UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Grab some biscuits and brew, this is a long read.

Old 24-07-2020, 11:08 AM   #46
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Quite rapid vehicles with a few mod’s.

https://youtu.be/1BmX4ip0808
Not totally electric though
Old 26-06-2021, 10:16 AM   #47
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Got the chance to ride a battery powered bike this week so it would have been rude to refuse.

The Zero SR/F is a naked bike which looks well made with some nice touches, such as a clean belt drive with the front sprocket concentric with the swing arm so belt tension is constant. It comes with fully adjustable suspension, twin front disks and single rear. The “fuel” tank has a large stash in it for the charge cable if you need it when out and about if you don’t take it there is enough room to take a packed lunch including a drink, there’s even a couple of USB charging points there for your phone/sat nav. Battery pack comes with a 5 year unlimited mile warranty.

Once I had been shown the controls and been given the keys I was on my own, it’s a weird sensation sitting on a bike with the key on and there being no sound at all as the bike is ready and “running”. With no clutch or gear lever all I had to do was twist the throttle and off I went. I must admit I did try to change gear once or twice but soon got into the swing of things and found it very easy to get on with. I left the dealer with the battery showing 96% charge available and 116 miles range. I was out for over an hour and a half, clocked up around 36 miles (had to fight my way out of Bristol) and returned the bike with 68% charge left and over 80 miles range. The manufacturer claims 161 city miles, 82 Highway miles and 109 combined, based on my ride I think this is about right.

So what’s it like to ride, in a word, brilliant. The bike is very quiet and although it weighs in at 226k it feels very light in traffic, filtering is exceptionally easy especially with no clutch to feather and as for the traffic light GP you are the king of the road. Once out of town I got the chance to open it up and it has plenty of go, I went out on “street” mode (3rd of 5 modes) and returned in Sport. Overtakes were very easy and quick with just a twist of the wrist with only a whine from the motor. “Engine breaking” on street is about the same as an inline 4. Sport mode which gives a noticeable increase in throttle response with less re-gen so “engine breaking” is reduced but the grunt on offer is impressive. The braking is very good with plenty of feel when using the front brake but a little disappointing using the rear, like a lot of bikes it could do with a bit more power. The handling is very good and feels much like any other bike, it’s stable in the corners and flicks over left to right quite nicely.

There are however a couple of downsides, although the display is large, clear and very easy to read, the only thing that changes is the speedo (no rev counter) and the power left gauge. I found it too sensitive to light, in the sun it has a white background and in the dark it turns black but I found it turned black even if there was a cloud. The suspension is quite stiff and sporty, which aids the handling but not too comfortable on North Somerset’s crap roads. The cruise control is basically a throttle lock, to change speed it has to be disengaged and re-engaged at the new speed. The biggest downside (for me anyway) is that it’s physically too small, at 6’ 3” I soon felt cramped on the bike so although I really enjoyed my ride on the Zero it’s not for me. However if they make a bigger one with a longer range I would definitely consider buying one.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:51 AM   #48
mickj

Anyone interested in having a go on a battery bike and live close enough to Fowlers in Bristol should go there on 21 and 22 of this month. They are having a couple of "ZERO" days with dems all day on both days. I believe there will be at least two of every bike in the range so you should be able to get out on a couple. I have nothing to do with Fowlers.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:35 PM   #49
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I'm well pleased you took the opportunity to try the Zero out Mick. A nice honest appraisal too and a good write up.
The Zero SR/F is a very good motorbike and you have to forgive a few shortcomings and niggles really as it is something of a pioneer.
What it proves is that you CAN have an electric naked superbike. It's really quite a fantastic experience.
Please do open your mind and try one folks, there's nothing to lose, except perhaps that you might like it too much?

Nathan's shop are getting in their Energica Eva Ribelle demo bikes soon and I'm bursting to ride one of those. They are Red, Italian and even more powerful than the Zero with more range and shorter charging times too... Bring it on..
Old 13-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #50
mickj

Thanks for that Mr Gazza, I have written quite a few little reviews of my current bikes, past bikes and various dems I've had over the last couple of years but not posted on this forum as it seems most are only interested in Ducati's, (and air cooled at that). This is the first non Ducati review I've seen here.
Old 13-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #51
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgt View Post
This is the first non Ducati review I've seen here.
Maybe not exactly a review as such but non-Ducati all the same.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ght=Moto+guzzi
Old 13-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #52
Omar

Bike: M1100evo
An interesting review. I can see the advantages of an electric bike for commuting perhaps but as others have said, as something to ride for pleasure it may miss the mark? Motorcycling is for me a visceral experience, I choose to ride characterful motorcycles. I doubt even Ducati can build an electric engine with character?
Omar is offline   Reply With Quote