UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » 2001 S4 Electrical problems ?

Old 07-06-2017, 11:06 AM   #1
Chris W

2001 S4 Electrical problems ?

Hello there MOC, I'm a newbie who desperately needs HELP with my 2001 S4 Challenge Cup Monster.

I bought this at the end of 2016, it had been stored unused for appox 6 years, I've always wanted a Ducati and hated to see it wasting away. Filled it with petrol, new motobatt battery and she started and ran OK. Put away for winter and now I'm having problems.

Only starting on 1 cylinder, which I thought was the front coil stick, which I found bulging and the plastic surround cracked, looked on this site and saw that other had used other bikes coil sticks, before spending on new Duacti I bought 4 CBR600 sticks. Still not starting on both, swap coil sticks over, still running on same pot as before, swapped plugs and other pot now working so thought is was the plug, bought 2 new plugs and now nothing but the odd poping.

Checked all wiring, side stand switch is ok, cleaned connectors, still poping and spluttering, but not running, so investigate the immobiliser and found 1 pin with a small amount of corrosion. I then tried to remove the sealant to look inside, yes I know now how stupid that was now, but was getting frustrated at not sorting this out. I've had loads of bikes but its my first Ducati.

Bought a 2nd hand immobiliser, fitted it and yes it works, but how do I programme this into the ECU. I have the red key & 2 black keys, Plus the code & card + Spare ECU. But can't seem to find any explanation of the process for disabling the immobiliser using the code.

Also remove the fuel filter from the tank, all clean, connectors good, and fuel pump working at start up.

Sorry for the lenght of post & how stupid I've been with immobilser, but I need help to get this Monster back on the road.. Hope you can advise....
Old 07-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I think the process for the immobilser is in the workshop manual. Someone on here has a PDF file that they can probably send you. I think I have one somewhere too.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
Chris W

Darren, That would be great, I need to remove the immobilser from the equation, unless it really was at fault, I still can't understand why it was only running on 1 pot & then swapped over.

I've read on MOC about re-flashing the ECU to remove the immobiliser, that might be best for me ?

Are there any members who can advise if this is a good plan.

Any other ideas gratefully received as I really don't like electrical problems...
Old 07-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Being in Castle Donington, you aren't too far away from Neil at Cornerspeed.
I have no personal experience of his talents but he does have an excellent reputation and I believe he knows a thing or two about electronics/ecu issues.
.....which is more than I do.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The copy I have is for the '02 bike, which may be slightly different. If you PM me your email addr, I'll see if I can find it and send you a copy. The immobiliser is a PITA but I don't think it would cause the issues you have, with running on 1. Neil did mention to me that he may be able to re-flash the ecu and take off the immobilser or he knew someone who could do it.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
....it had been stored unused for appox 6 years... Filled it with petrol, new motobatt battery and she started and ran OK.
Belts presumably have been done???

Any pictures??

Have you done all of the basics? Checked all fuel lines? Any spark (not unknown for new plugs to have a problem)? HT leads on the right way?

Last edited by Blah blah; 07-06-2017 at 05:22 PM..
Blah blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:55 PM   #7
Chris W

Thanks for the help and advice.

Belts have only done 675 miles, but I will be doing them when I finally get her up and running.
Which belts are best?
Will post pictures when all back together again & learnt my way round this site.
Checked the fuel lines and when trying to start, looking down the inlets the injectors are squirting in fuel.
Sparking seem to be only occasional which is why I thought the original immobiliser was duff.
This is why I need to bypass it and try to fix the other issue if there is one. How does the code system work on these early S4's
Old 09-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
Chris W

All thanks for the advice, tried it all and now at my wits end.

Spoke to Neil at Cornerspeed who was very helpful and suggested several things which I have done, but she still won't start.
As suggested i checked & cleaned the starter motor cable, which was corroded and hoped that would help, but no better. Removed the crank sensor, no obvious damage, so re-fitted it, checked the key antenna hadn't moved, all good and in place. Swapped plugs & coil packs and still only get 1 good spark on each pot before no more sparks.
Can I ask if the code light should be fully on when trying to start the bike, it turns over but the light is on all the time, until you disengage the starter when it starts flashing again is this normal?

If the immobiliser is working, will the engine turn over & work the injectors or would it not turn over at all. Note when the stand is down it won't turn over so I think that is OK.

Any help much appreciated, and should this post be somewhere else on the site?
Old 09-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #9
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
Belts have only done 675 miles, but I will be doing them when I finally get her up and running.
Which belts are best?
Hi Chris.

Belts replacements are more usually triggered by age of belt rather than mileage.
Two years of fitment is Ducati's recommended service replacement interval, whether used or not over that period.
Some on here stretch that to three years provided the engine has been used periodically so that the same bit of each belt isn't left wrapped around the sharper radius of the pulleys for too long.
Belts are relatvely cheap and are a viable DIY prospect for most.
Belt failure would have a major impact on the engine: valves on pistons, so tends to be terminal. It's more relaxing to know you aren't risking "Hand grenade mode" each time you start it.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #10
Chris W

Darkness, thanks for the advice. I've seen original, daycom? & some fancy special American belts. But, I need to find the problem with the bike first, any ideas as I'm struggling.
Does the immobiliser stop the engine turning over? Or just stop it sparking.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:50 PM   #11
Chris W

Many thanks to All, especially Luddite who suggested Avanti, I got in touch with Avanti as suggested and can't praise them enough for the time & effort trying to help me sort the bike, Antony spent some time looking for info & provided several methods to try to unlock the immobiliser.
However, non worked, perhaps as it was a 2nd hand unit, so sent the ECU to Avanti to have the immobiliser removed by re-flashing the ECU, it was returned within 24 hours, re-fitted and the bike fired up straight away. What a result and a great relief.
Fantastic service from Avanti & great Customer support. Many thanks to all MOC who responded.