UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Re worked throttle levers

Old 30-10-2021, 05:03 PM   #1
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Re worked throttle levers

Mainly to see if I can post pics, here is my latest mod.

I started by making the throttle cable snail-cam from carbon fiber because the standard one is well over engineered, when I took that off I found the steel spacer behind it which a friend made me an Ali replacement, and from then on it kind of snowballed. so I've replaced the remaining bracket & levers with Titanium equivalents, hours of fun, although titanium is an odd material to work with, Easiest to work when red hot. In all I've shed 85gms. Bitza

Last edited by Bitza; 30-10-2021 at 05:16 PM..
Bitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 05:41 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
looks good, did you reduce the stock radius for quicker action?
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 08:51 PM   #3
Bitza
Bronze Member

Did consider changing snail-cam radius, but as its a road bike & I've adjusted crank balance factor to suit upper rev range, reduced flywheel by 1kg, a linear fast action throttle probably isn't what I need (for those times when you want to be inconspicuous). However I did wonder about making the cam spiral inward, making the throttle action progressively quick. Also a downside of fast action throttles (from experience) is that you start thinking that this bike is pretty good can't wait to see how it goes flat out, and then when you get a suitable opportunity you realise that you've already been going everywhere flat out.

A great hint if you fancy making a carbon cam is that the cap off a large rattle can makes the perfect mould. (with a bit of care you could even have droflaH embossed into your cam).

Last edited by Bitza; 30-10-2021 at 08:55 PM..
Bitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 07:46 AM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I love what you've done there Mike, excellent work and lot of critical geometry going on there that has to be faithfully reproduced.
Not too keen on working with Ti from my very limited experience and not too bothered about a gram or two here and there, but I do like the look of the carbon quadrant.
I'm assuming that you laminate the outer onto a piece of flat to form the channel for the cable?
Old 31-10-2021, 06:32 PM   #5
Bitza
Bronze Member

I'm assuming that you laminate the outer onto a piece of flat to form the channel for the cable?[/QUOTE]

Well Gary it's simpler than that, I simply cast a disc in the rattle can cap, drilled a 6mm hole in the centre, made a simple mandrel from nuts & a screw, then spun it up in a drill held in the vice, making the cable groove with a hacksaw. Then drilled the hole for the cable nipple + slot, open out the central hole into a slot(taking care to ensure a tight fit) then shape to suit. Pretty Blue Peter all in all.
Old 31-10-2021, 06:37 PM   #6
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
… and hopefully wearing a mask to avoid inhaling cf dust!
slob is offline   Reply With Quote