UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » 02 sensors ??? HELP !

Old 25-06-2020, 08:40 PM   #1
vince53

Bike: M1100s
02 sensors ??? HELP !

ok im sorry but it's about my other bike the Bonny 865i , it's just I know there a lot more intelligent's here …. so iv removed the 02 sensors on my bonny because iv been told they make them run lean also a common fault is they wont run smooth while trying to hold a constant speed with 02 sensors in , the thing is someone had already been there and cut out the 02 sensor plugs and wired them in ? maybe to get round intermittent connection ?? trouble is I had to take a educated guess at how to put on the 02 removal resistor plugs , the question is will it run to lean if not connected properly ? since iv done it it does run smoother and the reaching while trying to hold a constant speed has gone … is it ok if things were worse now can it run better smoother and still be lean ? HELP lol
vince53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 07:52 AM   #2
Joshua Brew

Bike: M1100evo
If your concerned that the bike may be running lean, just take it for decent ride for about 20 mins or so and check the colour/condition of the plugs. they should be a nice tanned brown colour if all is ok.
Joshua Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
vince53

Thanks Josh yah have had a look and there off white ,thing is I don't know if injected bikes are quite the same as carb so the old plug colour thing im not sure about , im told the efi Bonny's do run lean-ish ,it was all simpler with carbs in the old days lol * )
Old 26-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
lamda sensors are a pain and only purpose is to protect the catalytic convertor which is why they lean the mixture if it gets too rich. Problem with that is the bikes are already lean for emissions and making them leaner may protect the catalytic convertor but leads to the issues you describe, crap low and constant speed running!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 09:09 PM   #5
vince53

All sorted now found a guy to remap without the o2's running like a kitten now lol thanks for the feed back guys ..
Old 05-07-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince53 View Post
cut out the 02 sensor plugs and wired them in ?
Well, sounds like it's too late now vince, but might be worth mentioning for general knowledge that some types (notably Bosch) of lambda sensor need you not to solder the connector or seal the connectors up neatly with heat shrink - because rather than have a hole in the sensor itself that can get clogged with road cack, they leech tiny amounts of air down the stranded wire for their free air reference.

And soldering them, heat-shrinking them or filling the plugs with dialectic grease can stop this from happening.

Sometimes dismissed as a fairy tale by people who don't apparently read Bosch patents, technical notes or install documents - which all spell this out pretty clearly...

Mind, what the manufacturer does with the lambda signal once they've got it is an entirely different issue...
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote