UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Advice please on rebuilding a 2005 Monster

Old 21-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #46
Hamish

Bike: M600
Thanks Gazza for your "indication"

Thanks Darren too.
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 12:13 PM   #47
Darren69
to much time on my hands member

Bike: S4
IIRC the wiring diagram is in the back of the owners handbook which you used to be able to download from Ducati.com for free, but I've just checked and they no longer go back that far.

If you can't find a link to download one you could alway buy a copy on CD of the full workshop manual from somewhere like ebay. I've seen these are about £10.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:26 AM   #48
Hamish

Bike: M600
My godson and I have just bought a 2005 Monster 620 Dark - 02, with a V5 & all the paperwork from the previous owner, in 4 large wooden crates.

We have unboxed everything and are starting to clean and label all the bits, ready for a full rebuild. It has been boxed for about 5 years.

The engine turns and it looks like we have a complete bike. We have ordered a Haynes workshop manual.

Just a reminder that my Godson Hamish bought 4 boxes of Ducati Monster bits, which had been stored for over 5 years. Gazza and Dave have visited a couple of times and both have been incredibly supportive and encouraging in our rebuild, which we do about one weekend every 5 weeks. We are not trained mechanics or engineers, just keen, and certainly don't have the skill and ability of 'Buzzer'.

Here's a list of what we have done over the last few months:

Drained engine oil and replaced.
Replaced damaged clutch drum.
Replaced cambelts, plugs & air filter.
Replaced 4 badly corroded exhaust studs.
Removed injectors and gave them to Gazza, who cleaned them (thanks again)
Cleaned and serviced all the brakes and fitted them.
Fitted the wheels.
On Saturday we went through all the wiring and connectors methodically from front to back and found several “soft” connections, which were cleaned with electrical contact cleaner.

We also found that one of the wires inside the headlamp, going to the clutch, had been chopped! Is that a start interlock?

We bought a battery, switched on the ignition and were amazed when everything lit up for the first time in over 6 years.

We had one leftover wire and no neutral light, but after closer inspection of the engine, found the connector at the rear of the engine (didn’t expect it there) and it now works.

The indicators were intermittent, so we removed the handlebar switches, cleaned them and all good now.

Two bulbs at the rear were blown, so replaced successfully.

The starter relay looked grimy, so we removed it, cleaned the posts and re-assembled.

Throughout this procedure the datatool noise machine/immobiliser kept going off and kept going into service mode. We are going to do more research on that.

So, all was looking good, so we whipped out the plugs and checked for a spark, which was there and only spoilt by the datatool noise machine going off again. Before we replaced the plugs we squirted some easy start down the bores, as the engine hadn’t run for over 6 years.

We put some petrol in the tank, but were worried that after 6 years the internal pump might be gummed up. A final check of the fuel lines, and all was looking good, so we took her outside and turned on the ignition. The fuel pump ran for 4 seconds, which sounded promising.

Final checks, choke on & engine stop off.........

After a few starts and stops, she fired up and kept running. There was a bit of smoke from some oil which had dropped onto the exhausts, but she ran well. We rode her round a bit and the clutch seemed OK too.

Thanks again to everyone who has given us tips.

Next stop the MOT.
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:47 AM   #49
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Bingo! Well done to both of you..

You have reaped the reward for patience and thoroughness. I hope she gives you many years of good service and joy..

Tags
full rebuild.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: