UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Ducati Diavel ???

Old 12-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
Question Ducati Diavel ???

No I'm not getting rid of the S4 ..... however for various reasons I've been looking at the various offerings and models in the Diavel range

Not looking to spend over 10k euros which puts me in 2011 - 2014 model years (depending upon kms) and at present the "Dark" edition is the most appealing visually

Does anyone on here have any experience of these beasties and/or recommendations/advice on what to avoid etc. ..... thanks in advance
Old 12-08-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
MrsC hubby Andy has one.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 08:59 AM   #3
AndyC_772

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Had one. I sold it last year and haven't actually had a bike since

Mine was a 2014 model with the new headlight, and I had it from new.

Straight out of the box the ride was very hard, but it was possible to sort this, more or less, by adjusting the factory suspension. If I had the time again, I'd probably fit an Ohlins rear shock.

Rear tyres last well and are surprisingly cheap and readily available given that they're a bespoke item. Fronts go 20p-shaped after 2500 miles and always seemed to need replacing.

I put about 11,000 miles on mine and had no major reliability issues. IIRC I had to replace the front brake rotors due to them being warped, so check the bike stops smoothly under light braking. Those, and a faulty fuel level sensor were about the only non-service items I had to buy.

I loved the engine and left it in Touring 90% of the time. Urban mode is good for heavy rain or poor surfaces, Sport mode is no more powerful than Touring but had a sharp power delivery which I didn't like.

Handling was fine, though not as fluid or neutral as the best. I found it responded well to a firm guiding hand on the bars; it's very much a bike that you actively ride, rather than it just following the direction you're looking. I'd call it 'involving' when I'm in the mood, although it could also be hard work especially when that front tyre needed changing.

I didn't sell it for any reason to do with the bike itself - just that I was fed up of being cold, wet and/or frustrated on the kinds of long tours we tended to do. The Diavel coped much better with bad weather than I did.

If you like the look of the bike and think you might want one, take one for a test ride and enjoy - you won't regret it.
AndyC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC_772 View Post
Had one. I sold it last year and haven't actually had a bike since

Mine was a 2014 model with the new headlight, and I had it from new.

Straight out of the box the ride was very hard, but it was possible to sort this, more or less, by adjusting the factory suspension. If I had the time again, I'd probably fit an Ohlins rear shock.

Rear tyres last well and are surprisingly cheap and readily available given that they're a bespoke item. Fronts go 20p-shaped after 2500 miles and always seemed to need replacing.

I put about 11,000 miles on mine and had no major reliability issues. IIRC I had to replace the front brake rotors due to them being warped, so check the bike stops smoothly under light braking. Those, and a faulty fuel level sensor were about the only non-service items I had to buy.

I loved the engine and left it in Touring 90% of the time. Urban mode is good for heavy rain or poor surfaces, Sport mode is no more powerful than Touring but had a sharp power delivery which I didn't like.

Handling was fine, though not as fluid or neutral as the best. I found it responded well to a firm guiding hand on the bars; it's very much a bike that you actively ride, rather than it just following the direction you're looking. I'd call it 'involving' when I'm in the mood, although it could also be hard work especially when that front tyre needed changing.

I didn't sell it for any reason to do with the bike itself - just that I was fed up of being cold, wet and/or frustrated on the kinds of long tours we tended to do. The Diavel coped much better with bad weather than I did.

If you like the look of the bike and think you might want one, take one for a test ride and enjoy - you won't regret it.
Thank you that's great info.

How did you find the riding position compared to an older Monster for example (Sports bikes kill my back but roadsters are fine) ?

Having looked at the price difference between the UK bikes and French ones and now that the ABS option allows "full power versions" I think I may end up importing one as I'll be able to get a much newer and lower mileage example in the UK compared to over here especially given the current exchange rates .... who's the best dealer in the South of the UK - Portsmouth up to Guildford/Farnboroughy/Windsor area ??
Old 13-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
AndyC_772

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Riding position is low and upright, no problem at all for long distances. I was much more comfortable on it than I ever was on the 695 or 696. It's heavy, but the weight is carried very low down - I found the Monster 1200 much harder to pick up off the side stand and wheel around even though it's technically a bit lighter.

I bought my bike from https://www.snellmotorcycles.com/ who were brilliant.

http://www.motorapido.co.uk/ also have an excellent reputation.
AndyC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 02:40 PM   #6
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC_772 View Post
Riding position is low and upright, no problem at all for long distances. I was much more comfortable on it than I ever was on the 695 or 696. It's heavy, but the weight is carried very low down - I found the Monster 1200 much harder to pick up off the side stand and wheel around even though it's technically a bit lighter.

I bought my bike from https://www.snellmotorcycles.com/ who were brilliant.

http://www.motorapido.co.uk/ also have an excellent reputation.
Brilliant - thank you
Old 31-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Talking

Reviving an old thread .....

I finally took the plunge and bought a Diavel .. spent a bit more than first planned but got a lot more bike for it ... 2014 Full black with over 6000€ of extras: Forged alloys, forged grips, chassis bungs, carbon rear hugger, full Termis including air filter and "Sport chip"; custom seat as well as 2 boxes of original bits and bobs.

What can I say ..... it's a real beast

Way more road presence than the S4, much more comfortable to ride and stupid quick (if you can hold on). I'm getting used to having a bike with a dash that does something .. bit of a shock going from a S4 with no fuel gauge to a Diavel which tells you your consumption and estimated distance left until reserve along with air temperature and a bunch of other stuff

I've added a QuadLock for the phone and must say it's worth every penny ... thoroughly recommend.

Anyroad .... some photos for you ....haven't got around to a photo with the S4 as yet as we're having some major building works done here (after nearly 20 years I'm getting my 85m² workshop ... happy days) and the other road bikes are buried in the barn somewhere.