UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Tacho does not fit M750

Old 03-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #1
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Tacho does not fit M750

I have one of the rare LED Carbon Fibre DP tacho kits ,, tried fitting it to Monster 750 1997 model I just bought from Bilbo and it doeas not match the clocks or line up at at all,,

I will try it on my later 2000 model monster binnacle tommorow ,, ???
Old 04-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
jerry
Old Git

Im a numpty ,, thought it all fitted on with the standard steel support frame ,, alsa that goes and all bits are fitted to the flimsy C/F panel ,, hmmm???? but it looks good and works well ,,
Old 04-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
Im a numpty ,, thought it all fitted on with the standard steel support frame ,, alsa that goes and all bits are fitted to the flimsy C/F panel ,, hmmm???? but it looks good and works well ,,
What is the 'standard steel support frame'?

My 1997 900 clock set have plastic lugs moulded into them and the Carbon Fibre rev counter surround mounts over the top of them.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #4
jerry
Old Git

The original steel frame the clocks and lights were mounted on.
I had to remve all the bit from that and fit onto the carbon frame
o
Old 06-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #5
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I think Jerry means the standard .. aluminium .. dash panel.

I used to have one of these units and I agree .... the carbon dash looks too flimsy to support the speedo etc on its own .... because it is.
My initial thoughts were also that it is merely a cover for the std dash .. but this is not the case.
In my opinion, the design is poor.
Its as if the designer simply assumed that because a component is made from carbon fibre then it must by definition be strong, while neglecting all other mechanical considerations.
It doesn't help that the revcounter module itself is extremely heavy and is located at max distance from the two support bolts, thus giving max leverage and bounce.
I had one fitted to my 750 for about a year and the resultant bouncing of the speedo caused its mounting bolts to fracture (note that these bolts consist of two steel sections with a rubber piece bonded in the middle, presumably to deal with vibration, and they fractured at the bond).
Luckily, I managed to repair the bolts but it wasn't an easy fix and it could easily have cost me a new speedo.
Having said all that, I know that Flip has had one fitted for some time and has reported no problems ... and I do trust his mechanical judgement.
Maybe some essential part was missing from the secondhand unit that I had .. though tbh I can't really see how that could be.

The 750 doesn't really need a revcounter in my opinion anyway and my main reason for wanting one was to be able to work out which gear I was in and thus avoid searching for another gear which wasn't there.
A gear position indicator would probably be both more useful and simpler, though I usually get some flack for suggesting that I might fit one.
Tbh, all it really needs is an indicator for top gear only.
utopia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #6
Flip

Bike: M900
Ok, maybe I have missed something here but my speedo and light cluster is like this:

It mounts into threaded holes in the upright of the 'U' shaped part of the headlight bracket and to fit the rev counter assembly you simply remove the two 'pin type' screws (of which Nasher made some excellent Stainless Steel versions) holding it in place, fit the rev counter assembly over it and secure.

There should be some adhesive foam on the return edges of the rev counter assembly to prevent any untoward rattles against the plastic housing of the speedo but as Utopia rightly says- mine's been fitted for almost the age of the bike without any issues other than the slightly erratic dancing of the LED's themselves, which could be calmed down a bit if I could be bothered to.