UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Choice of Tyres

Old 24-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Choice of Tyres

Hi all,

I'm currently altering my road going 1994 Monster and fitting a S2R 1000 lump which will hopefully now giving something 103bhp @ 8,000 with 80lbs/ft or 90Nm of torque @5,500. Previously I've used 120/70 front & 160/60 rear with Michelin Pilot Power, which have been good without feeling great, (wet grip is limited and dry edge grip not always confidence building, wear limited but acceptable for my use). I'm now going to use a larger 5.50 rear wheel, and increase the tyre size to 180/55, as apposed to a 170/60 due to the speedo issues. I've been considering switching to Perelli rubber, and the Diablo Rosso III seems to offer a good option, rather than going with Supercorsa's. What experience have you lot had with these tyres? Thanks Bitza.
Old 24-04-2018, 07:07 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I had a couple of pairs of Pirelli Diablo Stradas, which are a bit old fashioned now and still a single compound tyre. They have a great feel to them though and excellent wet grip.

The Angel ST superseded those.
I'm over halfway through a pair of those, so far they have acquitted themselves well, with some excellent performance over Dartmoor in the pissing rain and fog, later at crazy speeds on a drenched motorway and sodden Cornish lanes.

I attended a machine handling course last year and the front Angel demonstrated some outrageous grip in braking exercises, the rear not being much use up in the air!
(Never use your back brake in a emergency stop, as the gyro effect of the still rotating wheel, will stabilize the bike when airborne.)

Those are both all weather tyres and have been superseded by the Angel GT ( also available with a stiffer carcass for heavy bikes).
Not tried a pair of those yet, but next time.

P.S. Angel GT has better performance on paper than the Michelin PR4

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 24-04-2018 at 07:16 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #3
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
I like, and have just bought a set of pilot power 2cts, they take a while to warm but I really like them
Old 24-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #4
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I really like PP 2CTs, RossoIII are a similar level of performance but probably a little more forgiving of suspension setting. Supercorsas are an incredible tyre both SP for road and SC compounds for track use but probably risky given UK weather predictability and need to be thrashed hard to get warmed up properly (SCs will degrade quickly if you don’t use tyre warmers). I didn’t get on with Road Angels but tyres are almost always a very personal choice. Consider Pilot Road 3 or 4, a very capable all rounder with excellent wet performance.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 07:12 AM   #5
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

I didn’t really get on with the 2CT myself but am currently using Bridgestone S20 evo and so far very impressed with them, seem to be getting excellent reviews.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

The Diablo Rosso III are great in the dry but not so good in the wet; they need heat to work well and there is so little tread. I suppose like the Supercorsas but less extreme.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote