UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » 697 plugs, advice.

Old 31-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #1
Bob.E

Red face 697 plugs, advice.

Damn, just seen 696cc. (doh)

Hey all,
i need a couple of new spark plugs..... "so what" you may say or even just "so?"
Well, there's me looking on t'interweb and it turns out that there is not 2 types as I foolishly thought, there is, in fact six differing designation letters/numbers, all NGK. None of which match the two I tried cleaning earlier.

SHHHH! Previous 'bikes I've owned with t'plugs usually had two versions. One for normal riding and a super-duper, all gold, never to be beaten second set, usually double priced, for the 'discerning' rider. HAH!

Because Neil at Cornerspeed had closed by the time I realised to look, I'm now wondering if there are plugs to suit my Termi's and an upcoming Flashy thing appointment out there.

Any help? Or am I just hoping there's a type I actually need.

Any road up, A long post, I know.

TLDR; I want some sparky things for my Monster 696 2013.

Last edited by Bob.E; 31-08-2019 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: stupid heading
Old 31-08-2019, 07:52 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Your 696 runs the same standard plugs as my Evo, i.e. NGK DCPR8E with a 0.7-0.8mm gap tightened to 20Nm.

You shouldn't need to change the heat rating because of the Termi but, if you want to 'upgrade', you could do what I did and fit iridium plugs, NGK DCPR8EIX with a 0.9-1.0mm gap.

There are a couple of points to note if you do run iridium plugs; check out posts #4 & #8 here: http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=54154
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
Bob.E

Thanks Luddite, I read the linked post, so I'm going with the standard ones (NGK DCPR8E)

Really appreciate your help, Thanks.

Just found some for £5.95 each. Good deal.

Bob (no-shot)
Old 11-09-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
BobT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.E View Post
Damn, just seen 696cc. (doh)

I'm now wondering if there are plugs to suit my Termi's and an upcoming Flashy thing appointment out there.

If you don't tell the plugs that you have Temis fitted they will never know!

It is not a plug that you are buying it is a bit of air between two bits of metal. The spark will jump through that bit of air to the best of its ability.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #5
Bob.E

If you don't tell the plugs that you have Temis fitted they will never know!

It is not a plug that you are buying it is a bit of air between two bits of metal. The spark will jump through that bit of air to the best of its ability.

BobT, lol Now why didn't I think of that.
Took your advice, I took the 4 plugs out, seriously explained and physically shown them the Termi's they now understand and you know what, The bike goes a heck of a lot better now! ;-)