UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » ££££Expensive afternoon...?????

Old 17-07-2020, 11:06 AM   #16
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
The sprocket is entirely your choice, but more room round it can be counter productive as far as the saver is concerned. The idea is to get the saver as close as possible, without touching, in order to keep the chain on the sprocket as it hurtles round. It's the space that kills the cases when the (broken) chain bunches up and stops, then the weight of however much chain follows behind at speed and... does the unthinkable!

I don't think space is a problem on the bigger bikes anyway, but I know it's a tight squeeze on the 750 and 600's.
Old 17-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #17
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
The sprocket is entirely your choice, but more room round it can be counter productive as far as the saver is concerned. The idea is to get the saver as close as possible, without touching, in order to keep the chain on the sprocket as it hurtles round. It's the space that kills the cases when the (broken) chain bunches up and stops, then the weight of however much chain follows behind at speed and... does the unthinkable!

I don't think space is a problem on the bigger bikes anyway, but I know it's a tight squeeze on the 750 and 600's.
Agreed, if the saver fits around a 15t sprocket (fairly sure it will?) then that is the best way IMO. Especially as a 15t sprocket will reduce the chance of a chain break in the first place by putting less strain/torque on the chain compared to a 14t and you can alter the gearing by going larger on the rear if required.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 01:22 PM   #18
crawsue
Bronze Member

Bike: M1100evo
I was running 15 teeth, liked the overdrive feeling of under 4k revs at 70 mph.....and that is what I've ordered as replacement....I have a 14 in stock, but prefer trying 15 again.
As Mr G says,it was the chain overtaking itself in the space between Sprocket and cases which did what damage it sustained.
Unfortunately the bottom sprocket crankcase fixing sustained some damage, so I'm hoping there is enough "meat" on it to hold protector flange and cover....
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 08:57 PM   #19
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Phew! looks like you dodged a bullet there. Glad you weren't hurt either.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:39 PM   #20
crawsue
Bronze Member

Well, after 3 weeks the "upper chain sliding shoe " arrived today....but....the shoe part and fixings are the same, but the rear part ha sticks out of the swingarm...the chain guard part is about 3" longer than what was fitted before...was there a change or has my original been altered? New guard looks a bit clumsy in comparison....
Old 04-08-2020, 08:23 PM   #21
Luddite

I think you're right, Crawford. The original part no. for the chainguard was 44610191A but a check on the Stein Dinse site shows that part as no longer available and replaced by 44610192A. The picture from Stein Dinse certainly appears to show a longer tailpiece for the new one (top = old, bottom = new).

If you can't live with the look, there are still old versions out there, both new and second hand.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...cati+44610191A

Or, you could cut the tailpiece off and replace it with a carbon version http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...t=57863&page=7 (it's meant to be stuck over the original but I don't see why it can't be mounted on its own.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:20 PM   #22
crawsue
Bronze Member

Cheers, Vince, I'll see how it looks when fitted... probably end up hacking a bit off...I can copy what's left of the old one��
Old 04-08-2020, 09:32 PM   #23
Luddite

Or, if the tailpiece of the original is undamaged, maybe cut that off and replace the new one with it - I'm sure a single mounting bolt would be sufficient for a lightweight plastic part like that.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #24
crawsue
Bronze Member

5 minutes with a hacksaw and some fairly fine Emery paper and it's a fair replacement, new chain and sprockets fitted , just need to tap out the bottom crankcase sprocket mounting hole to fit my protector....should be on the road for the weekend.
Many thanks to all for knowledge and encouragement....BTW.... bruising on my arse now barely noticeable....I should be able to sit down soon!!!
Old 06-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #25
crawsue
Bronze Member

I'm afraid my optimism was unfounded, after reassembly I popped down to my local man to jack up sprocket nut....only to find a small oil leak above and behind the sprocket. It looks very close to the joint between side (generator) cover and crankcase. So some dismantling to be done for a look-see.
Anyone had the cover off? Any tips/ things to avoid?
If the cover is compromised any idea what a replacement will cost?.???BUGGER....
Old 06-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #26
Darkness

Getting the alternator cover off is much easier with a puller, either a bought one or a home made.

When removing the cover bolts don’t forget about the “hidden” one. It’s next to the sprocket and likes to hide in chain goo.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #27
Darkness

Here’s one Luddite prepared earlier:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...r+cover+puller

It may be worth changing the O rings, seal and gear return spring he mentions too, whilst you are in there?

Last edited by Darkness; 06-08-2020 at 11:46 AM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #28
Luddite

You beat me to it, Darkness!

That's frustrating, Crawford. If you don't want to buy or make one, I can send you my puller with spacers and longer screws. PM me if you'd like it.

As for the cover, if the damage isn't too bad, would JB Weld or Chemical Metal seal the leak I wonder?

Whether you repair or renew the cover, don't forget to get some Threebond 1215 and apply it thus:

Old 06-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #29
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsue View Post
I'm afraid my optimism was unfounded, after reassembly I popped down to my local man to jack up sprocket nut....only to find a small oil leak above and behind the sprocket. It looks very close to the joint between side (generator) cover and crankcase. So some dismantling to be done for a look-see.
Anyone had the cover off? Any tips/ things to avoid?
If the cover is compromised any idea what a replacement will cost?.???BUGGER....
Stein Dinse are listing them for 450 euros.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #30
Darkness

They are available used too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Mo...sAAOSwO1de7n8Z

I think they are all the same on m600, m750, m900 and the SS, so long as they have (Or don’t have) the two ports for the oil lines from the barrels.