UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » wireless internet

Old 14-03-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
dean

wireless internet

A question for anyybody who knows anything about this (help appreciated)

I curently am using dial up from home and am looking to change over to wireless. I have two computers and would like to have wireless access on both.

Any advice appreciated.

And yes, i do want to put posts on while on the toilet. That's the main reason in fact.

But not the bath, that might be a bit dangerous.
Old 14-03-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
rjc

The easiest way is to get a dedicated wireless router. This will connect to you phone line and have one or two antennae for the wireless connection. Your first port of call should be your ISP who may sell a device that does the job - that way you'll know it's compatible.
Old 14-03-2005, 05:55 PM   #3
Rogerg

your going to struggle to get a wireless dialup device. (modem)

If your get broadband it gets a whole lot easier.

you can find lots of kits on: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk (their nothing to do with me, but a good place to start)

I use a Netgear DG834gt - works a treat with both my Mac & Sazza's Windoze machine.

I'm a Apple Mac man myself, they do do a Wireless router with modem for around £140.

My advice - go broadband
Old 14-03-2005, 05:56 PM   #4
marchesini
Um, thinking of something

Bike: S4r
I have this set up at home using the Apple Airport device - connects an iBook, a Powerbook, an iMac (not imaac / Veet) and a desktop G5. A router that plugs into the wireless base station and then sends its harmful rays throughout the house and surrounding counties.

I think the thing not to do, is tell your ISP that you want to connect more than one device to the internet at one time. I believe (and its my choice to, freedom of thought and all that), that you would then be charged for a business type of account i.e. more moolah. The premise of home broadband access is on a single user basis so don't allow more than one connection into the ADSL box. This is where the router comes in - allowing any number of computers to wirelessly connect at the same time. Can't remember the name of the magic box but somebody cleverer than me had to do a bit of setting up for me as it wasn't a simple process.

The other thing to factor in is the wireless thingies (technical term), that you need to plug into your laptop or PC to be able to receive the radioactive pulses. Hope this helps (although probably not) but more than likely someone who knows what they are talking about will be along in a minute to tell you the real truth rather than that of the half-baked kind.

Best regards

simon
marchesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2005, 06:24 PM   #5
PaulS

I'm with Rogerg on this one. You need broadband access to effectively make use of wireless - I'm not aware of any wireless routers that are intended for use with a dial-up modem. It would be theoretically possible to do if you had the modem and router attached to a desktop PC and ran a proxy server on the desktop PC, but would be difficult to achieve unless you are fairly technical - to be honest I think you would be on a hiding to nothing. If you have a BT phoneline then there are numerous ISPs that will supply you with various speeds of broadband at various price points. If you go this route then there are numerous companies that can supply a combined ADSL modem and wireless router - you will also need wireless cards for each of your PCs. If you get your phone service from the local cable operator then you will need a cable modem (normally supplied by NTL or Telewest and sometimes built-in to the TV's Digibox) and wireless router - again you may be able to get one device that does both jobs. I'm surprised you can put up with dial-up on one PC, connecting (and using) two at once would be terrible.

Last edited by PaulS; 14-03-2005 at 06:26 PM..
Old 14-03-2005, 06:28 PM   #6
S4Mal

Obviously Monster owners are technical gods and know everything about everything. Ive got one here which runs my PC (windows XP) my daughters and my wifes laptop. It took me about 3 weeks to get it working properly. - I thought it would be a case of plug it in an off we go but its not that simple. (for me anyway) Most of the problems involve firewalls and security features. Mines a Linksys ADSL gateway WAG54G. - Linksys tech help are brilliant but in the USA.
Remember there are different wireless protocols 801b (earlier version-sometimes cheaper but slower) and 801g (newer and faster) also boxes that do b and g.

I think you will be wasting your time if you dont get broadband tho. Good luck.
Old 14-03-2005, 07:21 PM   #7
dean

i meant to say that i will be swithching to broadband, my service provider is aol, they'll provide me with a free broadband modem. i've seen a bt package called voyager, wireless modem plus pcmcia card. is that all i'll need?. also, if so, how will i know whether my laptop is compatible?,

Also!, can i also use another computer as well, does my house have to become a hotspot!?

jargon i pick up, knowledge i fail miserably on.
Old 14-03-2005, 07:35 PM   #8
CraigMac

Dean Im in the same boat as you and need the same advice....so im following this thread as well....Shall we put the sail up..or just drift.....and your house is a hotspot.....wow....have you contacted British Gas...they may be able to help...what with all this global warming lark.... whats it going to be like in summer!!
Are you south facing...that could be your problem....Im concerned!!
Old 14-03-2005, 07:44 PM   #9
dean

Craig, you do realise that now you have posted a reply to this thread, the following will happen in quick succession

1. the rseponses will quickly degenerate in to farce involving all sorts of espionage and conspiracy theories.most of them true.
2. nobody else will take it seriously
3. Well all get warnings from the thought police
4. Alex will interject with some french stuff
5. the thread will get taken off air

none of this i object to, so lets go.

p.s advice on the wirelss stuff still important but please hurry, this thread is now ticking.
Old 14-03-2005, 07:49 PM   #10
Rogerg

ok couple of questions:

1. how many computers need to connect to the internet and what are they. ie desktop Win XP, Mac Laptop etc. do any of them have wireless cards already?

2. presumably the PC that already connects to the internet via the phone line would not need a wireless card as its right next to the phone line anyway, but does it have an ethernet card? (looks like a phone connector, but bigger) so could cable it straight to the router.

3. don't get your broadband from AOL - complete rip off + their support for routers is not good. Theres loads of good, cheaper providers out there - www.freenetname.co.uk £18 per month for a 2Mb line & free domain name and all.
Old 14-03-2005, 07:55 PM   #11
CraigMac

Sorry.

Dean, I am really interested in this wireless...ohjah stuff.
And like you, I havn,t got a clue..
So yes folks, I agree....Please inform us witless ones what we should purchase.....
If not, we will be forced into PC World, where one of the "Staines Massive"(with a shirt and tie on) will flog us something that we dont need and we'll be paying £9.00 per minute to some geezer in Bombay to tell us how to load it up....
This is a serious question and serious answers are required!!

So are these wireless things made of Bacolite??

Regards..
Old 14-03-2005, 08:05 PM   #12
CraigMac

Roger, Dean appears to be off looking at other stuff.....Ive got a "Intel anypoint DSL modem" via broadband does this gubbins stuff just plug into there on the pc.... and the same for the laptop.....
I know he started this thread, but in reality he,s a top egghead and really does,nt need this advice.
Regards
Old 14-03-2005, 08:20 PM   #13
benjiwillik

aol, and adsl wireless-

aol will only support Net Gear routers, although others will work...I to am a paid up victim of aol, and its !*!*!*!*ty browser that crashes all the time!(get fire fox's browser...once you have your adsl wireless router, you won't need to do all that pointless signing on to aol any more!) I brought a Belkin adsl modem with built in wireless router after xmas and got it all up and running on two lap tops in an afternoon-with a little help from my mate 'john' from their indian call center...which is 24hr and FREE!!!my lap top had built in wi-fi so it may be worth checking your hardware before you splash out, but I bought one for her-in-door's lap-pooter (£50ish), and i was a plug and play affair pretty much.

Definatly go for it-it is revolutionary, and am already looking forward to sunning my self in the garden whilst using my pc this summer, instead of being stuck indoors. Hope this helps mate and let me know how you get on...and in case you wondered,I don't work for belkin either
Old 14-03-2005, 08:30 PM   #14
dean

righty,

i have a laptop with windows xp, plus an old desktop with windows 2000.

to get multi computer and broadband i need an adsl router?, aol provide one free of charge with the broadband package dont they?

to get wireless, i need what?

also, i need to stick with aol cos of the missus' work.

how does the wireless thing work?, am i right in assuming that they work on the same principle as cordless telehpones, i.e base station and handsets. in this case pcmcia card attached to laptop/pc being handset.

thanks in advance, and i am impressed to see this thread still open. i know there's a new personal best looming for a few of us.
Old 14-03-2005, 08:34 PM   #15
Rogerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMac
Roger, Dean appears to be off looking at other stuff.....Ive got a "Intel anypoint DSL modem" via broadband does this gubbins stuff just plug into there on the pc.... and the same for the laptop.....
I know he started this thread, but in reality he,s a top egghead and really does,nt need this advice.
Regards
that sounds like a USB device to me - in which case you'll need to replace it with a wireless adsl router & put a wireless card in your PC

Router: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...&ProductID=539

PCI card for PC: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...&ProductID=539

PC card for any PC based Laptops: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...&ShopGroupID=8

if you've got a Mac Laptop use the Apple branded card.

The netgear box is simple to configure using a web browser.