fit with the character of the bike in a funny kind of way, ie it isn't built for going particularly slow.
Or maybe I just love it so much that I'm prepared to find excuses.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
scrapps

Glad your getting to like it.
It took me a while to relax and enjoy the v twin after a lot of inline 4s but once you get sorted they are very addictive.
try to get out on roads with little or no traffic so you can go at your pace for a bit or go out early on a Sunday before most people are up.

P.S my first Ducati was a 620i and I loved it.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
Nwsparky

Came home early and had the urge so risked Friday commuter traffic! Wow there's some idiots about! Just straight out at roundabouts, look right, see small bike so pull out!
Then I'm at a major roundabout 3 lanes, I'm in middle at lights behind 3 cars, the car behind me starts pulling along side me!! WTF, he got the idea I wasn't happy and dropped back! I will not be rushing back out in that, but still had fun....
Old 09-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
JuZ

I have found the mirrors from the later 695, S2R and S4R Monsters work infinitely better than the stock Mickey Mouse ones with the added bonus of keeping everything "original"