UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Healtech Gear Position Indicator

Old 05-07-2020, 04:46 PM   #1
Goldstar

Bike: M797+
Healtech Gear Position Indicator

Have any of you good folk heard reviews of, or had any experience of these being fitted to Dukes ? I have a 797...

https://www.healtech-electronics.com...cts/gipro/gpdt

Useful or are they a cheap (well not that cheap actually) electronic toy you don’t really need ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Goldstar; 05-07-2020 at 05:52 PM..
Goldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
You can expect a lively debate when GPIs get mentioned...

Most people would say you don't really need one on a 2V Monster as you get used to riding the wide spread of torque rather than chopping up and down the gearbox all the time.

Do you regularly find yourself trying to change up when you're pootling along in 6th gear?
or would noting the revs when you do a few times cure you of the habit?

It could be argued that it ought to be included, given the complexity of the dash/electronics, personally I've only found a GPI useful on track whilst chasing every last bit of performance.

Another healtech product recently got the thumbs up on here http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=58505
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:00 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Tim88 has one fitted to his 1100 Evo. You could ask for his thoughts.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...1&postcount=17
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:10 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

As Slob says it would be useful only if you find yourself in top gear and try to find the next gear. You tend to ride the 2V and to some extent the 4V too on the torque curve and by feel so you don't really need to know what gear you're in, if you hit the rev limiter in each gear you will most likely be slower as the engine power will cut out briefly.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:15 PM   #5
fastnfat

I have one fitted on a 1100 evo. Do I really need it? probably not. Do I want it? Yes I do much-like most of the other stuff I’ve bought for bikes over the years����. Not much help I know, sorry.
fastnfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #6
Goldstar

Bike: M797+
Many thanks for all your input to my quandary

Yes, I am always looking for 7th gear, especially as have fitted a smaller front cog

In the other gears I ride to match engine/road speed accordingly....so I think it's 100 quid I don't need to spend..
Goldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
Uncle Bob

I had one on the 696. It was unreliable around 2nd gear. When downshifting i.e. coming into a roundabout down through the gears it wouldn't show 2nd unless you actually fully took up drive in 2nd to move you forward (which obviously you don't do in that scenario) even if you fully engaged the clutch. A number of times it caught my eye and I thought I was still in 3rd so downshifted shifted again (into 1st!).

I don't have one on the evo and I don't really miss it. Could have just been mine of course, but that's my experience of one.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #8
seanodwyer

I've recently fitted one to my M821 and I do like having it there to satisfy my OCD. It does require drive and a second to work out what the gear is. This can be a pain coming to stops if you just clutch in and drop through the gears, as it won't be able to work out what gear you end up in until there is drive. Overall though I am happy to have it.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:30 PM   #9
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I used to hanker after a gear position indicator for my 750 ... and I got ribbed about it a few times when I mentioned it on the forum.
Like yourself though, I only really felt the need for a top gear indicator, to confirm that there weren't any left in the box and stop me searching for an extra gear (in my case, a sixth gear).
I can't see the point of an indicator for the lower gears ... its just a case of changing up or down as conditions dictate.
My bike has no revcounter and for the most part it doesn't need one but that does further complicate the issue when trying to decide whether there is another gear left in the box .. which there almost always isn't.
And as you say, dropping a tooth on the gearbox sprocket (which I did in order to create space for a crankcase saver, despite preferring my bike slightly overgeared) exaggerates the problem of the elusive extra gear.
In the end though, I stopped worrying about it .... and developed my skills at comparing road speed versus engine sound. This is much easier with a louder can though, as you can hardly hear the exhaust note at speed with the standard cans.
Its a fair excuse to be noisy, I guess. ......
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:46 PM   #10
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
This reminds me of my first season of racing at a very wet Brands Hatch. I was on a Bonneville Triton with a 4 speed RRT2 Gold Star gearbox which was a close ratio box (less than 1000rpm between 2 and third and about 500 revs difference between 3rd and top). I was dicing with this bloke on an 8 valve Metisse and he kept coming steaming past me along the top straight.
About the 7th lap, of ten, he steams by and moves directly in front of me causing me to sit up. I forgot to change into top as we crossed the start finish line but a little bit of red mist got to me as I was determined to get past him on the way out of Paddock Hill Bend.
As usual I changed down twice (into first). When I dropped the clutch for the second time, all hell broke loose, the rev counter went about 2000 RPM over what it should do and the back end was snaking all over the place. I did manage to stay on and get past him at Druids and as the rain came down more heavily I pulled away from him as he was wheelspinning everywhere and my Triumph just did not have that much power.
Next lap at Paddock there was that tell-tale rainbow on the road (oil) and at every corner for the next lap, right on my line, all round the circuit.
I finished somewhere midfield and the bike, when I got back to the pits, was red hot and the oil catch tank was overflowing, changing down too many gears had broken the oil rings. Unfortunately I think a couple of people fell off on my oil and a few more in later races.
A gear position indicator was not even thought of then and I almost certainly would not have had time to look at it anyway.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #11
Scrappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanodwyer View Post
I've recently fitted one to my M821 and I do like having it there to satisfy my OCD. It does require drive and a second to work out what the gear is. This can be a pain coming to stops if you just clutch in and drop through the gears, as it won't be able to work out what gear you end up in until there is drive. Overall though I am happy to have it.
I fitted one straight away to my M821, possibly mainly for OCD, but I do find it useful. So far it has been fautless, yes there is a very slight lag ( < 1 second) and just displays a dash ( - ) if the clutch is not engaged.

I got the additional handle bar mount, but only used the device housing from the mount and a 50mm bracket (with a slight bend) to mount the device using one of the nose fairing bolts.

I've taken up the cable slack since this picture
Old 10-03-2021, 11:31 AM   #12
Tim88

I have had my Gipro GBDT-D01 ftom BDS Racing for two years and it has been faultless. I chose the blue display because it is clearly visible in daylight, dims at night, and tones in with the instrument backlight. I think red should be reserved for warning signals etc. The good thing about the Healtech is the quality of the software which allows it to learn the gear/speed /rev relationship very quickly. The instructions also come well written in English(!). No, you don't 'need' one but it is very nice to have particularly in very noisy road conditions when you can't hear the revs clearly or when the speedo is unreadable because of bright light. You will soon find other conditions when it is useful. There is no need to alter the wiring in any way, a good quality connector with pass through is provided and the unit goes into a very low power mode when the ignition is off. A big thumbs up I'd say.
Tim88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 01:11 PM   #13
Martin C
Bronze Member

Many years ago, my 1976 Suzuki GT550 2-stroke triple had a dash gear indicator fitted as standard, that was on a bike with just 5 gears!
Old 25-03-2021, 05:50 PM   #14
manwithredbike
aka Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin C View Post
Many years ago, my 1976 Suzuki GT550 2-stroke triple had a dash gear indicator fitted as standard, that was on a bike with just 5 gears!
Haha, i remember that, red 7 segement LED display. My brother rode one. A very fast bike at the time, ram air engine as i remember.
My Triumph Tiger 800 has gear indicator as standard on the dash display, i have to say, i do like it.
Old 25-03-2021, 06:12 PM   #15
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

i used to have a pushbike with a gear indicator back in the day, you twisted the grip to change to 1, 2 or 3. It was great! Sometimes it was right too

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote