UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Fork query

Old 21-02-2024, 05:03 PM   #1
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Fork query

Hi all, so the story is that years ago I fitted a pair of used adjustable Showa forks that I was informed were 900ie from around 2001. The stantions have always been visibly warn, and the seals have started to leak again. So I bought a pair of new non-adjustable Showa for 900ie/1000, with the intension of swapping the springs and dampers for my Maxton units. The new forks have just been delivered, big surprise because the forks are noticeably different to my current forks. The main difference is that the new fork legs are 450mm long compared to 485mm, with more stantion exposed. Any thoughts?
Old 21-02-2024, 06:15 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Those are the correct measurements 450 for standard Monster forks and 485 for adjustable.

Nasher put some 1098 innards into some adjustable fork tubes for me and they slot straight into the Monster yokes with no mods, Well!

The 1098 stanchions have a radial brake mount, so if you go for that particular set up you'll need a pair of radial mount calipers, new hoses, discs with 15mm offset or 4.5mm spacers to correct the offset and a longer speedo cable. The speedo gearbox is the real fly in the ointment as it just gets in the way of everything!
15mm offset discs are the best way to go, but how much do you want to change and how much do you want to spend?

Best to ask Nasher if internals with an axial type brake set up can be transplanted into the adjustable tubes. Definitely more options with the 485 tubes.
I wouldn't be surprised if the non adjustable stanchions could be fitted in the adjustable tubes along with the adjustable damping and spring.
Nasher's your man.

P.S. What hole centres are your callipers? 40 or 65mm? Good brake upgrade is to fit P4 4 pad callipers which go straight on, but do need new hoses!

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 21-02-2024 at 06:18 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 09:09 PM   #3
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Thanks for the info Gary, looks like I've made a bit of a blunder, making things a bit more complicated. I'll contact Nasher for some advice.
I had considered radial calipers, but I'm satisfied with the P4 calipers I've fitted.

NASHER IF YOU ARE OUT THERE YOUR MESSAGES ARE CURRENTLY AT CAPACITY.

Last edited by Bitza; 22-02-2024 at 09:34 PM..
Bitza is offline   Reply With Quote