UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Gear Indicator - M695 How to

Old 19-06-2020, 12:55 PM   #1
Kentgent

Gear Indicator - M695 How to

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a gear indicator for my M695.

After some research I went for the type that plugs into the diagnostic port and gets its readings from the ECU in order to avoid the malarkey of magnets/sensors etc etc.

It arrived and i was impressed by the quality of the unit - other than ot was to be fitted with 3M type sticky pads which I didn't like - so I went out and sourced a fitting kit so it fits onto the handlebars, much like a switch would (pictured).

However, i noticed, before I fit it, that the wiring loom also contains an additional red wire (other than the diagnostic port plug) and with the instructions being in Chinglish and no drawings, and no communication from the seller/manufacturer, was wondering if anyone here has fitted such a unit and whether the red wire is for a live feed or a switched live or redundant.....

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards
Will

Last edited by Kentgent; 19-06-2020 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: photos
Old 19-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentgent View Post
However, i noticed, before I fit it, that the wiring loom also contains an additional red wire (other than the diagnostic port plug) and with the instructions being in Chinglish and no drawings, and no communication from the seller/manufacturer, was wondering if anyone here has fitted such a unit and whether the red wire is for a live feed or a switched live or redundant.....
I think the early HealTech units used a separate red wire spliced into the rear light feed as a switched live so you could well be right in your guess.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
Kentgent

Have had another reply via Facebook group - Turns out this one is for the 696.......as has a 4 pin plug and won't work with my Magneti Marelli ECU on the 695.......
Despite them CLEARLY marketing it as suitable for the 695

I've had a look at the bike, and sure enough it has a 3 pin plug on the ECU with only 2 wires in there......

Can't return it as bought last summer and not fitted......
Old 19-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #4
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
That's frustrating. You could try selling it on through the For Sale section.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote