UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » I want! » 41 tooth rear sprocket

Old 17-11-2020, 07:49 PM   #1
Redders

Bike: M900sie
41 tooth rear sprocket

Hello, anyone got a 41 tooth rear to sell for my 2000 m900sie? Thanks
Redders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 09:40 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Seems a bit large to me, but I can't remember what's standard on the M900Sie.

I run a 15/39 with great success, seems like the perfect gearing to me.

I'm sure you already know that the 2000 M900ie requires a special front sprocket unique to that year model?
Old 20-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #3
Redders

Thanks Gazza I need to check the front but I have a 38 rear and a rather long chain so just fancied trying a bigger rear
Redders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 08:31 PM   #4
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
15/38 is stock on 900ie
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
15/38 is stock on 900ie
Ah! So I'm geared down a tad on standard. I always assumed I was geared a bit higher.

15/39 is standard for a carb 900, so maybe they geared the ie up for the roll by noise test?

My gearing originates from having a new set left over from my first carbie M900. it seems to work very well so I've stuck with it.

I get vivid acceleration and close to 70 mpg. All the gears are in the right place and I nearly always manage to get into 6th on all but the tight and twisty roads if I'm being noisy! Comfy at 20mph too.
Old 23-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #6
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Ah! So I'm geared down a tad on standard. I always assumed I was geared a bit higher.

15/39 is standard for a carb 900, so maybe they geared the ie up for the roll by noise test?
I agree that they most likely geared it up for ride by noise tests to bring the revs down a bit to comply with stricter limits.

It is a personal thing (as I know Utopia has gone the other way to make his 750 lazier) but I think almost every road bike (to greater or lesser degrees) benefits from lower gearing.

I run my carby 900 two teeth up on the rear sprocket (15/41) and it is (in my opinion) perfect for the type of riding I tend to do without it ever feeling like it's revving too high at motorway speeds- sixth is such an overdrive gear on these bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Comfy at 20mph too.
Surely not in sixth though Mr G?
Old 23-11-2020, 10:56 AM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Yes I guess anything in the 38-41 ball park will work with the 900's grunt depending on personal taste.
Maybe they snitched the gearing up on the ie to make use of it's extra handfull of horse powers over the carbie that it succeeded?

Mine feels nice and long legged in the high gears but I think it would be clumsy in the lower gears if it were any higher.

I would always gear my Brit twins up a couple or three teeth on the front.. I think the Commando will take a 23 tooth or more? They have the grunt for a very quick get away with a high first gear, much to the chargin of many a rice burner rider back in the day..

No, I don't think I can pull 6th at 20mph on the Monster, but It will roll back to 40 or less without a down change if the road is right, and then roll back up to speed again as quickly as any car, if there is no overtake opportunity at the end of the speed limit.
Old 23-11-2020, 07:31 PM   #8
Flip

Bike: M900
Agreed, I am sure it is the overly high gearing that often makes people complain about the bikes being difficult at town speeds- I know on standard gearing I always felt like it needed 2nd & 1/2 and then wasn't really happy to be in top much below 70.

I also think it is most likely to have been an attempt to lower the volume on the ride by tests rather than to take advantage of any horsepower gains of the injected motor over that of the carburated ones.

Much like in the same way before clever electronics, a lot of bikes had their ignition retarded at around 5000 rpm which coincided with the top gear ride by.
Old 24-11-2020, 08:32 AM   #9
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I have 41 tooth on my tuned S4 its reduced the top speed from 150mph to a more usable 130mph but it gets there quick and it has made town riding and tractability much nicer
Old 24-11-2020, 08:58 AM   #10
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
I have a 41 rear on my 990ie too. Its a far better arrangement than standard for the riding that I do, mostly local occasional regional, under 100mph. Its definitely got the beans to rev freely through all the gears including 6th -but its got a few engine mods so maybe that is why?

Its good to try out different things as we all ride differently. Plus Ducati had their own reasons for the initial set up -maybe they just wanted to claim the highest top speed in a bike comparison within the 900 niche?