UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Early M900/851 Key Sticker

Old 18-06-2020, 03:06 PM   #1
Ross090

Early M900/851 Key Sticker

Hi Again,

Another sticker related question...

Does anyone have a source for a sticker or blank key with the CRD on it? The one which is used with the early M900's and 851's with the elephant on the fuel cap.

Its a small detail I know, but it would be nice to match the look of the key to the cap when getting a spare.

Cheers
Old 18-06-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross090 View Post
Hi Again,

Another sticker related question...

Does anyone have a source for a sticker or blank key with the CRD on it? The one which is used with the early M900's and 851's with the elephant on the fuel cap.

Its a small detail I know, but it would be nice to match the look of the key to the cap when getting a spare.

Cheers
There’s one on t’other place: comes with a couple of locks though.

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/thread...-family.78950/
Old 18-06-2020, 05:23 PM   #3
Ross090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
There’s one on t’other place: comes with a couple of locks though.

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/thread...-family.78950/
Cheers Darkness, I'm hoping to just get a blank or a sticker instead of a full lock set. I'd rather not ruin a sticker from a perfectly good key.

Last edited by Ross090; 18-06-2020 at 05:53 PM..
Old 18-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Moto Rapido sell blank keys, in fact I am about to order one.

Just send them a photo of the key you want a blank of and they should be able to match it.
Old 18-06-2020, 05:54 PM   #5
Ross090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Moto Rapido sell blank keys, in fact I am about to order one.

Just send them a photo of the key you want a blank of and they should be able to match it.
Thank you. Do you know if this is the key with CRD on it, it has a gold sticker as shown in the link Darkness mentioned. The newer keys just have DUCATI on them in black and white.
Old 18-06-2020, 06:23 PM   #6
Darkness

Quote:
Thank you. Do you know if this is the key with CRD on it, it has a gold sticker as shown in the link Darkness mentioned. The newer keys just have DUCATI on them in black and white.
The last one I got from MotoRapido was an identical key, but without CRD and with Ducati in the newer font. On the left here.

Cagiva Elefant keys are similar, but say Cagiva on them.

Last edited by Darkness; 18-06-2020 at 08:57 PM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 07:46 PM   #7
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I had a look when I saw this post to see what my 748 one was like and it is like the far left one; no CRD logo but with the earlier font of the CRD ones. That's a '97 btw so there are plenty of variations out there. I'll get my anorak now then! :0

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 09:04 PM   #8
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

And you call me obsessed. Funny I never knew about these. I have a spare key not cut yet fro. M R.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 09:41 PM   #9
Ross090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
And you call me obsessed. Funny I never knew about these. I have a spare key not cut yet fro. M R.
It is turning into a bit of an obsession.
Would you consider selling Albie?
Old 18-06-2020, 10:01 PM   #10
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I think you do need to be a certain amount of obsessive when doing a resto, it should be as 'right' as you can get it to be within the limits of your budget and sanity and if period parts are available, go for it and get them before they dissappear forever. I mean there's a certain amount or preservation in a resto anyway so save what you can.

When I did my basketcase Mirage resto a few years back there were no locks at all with the bike and even the wheels had been lost over a period of time and due to house moves when sent for a refurb by the previous owner , the ignition barrel and seat lock were also long gone and so I had to source generic 'Suzuki GS' parts and so a certain amount of period correctness was lost and there was no way to get that back given the small number of bikes they actually made in those few years in the mid '70's and early 80's. Only a few thousand or so iirc so by comparison an early Monster resto is a much easier task as there are a lot more around.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 07:10 AM   #11
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
It is turning into a bit of an obsession.
Would you consider selling Albie?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181769913704
Not a blank though
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224014089457

Last edited by Albie; 19-06-2020 at 07:16 AM..
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 08:16 AM   #12
Ross090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I think you do need to be a certain amount of obsessive when doing a resto, it should be as 'right' as you can get it to be within the limits of your budget and sanity and if period parts are available, go for it and get them before they dissappear forever. I mean there's a certain amount or preservation in a resto anyway so save what you can.

When I did my basketcase Mirage resto a few years back there were no locks at all with the bike and even the wheels had been lost over a period of time and due to house moves when sent for a refurb by the previous owner , the ignition barrel and seat lock were also long gone and so I had to source generic 'Suzuki GS' parts and so a certain amount of period correctness was lost and there was no way to get that back given the small number of bikes they actually made in those few years in the mid '70's and early 80's. Only a few thousand or so iirc so by comparison an early Monster resto is a much easier task as there are a lot more around.
Agreed! I've had to change a few things on my bike, just because corrosion and 27 years of use takes it's toll. It's the small details that get lost along the way, so if I can preserve them now then in another 27 years they will hopefully still be around if it needs another restore then!
Old 19-06-2020, 08:17 AM   #13
Ross090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Cheers Albie, I have the blank in your first link. I'll see if isaydingdong can help out in making a new sticker for me.
Old 19-06-2020, 08:20 AM   #14
Ross090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
The last one I got from MotoRapido was an identical key, but without CRD and with Ducati in the newer font. On the left here.

Cagiva Elefant keys are similar, but say Cagiva on them.

Interesting! Definitely the middle ones I'm after.
Anyone know what CRD means? Cagiva Racing Division? Cagiva Research Development?
Old 19-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #15
the lodger

Everyday's a learning day ! I have one of those keys and was wondering what CRD meant so hopefully someone will enlighten us.