UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Grab some biscuits and brew, this is a long read.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:58 PM   #16
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Great write up.

I expect everyone (95%) will find the same and will drop their petrol heads for an electric one as soon as their wallet and the bikes range are suited to their personal requirements.

Very, very ugly looking graphics & styling, but thats the simplest thing to resolve.

Everyone has already covered the points I'd make save for two:
1. Beware all who are expecting a petrol bike they own to remain an investment/ retain its value unless its a seriously rare exotic one...
2. Go and quieten down your Monster pipes!
Old 02-07-2020, 03:43 PM   #17
Stinger101

Bike: M1200s
Nice write up Gazza. Actually, the best I've read. Perhaps 'coz I know you and recognise your enthusiasm. It makes me want to try one! It'll take a shed load of torque to drag me off a 1200s though. Or similar!
Stinger101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:23 PM   #18
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
....Can someone please put my name down for a ride on Ducati's first electric bike?
https://www.ducati.com/gb/en/e-bike/...imited-edition

And only €8.890.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #19
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Thanks to everyone for your kind words and positive interest.
It's good to hear from you Stinger. The bike I rode is reckoned to be equivalent to a litre bike and I would say that's about right. (More go than my 900 for sure), so I don't think it would drag you off your 1200s, but book a test ride for the next time you are out this way. I think you will still walk away with a grin and certainly make much more use of that torque than I did. It's a lot of fun.
It won't be very long before they can put a motor in that will be nearer or better than the 1200, but the batteries have got to keep up, so I doubt you would ride for very long at the same rate as your 1200s.

Some interesting comparisons, if you're interested. https://youtu.be/FBPbagsRhf0

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 02-07-2020 at 05:32 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:39 PM   #20
Kingfisher88

I'm glad you enjoyed it what a great write up too.
A few things I could also shed some light on from reading the comments too.
Firstly the electric production side of things, after reading many things on this I have found that in the last 20-30 years we as a nation are using alot less energy, enough supposedly that if 90% of people switch over night to electric vehicles the grid will cope fine, the only issue being if everyone comes home, plugged in to charge, turn on the cookers and kettles ect at the same time if would be to bigger peak at once but I thing they are working on timed chargers for home to delay the charge.

Saint aka ML, the super moto bike (fxs) is only fitted with a half size battery, but even still 30miles on a charge, you must have been spanking it fairly , we usually say 40-70miles for those with normal riding, but we do have a customer in London that has squeezed 100miles on one. With the other models that have full size batteries you will get a realistic 60-100 miles quite happily.

On the power front... the Srf is a nice pokey bit of kit with loads of torque, but there is room for more power in the motor I believe so it might be a 1200 beater one day

Gazza, I would love to see what ducati could do with electric too one day hopefully soon.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:43 PM   #21
Kingfisher88

Oh, and Energica, an Italian brand have DC charging that you can fully charge in 20mins. Only reason zero dont currently do this is dc charging stations are less common at the moment, so the put much higher Ac charging systems on that is more common and easy to find charge points for currently. But as the charging networks improve 20 mins or even less is very realistic for bikes.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:07 PM   #22
emzedder

Bike: Other Ducati
I might consider one for £4k but that's about it. They need to be much cheaper and assured battery life but it will come.
emzedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:16 PM   #23
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Thank you for the extra info Nathan, and also thank you very much indeed for a cracking ride out.
I daresay that you will point your boss towards this thread? I feel I have been unfair about the looks and styling since I wrote it and made too much of a big thing about it. In fact I don't think it looks so bad now and to be fair there are very few production bikes, especially nowadays, that I like the looks of. Moto Morini's Milano would be an exception, and of course I love the first generation Monsters. So please convey my apologies for over egging that particular pudding and putting my irrelevant opinion in yer face!

Oh and also let him know I'm available if he needs any more chicken strips taking off...
Old 02-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #24
Kingfisher88

Thanks, to be fair the looks tend to grow on you I find. Although there is a few changes I would make if i had one, all fairly easy that i think would make it much more pleasing to the eye. R&G do a tail tidy for them to put the plate where it should be and get rid if the rear spoiler thingy.
I will show him this tomorrow
Old 02-07-2020, 09:06 PM   #25
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I've been following these for a while and at the moment there just aren't enough fast charging points available.
Most times I take either of my bikes out for a decent run I'll burn 2-3 tanks of fuel, that's 250 odd miles. Last week I scooted off with one of my neighbours for a little run that ended up in Teignmouth (350 mile round trip) ... not sure why but that'd where we ended up. Anyway you slice it that would be a few recharges and that assumes you could find the high output units ( 45-60 mins to 95% charge) not the more common slow chargers (IRO 4 hours to 95%) .. and that you were signed up to use that companies charger network ... and that there was even an available charger .. and that you have a compatible high rate charge connecter cable (not a given unfortunately)
So rather than a 7 hour jaunt it would end up around 10+ maybe more as an S2R chasing a blade gets a bit thirsty, a Zero would work as hard.
Today it would be difficult to get to north wales unless you went around wales as charger availibity is dire, not sure if the RAC/AA boosters would do it
It's batteries and charger networks.. both are getting better but they aren't better enough yet
Old 02-07-2020, 09:14 PM   #26
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Oh and I would go for the FXS but 100 city miles, maybe 50-75 really using it out of city makes it only just on the right side of chocolate teapot for what I use a bike for today.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:26 PM   #27
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
A good read Gary, I enjoyed it.

However, as with all electric vehicles, I agree with Utopia about our ability as a nation to supply enough juice. Also, (to get astride my hobby horse), the Government on the one hand is encouraging more electric vehicles presumably to comply with their climate change obligations and yet they will not want to forgo the billions of revenue they receive from fuel duty & vat levied on diesel & petrol, especially now that UK debt exceeds GDP. Electric vehicles will be taxed just as much if not more than conventional vehicles once the tipping point is reached, guaranteed!

Bigrednostradamus
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:12 PM   #28
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
No doubt electric is the future, and it's everything you say including a superior form of propulsion. I drive an electric vehicle daily and there is no way I would go back to fossil fuel now.
That said it's a work vehicle, it serves a purpose, it's not a toy. Would I buy an electric toy? Never. There is something about having thousands of small explosions held in by lumps of metal, the shape and size of which obliges a rev range, all controlled by a clutch. It's alive, it has character, you get to know how it feels, you can tell when it's not happy or when it's singing. Incredible beasts they may be but the transfer of electrons into magnetism will never replace that, for me.
If all you want is what the electric bike gave you then the world is turning into a wonderful place. Thankfully there will continue to be a classic market and enough dead dinosaur to see me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Can someone please put my name down for a ride on Ducati's first electric bike?
Be gone satan

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:25 PM   #29
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Kingfisher I rode it like I ride any small capacity bikes on and off I did use engine breaking but I also wanted to see absolute minimum distance.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #30
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
As a means of practical transport, commuting and delivery/courier riding absolutely see the benefits in one of these, but as a leisure/pleasure/hobby vehicle absolutely not, especially not to replace a Ducati.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote