UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Brake Pad Help

Old 20-06-2020, 12:54 PM   #1
Pezz

Bike: M1100s
Brake Pad Help

So last year had an advisory of possible warped discs and seeing as I've saved money on not going to Italy with Ducati Manchester, missed the weekender, Glastonbury and the summer holiday etc etc I thought I'd treat the bike to new rotors and pads. Rotors are on all great. Ive gone to do the pads and Ive been sent pads that dont look like they match. They are all in correctly labelled packets but as you can see below whilst being the same shape and size the grooves in the braking material isn't the same on the different coloured ones. The black look the same as the ones one the bike - they have little circles in the back. I am wondering if the blue ones are not actuallly what the packet says or if they are maybe a newer design or different pad type. The code on the back of the blue ones matches what is on the packets. Main questionis is it be safe to fit them and if so would you put one of each colour on each side eg blue outside black inside. Or do I need to send one back?

Help!!!

Pezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 01:03 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I can spot too many differences to accept that they could both be used in the same caliper!

Not only is the radius at the bottom of the friction material different but the compound looks completely different and that rings alarm bells for me anyway.
I would definitely be having this conversation with the seller for starters.

For what it's worth I'm not that keen on Brembo pads myself. I much prefer EBC organic pads, they are super powerful and kind on the discs. Importantly they are not grabby as some sintered pads can be.
Old 20-06-2020, 01:09 PM   #3
Pezz

Bike: M1100s
Thanks Gazza - back they go - I'm not messing with brakes
Pezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I might be being unnecessarily alarmist, it could be the latest thing in braking technology, but I very much doubt it. Besides which, if it was, there would be some very specific instructions from Brembo as to how to orientate the different pads.... I don't think so?
Old 20-06-2020, 02:13 PM   #5
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
Every time my EVO is Motd by ducati it gets a warped front disk advisory.Worth asking them why and by how much. It could be the measuring device is a bit sensitive.

Never with an independent.
Old 20-06-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
ChrisC2925

Bike: M600
I'd go with MR G on the EBC, Pezz, I had to have a new back set when I changed the tyres. They are also cheaper than Brembo
ChrisC2925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 02:38 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Worth noting that if you do go for organic pads rather than sintered, then it is recommended that you have organic front and rear and not to mix organic and sintered.
Old 20-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #8
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Personally I prefer SBS pads, great initial grip and very good feel.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 06:29 AM   #9
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The blue ones look like Brembo carbon-ceramic (organic) road pads, the black ones don’t look right to me although they could be oem rather than aftermarket flavour, regardless of what they are I’d want the matching pads in both calipers. No supplier should be sticking mis-matched components in the same order, complain loudly!
With regard to mixing sintered/organic, I’d avoid organic front with sintered rear but as Gaza says matching all round is probably the way to go. As a rule organic offer more feel, sintered more bite.

Last edited by slob; 21-06-2020 at 06:37 AM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 08:25 AM   #10
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo22 View Post
Every time my EVO is Motd by ducati it gets a warped front disk advisory.Worth asking them why and by how much. It could be the measuring device is a bit sensitive.

Never with an independent.
I didn't think that they actually measured the disk just felt how the brake was working and also see the rolling road brake effortometer dial waving a little. So it may just be the metal surfacing and how the heat of use has affected it.
The metal can change it's surface structure slightly and give a different braking effort/effect around the rotor, check the run out and see.
Else there's a little warp but not enough for it to be a problem.