UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Monster S4R question

Old 17-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #1
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Monster S4R question

Good evening all,thought I'd start a thread about the above bike,always good to have a discussion on here!!

At the moment I have a M900ie Dark and also a BMW R1200GS and for some strange reason I am getting tempted to get an S4R.i had the first 916 in Cambridge many years ago so I'm familiar with the engine.I just love the look of them and would like to think one day...yep...had one of those.

Soooo,would be interested in any feedback as to what these bikes are like.Obviously they are rapid and probably handle really well but are they reliable (yes,I did follow the thread by Dilkris) No problem if people say...noway,don't do it !! But,what are they like to live with?

I also get the feeling they might become an appreciating "classic" but what do you guys reckon? Answers on a postcard please hahaha.

Thanks in anticipation

Kimbo

Last edited by walkingpictures; 17-07-2020 at 05:00 PM..
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 05:06 PM   #2
Darkness

Bike: M900
If you want an “Appreciating Classic”, the S4RS in Tricolore livery is the one to have. They have all the bells and whistles and it’s the one Ducati themselves copied on the Anniversario Monster. Current costs reflect that however!

Last edited by Darkness; 17-07-2020 at 07:15 PM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 10:15 PM   #3
Martin Duke

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingpictures View Post
Good evening all,thought I'd start a thread about the above bike,always good to have a discussion on here!!

At the moment I have a M900ie Dark and also a BMW R1200GS and for some strange reason I am getting tempted to get an S4R.i had the first 916 in Cambridge many years ago so I'm familiar with the engine.I just love the look of them and would like to think one day...yep...had one of those.

Soooo,would be interested in any feedback as to what these bikes are like.Obviously they are rapid and probably handle really well but are they reliable (yes,I did follow the thread by Dilkris) No problem if people say...noway,don't do it !! But,what are they like to live with?

I also get the feeling they might become an appreciating "classic" but what do you guys reckon? Answers on a postcard please hahaha.

Thanks in anticipation

Kimbo
They are a lot of fun! I have a S4RS in (my favourite colour) pearlescent white/red frame which I bought on a whim 3 years ago - I also have a S2R800, a Multistrada 1100 and a 999. They are all 'keepers' for different reasons - I don't really like the newer Monsters, for me the S2R models are the last of what I consider to be real Monsters. Just my personal opinion!

The S4RS never fails to put a smile on my face - if I had to keep just one bike that is the one I'd choose. I do think they are well balanced, it is plenty fast enough but also stops well and it sounds lovely (mine has a full Termi system) - the sound is really addictive.

You wouldn't be disappointed if you bought one!

Cheers, Martin
Martin Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 12:11 AM   #4
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Have to agree there the 800 Monster and S2R's were the last of the classic trellis proper monsters.
The new gen are good but to my mind lack something.
The quattro motors are kin awesome, I have a 748R which is an amazing piece of kit to ride, it's a shame they put the 916 in the S4R as the 748 is the proper capacity for the bore, the 916 is an overbore.
Buy with a 50:50 of heart and realistic expectation, sod it you want an S4R so go get one, life is short, too short not to regret getting one.

Last edited by Nickj; 18-07-2020 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: Long night drinking with neighbours and ratted
Nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 04:21 PM   #5
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

916 motor was the S4

S4R & RS use either 996cc or 998cc depending on year

Any nice unmolested RS is a good buy if the price is right as they are appreciating. S4R is also a lot of fun
Old 19-07-2020, 02:50 AM   #6
Leamreject

S4R my best ever monster

My first Monster was an S4R, and I traded it for an M1100 Evo, I soooo miss the S4R it was superb for performance and handling and every mile was a smile mile.

The prices for these older beauties are on the up but worth every penny. Not sure my Evo or M821 will increase in the same way over time, but one can hope😎
Old 19-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #7
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Thanks for all the replies and good to see that they're all in favour

Looks like the Kimbo piggy bank is going to get raided in the not too distant future after I've sorted a few logistics out.

Cheers all
Old 02-08-2020, 01:16 PM   #8
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Hi all,hope everyone's doing ok.Quick update on this thread in that last week I took the plunge,destroyed my piggy bank and got myself an immaculate low mileage S4RS

Haven't had chance to take it out yet due to weekend excessive alcoholic intake but looking forward to a run out on it this week.

Thanks for nudging me in the right direction

Kimbo
Old 03-08-2020, 12:26 PM   #9
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Pictures required, bins in shot not obligatory.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #10
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Obvs I need to take some proper photos but here's a starter
Old 03-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Nice full Termi system and not choppered either, but who would an RS?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote