UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Capo.

Old 19-07-2020, 09:39 PM   #31
bex

RIP Capo..
Old 20-07-2020, 10:20 AM   #32
LouSCannon
These must fit a Monster?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Very sad to hear this, RIP Capo, certainly a character I will remember in my life. Never seen him move as fast as he did towards the smoking area upon landing after Italy, he could shift!
Old 22-07-2020, 07:42 PM   #33
david.hicks

Just heard the news. I only knew Capo through a few WDW trips over the last few years. Great memories - even though he could indeed be a very annoying so-and-so at times. On one occasion we pretended he was my Dad to get him into the shade, seating, free food and drink of the VIP area in the grandstand at Misano. He was like a pig in **** chatting up the dolly birds and waxing lyrical to the Italian air display team. He insisted I have a go on his bike as a thank you. Makes me smile to think about that day! Ride free you old bugger.
Old 24-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #34
ANDRI-973

Ciao Capo, thanks for being a true friend and for all the good times spent together, there will be a great void in our hearts ..
Old 25-07-2020, 06:36 PM   #35
marchesini
Um, thinking of something

Bike: S4r
Gone but not forgotten

Once I’d heard he wasn’t well a few weeks back, I called him where we had one of hour long chats as he was waiting to be discharged from the hospital. He was in remarkably good spirits and was determined to go home and ‘beat this thing’. It was on my to to-do list to catch up with him in person but unfortunately, Old Father Time beat me to it.

I’m incredibly sad that I won’t be able to have one last trip with the old boy as he was great company - at least for me. I think if you look up ‘cantankerous’ in the dictionary, you would find Stewart smiling back at you. He was, as others have said, a difficult old bugger to get along with but once you got past that grumpy exterior, was a good soul. I was fortunate enough to share many good road trips with him, countless chats putting the world to rights and so many unpolitically correct rants that would make many a snowflake explode in anger. It still makes me chuckle how un-PC he was but think the world has lost one of its true characters.

I’ll miss not sharing a steak and an orange juice and lemonade on the Italian coast one last time. I’d like think he’s in a better place now and berating someone for ‘not doing it right’.

Ride on Stewart.

IMG-2083
IMG-2119
IMG-1944

Last edited by marchesini; 25-07-2020 at 06:43 PM..
marchesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #36
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
Never met capo myself but from the photos and comments on here he was very highly regarded and was one of life’s good guys. RIP
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #37
stopintime

Bike: S2r
Made a friend in Misano during a couple of WDWs.

One of them sharing a room in "our" villa. No sleep for me. Otherwise great guy. I'll hold on to the many S4R documents he wrote.

Thanks.

RIP
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 09:11 PM   #38
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Bike: M900ie
RI P Capo sleep tight.

Pooh
Old 26-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #39
Wasta

Bike: M900
RIP Capo, sad news.
Old 27-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #40
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
A few more tales of Stewart.

I mentioned that we first met at a club trackday at Mallory but I didn't say exactly how.
It was my first ever trackday and I was in the novice group.
After a few sessions Stewart came up to me in the paddock and complimented me on my riding.
I gave him a puzzled look to which he responded "No, I don't mean you were fast ... but you were very courteous to slower riders and resisted the temptation to dive under them at corners, preferring to hold back and then pass them on the following straight".
I was impressed both that he had noticed and that he had taken the trouble to seek me out and mention it.

I went on four or five trips to Italy with Stewart.
Indeed I would probably never have seen the place at all if it hadn't been for his insistence that I tagged along on the first trip that we shared, to the EICMA exhibition in 2013.
I was skint at the time but Stewart made me accept his offer to fund my share of the trip.
It didn't cost me a penny at the time (although of course I later repaid him) and he even insisted that what little money I had available should be reserved for buying duty free tobacco on the return through Belgium.

Subsequently we went on trips to WDW every other year.
Stewart would arrange the hire of two or three sprinter vans and fit them out with chocks so we could put four bikes in each and drive to Italy, arriving with fresh oil and tyres.
He would organise the journey down to the last detail .. and woe betide anyone who hadn't studied and fully digested the details on the infamous clipboards.
He would be sure to pack a crate of english beers and a couple of bottles of HP sauce to give to our hosts in the 100HP club .. and some treats to give to the dog at the B&B (he had a soft spot for dogs).
Stewart struggled with the heat in Italy and I remember, now with fondness, the night he insisted on having the fan in our twin room going full blast all night long. I said that I couldn't sleep because of the noise, to which his response was that he didn't give a ****.
He could be blunt like that and it sometimes got peoples backs up, including mine, but what he really meant was that he would struggle to breathe in the stifling heat.
I went and slept in the garden .. and actually found that most enjoyable and did the same for the rest of the trip. I still remember watching the moon cross over the valley with the crickets and cicadas singing.

Back in blighty, Stewart used to visit me in Leicester every few weeks, for years.
He would usually bring some little motorcycle related trinket as he said he didn't like to come empty handed. Indeed, Stewart gave me the first piece of titanium that ever adorned my bike .. a front wheel spindle nut, which is still there and always will be.
I would make us a meal, as cooking wasn't Stewart's strong point. A regular favourite was sausages, baked potatoes, a huge dollop of my homemade coleslaw and some spicy chutney. He would often bring the sausages .. lincolnshire, of course.
He would invariably bring me a drawing of something that he needed making for his bike and I would set to on the lathe in the interim.

The attention to detail on that bike of his was phenomenal ... I once had to make him a titanium rivet with which to reassemble his lightened seat latch !!!
That S4R tipped the scales at a mere 153kg ... I know this to be true because we hung it on spring balances from the beam in my shed.

I have lost count of the many discussions that we had on the technicalities of motorcycle engineering.
His knowledge was extensive but he retained an open mind towards new ideas (but you had to be persistant) .. so I would do my best to offer them at every opportunity.
We both enjoyed these discussions immensely.

And we fell out a few times.
With Stewart, this was something that you just had to accept .. and usually be the one to make amends too.
In retrospect, it was worth it.
I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 06:31 PM   #41
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Lovely thoughts jeff
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #42
Doggy

Bike: M796
Great stories and memories .
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #43
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
The last time I met Capo he was not only fed up with being ill, but also a bit stir crazy with the lockdown.
At that point the Fenman, due to happen on the August Bank Holiday, had not been cancelled.
Capo said he was going to ring round a few friends and book up a Hotel in Wimbotsham or Downham Market for a good old get together and nosh up, and then go to the show.

It's one in the ideas box for next year if the plague has passed? Capo's last Supper?
Old 27-07-2020, 08:31 PM   #44
Moco1961

Great memories Jeff, thanks for sharing.
Old 27-07-2020, 09:33 PM   #45
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
The last time I met Capo he was not only fed up with being ill, but also a bit stir crazy with the lockdown.
At that point the Fenman, due to happen on the August Bank Holiday, had not been cancelled.
Capo said he was going to ring round a few friends and book up a Hotel in Wimbotsham or Downham Market for a good old get together and nosh up, and then go to the show.

It's one in the ideas box for next year if the plague has passed? Capo's last Supper?
What a cracking idea.
The Fenman is one of my favourite events and we usually manage to get a decent club turnout but the addition of the hotel would make it more accessible to members from further afield who could then travel over on the saturday.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote