UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Oil pressure

Old 25-07-2020, 08:23 PM   #1
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Bike: M900ie
Oil pressure

Help
I’ve had the starter motor fail on my recently rebuilt 2000 M900ie motor upto the starter fail I had oil pressure and the engine ran. A mate of mine gave me a starter motor which he had spare from when he had a 1994 M900 so I have fitted it this afternoon and luckily the engine didn’t start as I now have no oil pressure. Levels are ok has anybody got any ideas? The only casing I removed was the alternator cover so I’m confused as to what has happened.

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Ian
Old 26-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #2
BobT

Never seen an engine with oil pressure till it is running. Yours did not start so how would it have oil pressure?
Old 26-07-2020, 10:36 AM   #3
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Read the post again

The bike had oil pressure prior to the starter failure, fitted new starter engine turns over but no oil pressure. It’s standard practice after an engine rebuild to turn the engine over without plugs to check oil pressure is there.
Old 26-07-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Give Neil a ring at Cornerspeed.

http://cornerspeed.co.uk/
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
I've had a similar issue with two monsters, try removing the pipes to the oil cooler & turn the engine over with the plugs out, when oil is pumping out of the oil cooler pipes you know that you've got oil pressure.
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 10:55 AM   #6
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Tried removing the oil pressure switch nothing coming through.
Old 26-07-2020, 01:30 PM   #7
BobT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
The bike had oil pressure prior to the starter failure, fitted new starter engine turns over but no oil pressure. It’s standard practice after an engine rebuild to turn the engine over without plugs to check oil pressure is there.
No need to take that tone. I may not have rebuilt any bike, car or aircraft engines this year, but am not stupid and have done hundreds in the past. I can only read what you have written.
If you think that changing the starter has affected the oil pressure then that is fine by me.
Old 26-07-2020, 02:01 PM   #8
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

The question was originally can anybody who knows the 2v engine think of a reason ie have I done something inadvertently. Everything was ok upto the starter fail now it isn’t. There does not appear to be a link other than me draining the oil to change the starter.
Old 26-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #9
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
When you replaced the alternator cover, did you use Threebond (or similar)? If so, is it possible that some of it may have blocked an oilway?
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 04:20 PM   #10
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobT View Post
No need to take that tone. I may not have rebuilt any bike, car or aircraft engines this year, but am not stupid and have done hundreds in the past. I can only read what you have written.
If you think that changing the starter has affected the oil pressure then that is fine by me.
What tone was that? I didn't see anything controversial in any post

You've probably just lost the prime in the oil pump that's all.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 05:35 PM   #11
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
This is quite mysterious!
You've obviously changed oil in the past with no problems, but do you fill the filter before installing it? maybe you didn't change it anyway in this instance?
Did you lean the bike to the right to operate on the starter? I have done this to re-fit the alternator cover as it keeps residual oil away from the gasket face.. Maybe that could let air into the pump?
I personally wouldn't release the cooler lines to check for flow as that is the direct feed to the big ends, and it's more likely to introduce air into that loop.
Possibly some oil drained down from the cooler if you did the right leaning thing?

I think I would try squirting some oil down the pressure switch hole, which might dislodge an air bubble, or might not.
You also get a good jet of oil aiming at the filler cap which is evident if you remove the cap. (and messy!)
I doubt any sealer would have found it's way to the pick up so quickly, and the strainer would stop it anyway.

I think the only way forward is to spin it for as long as you dare with the plugs out and see if you get a flow.
Old 26-07-2020, 05:43 PM   #12
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
Pooh,
Have a read of this he sorted his problem.
https://www.ducatimonster.org/thread...solved.169235/
Old 26-07-2020, 06:23 PM   #13
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Since last post I have removed oil pump to check all ok that appears fine. While oil pump off blew through oil ways (yes very messy) removed oil switch and turned over motor no oil at pressure switch. Gazza when I changed the starter motor I dropped all of the oil which had only been in for a week and 5 minutes running didn’t change filter as also new. From memory there are no oil ways through the alternator cover so can’t see threebond being the issue.

It’s looking as though I’m going to have to pull the engine out and split the cases again which will be really annoying.

Ian
Old 26-07-2020, 08:20 PM   #14
chris.p
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Since last post I have removed oil pump to check all ok that appears fine. While oil pump off blew through oil ways (yes very messy) removed oil switch and turned over motor no oil at pressure switch. Gazza when I changed the starter motor I dropped all of the oil which had only been in for a week and 5 minutes running didn’t change filter as also new. From memory there are no oil ways through the alternator cover so can’t see threebond being the issue.

It’s looking as though I’m going to have to pull the engine out and split the cases again which will be really annoying.

Ian
Ring Neil at Cornerspeed first.
Old 27-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #15
chris.p
Gold Member

To be fair it sounds to me that the oil pump is not primed, as I said, Give Neil at Cornerspeed a ring.