UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » S4 Lighting relay where is it ???

Old 08-08-2019, 06:08 PM   #16
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVC View Post
Well what a chuffing PITA that was ....

Good old Ducati had changed the wiring between my 2001 S4 and the Workshop manual I have for the 2002 S4 ..... and what had they changed ..... they have removed the stupidly, stupid capacitor/diode/piece of crap thingy that is hidden in the wiring loom on the side light circuit from the switch.

By pure luck I cut into the "bulky part" of the loom just behind the head stock to find than either side of a well hidden "lump" on the side light circuit I was getting no continuity ..... offending item bypassed as a test and all works ..... so now has been permanently removed and the two ends of the wire correctly connected and all is good again ..... you have got to love 18 year old dodgy italien electrics

For those interested here is the chuffing part that is dead and causing all the problems ....

Thanks all for your help - we got there in the end
There is no way that's factory fitted by the soldering for a start. Maybe he thought wiring poor standard in first place. Thought he knew better. I think not so.
Glad its sorted now.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #17
Flip

Well diodes are usually there to protect something- in this case something behind the Anode (non banded) side.

So where does that wire go to on the Cathode side (banded) and back to on the Anode?

My worry would be that it is there to protect the switch from getting direct voltage to it if it is switching the ground.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:36 PM   #18
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I'm sure I have a pdf copy of the S4 '01 factory manual filed away somewhere, which I may be able to send you. Mine's an '02 and you're right they did make a few changes to the wiring as the ECU was slightly different from '02 on.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #19
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
There is no way that's factory fitted by the soldering for a start. Maybe he thought wiring poor standard in first place. Thought he knew better. I think not so.
Glad its sorted now.
Yes it is pretty badly done - glad it's not OEM then I don't have to replace it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
Well diodes are usually there to protect something- in this case something behind the Anode (non banded) side.

So where does that wire go to on the Cathode side (banded) and back to on the Anode?

My worry would be that it is there to protect the switch from getting direct voltage to it if it is switching the ground.
Yes i wondered that as I've LR90 that used to burn out it's headlight switch due to the current running through them but this is the sidelight circuit so really low powered anyway ... weird one

Downstream side is the switch connector and then handlebar switch itself, upstream I haven't investigated further as it's all covered.

It is however now a permanent live with the ignition on from the 15A fuse in the fuse box (marked for lights).

I can always fit another diode ..... what do you guys think ?
Old 08-08-2019, 06:42 PM   #20
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I'm sure I have a pdf copy of the S4 '01 factory manual filed away somewhere, which I may be able to send you. Mine's an '02 and you're right they did make a few changes to the wiring as the ECU was slightly different from '02 on.
That would be most kind if possible ... Wetransfer is good for stuff like that and my email address is tony@wellsdomain.com
Old 08-08-2019, 07:10 PM   #21
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Now even more confused as I've just checked diode orientation and the cathode line is on the switch side of the diode .... which, unless I've got it wrong, means that the flow is from the fuse box towards the switch so the diode would only prevent a reverse flow back to the fuse box. So it wasn't/can't protect the switch from having a live current through it ?????

Old 08-08-2019, 08:37 PM   #22
Flip

We need to know where that blue wire physically starts (the fuse-if so which one and is it the correct rating?)and finishes (side light bulb?) and what if anything it passes through (the switch?).
Old 08-08-2019, 08:50 PM   #23
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
We need to know where that blue wire physically starts (the fuse-if so which one and is it the correct rating?)and finishes (side light bulb?) and what if anything it passes through (the switch?).
I assume it starts at the 15A lights/indicators fuse in the fuse box (as pulling this fuse stops the current through the blue wire) and I know it ends at the handlebar switch (pretty certain it's the sidelight circuit there as I was getting continuity on the main beam side but not sidelight side from the switch to the headlight connector until I bypassed the diode).

Note: Sidelight circuit has to be on first for the main beam to come on via the handlebar switch.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #24
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVC View Post
That would be most kind if possible ... Wetransfer is good for stuff like that and my email address is tony@wellsdomain.com
I just checked and it is the '02 one that I have not the '01, so same as the one you have. Sorry.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #25
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I just checked and it is the '02 one that I have not the '01, so same as the one you have. Sorry.
No worries thanks for looking (I haven't been able to find one for a 2001 hence why I have the 2002 .... will keep looking)
Old 09-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #26
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
There's a 2001 S4 owners manual (91370601F - printed 01/2001) on issuu with a wiring diagram on page 78, which might help.

https://issuu.com/marcoslara5/docs/d...wner_s_manu/78
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #27
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
There's a 2001 S4 owners manual (91370601F - printed 01/2001) on issuu with a wiring diagram on page 78, which might help.

https://issuu.com/marcoslara5/docs/d...wner_s_manu/78
Thank you, yes this confirms what I thought - fuse box to switch with no diode - still can't see why anyone added it though but won't be putting one back unless I discover a really good reason to.

Last edited by LVC; 09-08-2019 at 11:45 AM..
LVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:40 PM   #28
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Could it be anything to do with an alarm system. The quality of the soldering /joining looks nearly as bad as the alarm system fitted to my ZX9R when i bought it second hand.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #29
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
Could it be anything to do with an alarm system. The quality of the soldering /joining looks nearly as bad as the alarm system fitted to my ZX9R when i bought it second hand.
There isn't an alarm, just the factory immobilizer .... absolutely no idea why it was added
Old 09-08-2019, 10:40 PM   #30
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Have a look at the thread Lucaz started on the Ducati Forum, particularly the picture in post #3.

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/thread...this-for.4933/

It's a diode to stop a voltage spike travelling back down the loom when the starter solenoid disengages. Does your bike have one in the same place? If not, I'm wondering if yours was moved, as some posts suggest Ducati relocated it further up the loom to protect it from damage.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote