UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Can otions for a M900

Old 08-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #1
the lodger

Bike: M900
Can otions for a M900

I am currently running original cans which have been gutted, together with individual exhaust pipes. Somewhat bizarrely the height of the cans where they exit at the rear is slightly different and cannot be equalised without a pipe hitting the rear spring. So I would be interested to hear your thoughts on my options for a better fitting replacement system . I would like stainless steel , not CF. Is an original siamese pipe better than individual pipes ?

My bike is mildly tuned ( Open airbox, stage 2 dynajet, HC pistons ) so some kind of performance can is in order. There is a Ducati Performance titanium system on ebay at the moment. Would that be any good ?. Thanks
Old 08-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #2
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I have 3 sets of CF cans 2 are termi and one is sils on my carbed bikes they sound awesome and 2 bikes have stage 1 dyno jets and K and N air box and other hax s stage 2 ,, now also have a set od stainless steel mivvs they look lovely and can be had for £327 on ebay they run perfectly on all 3 bikes but sound quieter as they have removable db killers which I left in ,, when i took them out they were louder than the Carbon fibre cans ,

have alook at the mivvs they are great
Old 08-03-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I did spot these earlier in the week when they were about £50 but still might be worth a punt:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leo-Vince...97.m4902.l9144

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #4
Nottsbiker

Mines all sat waiting for me to build it (been years lol but selling my MTS now to do it...) but I've got Silmotor big bore headers for mine which are SS and have the link pipes (spaghetti maybe?) which exit via 2/3 length open carbon cans. The first engine that will go in is stock but will have a Dynojet kit and MWR airbox lid so with the open clutch should make lots of lovely noise.

Personally I don't like single cans on twins and love the twin low level set up of the original
Old 09-03-2020, 03:30 PM   #5
Flip

As with all these things it depends on what route you want to take with your bike, either ‘period parts’ that were available when the 900 was a current model or a remade modern equivalent which will give a slightly different look.

The latter if done well can still look good but many simply do not suit the classic lines of the original shape Monster in my opinion.

But second hand parts for the early (either carb’d or first generation fuel injection) are either getting hard to find, commanding high prices or require restoring back to their former glory (or a combination of those three).

As well as carbon, stainless, alloy or titanium there is also high or low level to consider, again depending on your preference.

Here are a couple that may be worth a look though:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F233497385079

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F392717330692
Old 09-03-2020, 03:56 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

MADASL do nice spaghetti headers and at a reasonable price, that's probably what I'd go for with hi level mid pipes and some titanium or carbon cans.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
Nottsbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
MADASL do nice spaghetti headers and at a reasonable price, that's probably what I'd go for with hi level mid pipes and some titanium or carbon cans.
Before I went down the Silmotor route I looked into the MADASL route but they weren't in production but from what I see on their FB page they look good and appear well made.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #8
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottsbiker View Post
Before I went down the Silmotor route I looked into the MADASL route but they weren't in production but from what I see on their FB page they look good and appear well made.
I have two sets of MADASL headers, one very custom and one set for the Monster. They are really well made and look awesome.

Yorkie
Old 11-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #9
Nottsbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
I have two sets of MADASL headers, one very custom and one set for the Monster. They are really well made and look awesome.

Yorkie
I always thought it was your business!

I'll be tapping them up for some CNC work on one of my clutch casings as their quotes are very real world and the quality looks great
Old 11-03-2020, 02:29 PM   #10
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

No, but I think Yorkie is their best customer!

Old 12-03-2020, 11:15 PM   #11
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottsbiker View Post
I always thought it was your business!

I'll be tapping them up for some CNC work on one of my clutch casings as their quotes are very real world and the quality looks great
He has just become a good friend over the years. And I may have spent a little bit of cash, but it is worth it.

Yorkie
Old 16-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #12
Nottsbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
He has just become a good friend over the years. And I may have spent a little bit of cash, but it is worth it.

Yorkie
No worries - I follow them on FB and have seen the quality of their workmanship
Old 16-03-2020, 05:45 PM   #13
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lodger View Post
I am currently running original cans which have been gutted, together with individual exhaust pipes. Somewhat bizarrely the height of the cans where they exit at the rear is slightly different and cannot be equalised without a pipe hitting the rear spring. So I would be interested to hear your thoughts on my options for a better fitting replacement system . I would like stainless steel , not CF. Is an original siamese pipe better than individual pipes ?

My bike is mildly tuned ( Open airbox, stage 2 dynajet, HC pistons ) so some kind of performance can is in order. There is a Ducati Performance titanium system on ebay at the moment. Would that be any good ?. Thanks
Most things are possible, but you need to decide what look you are going for:

1. Single pipe, two pipes on one side, or two pipes (One on each side)?
2. Standard height, high level, midi like a 888, or underslung?
3. Stainless Steel, Ally, Carbon or Titanium?

Standard height is easiest, but can looks a bit standard when you want to make a change.
Underslung like the Quat-D or RoadRacing cans look clean, but are very expensive new, and very rare second hand. They can also drag on corners.

https://www.ventspleen.com/ducati-mo...x-box-exhaust/

http://www.philaphoto.com/imageLibra...bum=1224&pos=5

High level can look good too, provided you avoid the "wheel barrow" look of combining long high cans with a cut down frame and mudguard. You also need to check you've got clearance for the riser pipes by spacing the footpeg ally brackets off the frame, and they miss the rear indicators which are in different places for pre and post 2000 bikes (Or be prepared to move those too!).

Mid height like the 900 Superlight and 888 would require bespoke link pipes and brackets.

It's an opportunity to make your M900 into your Monster.

Last edited by Darkness; 16-03-2020 at 05:48 PM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:23 PM   #14
the lodger

The Duc somewhat forced my hand on this as it spat off the end cap on the RH silencer into the middle lane of the M6 where, I believe, it still is.

I have managed to source some Sil motor carbon fibre slip on cans which the vendor says are in good nick. These are a straight replacement for the standard cans. A quick question about fitment. Are they fitted with any kind of sealant or gasket ? There is no external clamp on my silencer to exhaust joins

Thanks

Nigel
Old 01-06-2020, 05:15 PM   #15
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lodger View Post
The Duc somewhat forced my hand on this as it spat off the end cap on the RH silencer into the middle lane of the M6 where, I believe, it still is.

I have managed to source some Sil motor carbon fibre slip on cans which the vendor says are in good nick. These are a straight replacement for the standard cans. A quick question about fitment. Are they fitted with any kind of sealant or gasket ? There is no external clamp on my silencer to exhaust joins

Thanks

Nigel
I would use a bead of Clear silicone sealant at the joint.