UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » New kit and declaring it to insurance providers

Old 07-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
turbohobbit

New kit and declaring it to insurance providers

As many of you may know, I was unfortunate enough to bin my Monster a few weeks ago. The insurance company has ok'd the claim and the estimate, and those nice people at ProTwins are starting to get things together to do the repairs. I have agreed for a few upgrades to take place, chief amongst them a tail chop and fitting of Termis. I have a few questions on this:

1) Am I right in thinking that I will have to declare the changes to my insurance company as soon as I pick up the bike?

2) As Termis are considered Ducati's factory option provider, do they need to be declared or could it be taken that as the bike could have come out of the factory with them fitted I don't need to declare them?

3) Assuming both the tail tidy and Termis need to be declared, can I expect the insurance company to take account of my stack / claim when calculating my new excess or should this make no difference to the figure they're going to require that I pay?

Cheers!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Flip

Bike: M900
My understanding is it is a bit of a grey area as a lot of Insurance companies consider many 'modifications' as 'cosmetic' and therefore do not come under their 'increased performance' guidelines although if you have spent £2000 on a special paint job I am sure they would want to know about it if they thought they might have to pay to have it redone in the event of damage.

I would imagine the tail chop would be considered cosmetic and therefore no problem.

However, when I last spoke to an insurance broker about exhausts they told me as long as they didn't have 'Not for Road Use', 'Race Use Only' or words to that effect on them then they were considered cosmetic and didn't need to be declared. But if they were marked, that identified them as a performance upgrade and incurred a loading- oddly they didn't mention anything about them being illegal, which I should think is a whole other 'can' of worms should it ever be cited in a court case.

Last edited by Flip; 07-10-2013 at 06:31 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:59 AM   #3
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
It always pays to declare modifications otherwise the insurance company may deny all liability in the event of a claim

You may even be accused of obtaining insurance under false pretences
Old 11-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
turbohobbit

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Termis should be fine, Insurance companies tend not to care as long as the performance gain is less than 10% but definitely declare them.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
I declared my termis but none of the other mods. When some twat knocked me off and broke everysingle mod, the insurance company replaced it.

Though I sent the bike to Rosso Corse and he just put in the estimate which included all the mods.

I recommend not getting knocked off though.
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
turbohobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzi View Post
I recommend not getting knocked off though.
Well yes, I'm starting to be of the opinion that it's highly overrated.