UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » A close call.

Old 19-03-2017, 10:43 PM   #1
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
A close call.

I usually keep a regular check on my charging circuit connections.
Last Winter was so mild that I didn't ever really get round to a proper Winter overhaul. I just kept using the bike.
This afternoon I decided that it was high time I fitted the Gold connectors that I had promised for a long time.
This is what I found.

I think I broke what was left of the terminal when I was tugging at the harness to find the connector. But even so it wasn't hanging on by much.
A classic case of the ol' high resistance joint!!

A little bit of corrosion inside the connection is all it takes.. Possibly a result of a 90 mile ride in torrential rain late last year? Or just nature taking it's course.
Either way I'm glad I checked and I'm regretting missing the check last year.

Well it's all fixed now with soldered on Gold connectors and pending a reg/rec test. The battery seems all good.

Just to say, don't take these connections for granted... Give them an annual check or they will kill your Reg/Rec and then your battery.
Old 20-03-2017, 02:52 AM   #2
Fuzzy

Where did you get the gold connectors??? I'd be interested in getting a full set for my 821.. spend so much time in the wet n crappy roads (worst half of winter and again now as a commuter) have ordered a ton of titanium bits to replace the corroded nuts n bolts, when I can find someone to flash and map the ECU it'll get its titanium pipes too before being put away on a wet day haha
Old 20-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
Cobra88

Just in time Gazza
Old 20-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I get my Gold connectors from the local model shop. They come in a few different designs and sizes. Don't use any smaller than 4mm.
Usually sold in male/female pairs with heatshrink included.

Gold is a noble metal, so won't corrode, and makes an extremely good electrical connection, but the next weak link is the part of the cable next to the solder at the back of the connector. Flux residue seems to help rot the conductor at this point, so it's important to try and remove or avoid flux here, and then make the best effort to protect it from water.
Utopia knows of some heatshrink with hot melt glue inside it which sounds good?

Kato also found some good quality waterproof connectors from Triumph, which you can fit as a kit... I'll try and find the link.

By the way a ton of Titanium is a helluva lot of metal. I think you will slow your bike down if you fit that much...

Edit... Found the link.. Some very interesting reading here if you are thinking how you can improve your electrics. Good ol' Kato. http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=46708

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 20-03-2017 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: link added
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #5
emzedder

Bike: Other Ducati
My 900SS caught fire on way home from work a few years back. The starter solenoid jumped its mounting and the terminal grounded on the cylinder causing the overheating wire to ignite. I only noticed because the motor cut out at around 40mph. Stupidly I only thought of saving the bike so hinged up the tank and patted out the fire with my gloves ... never considered the exploding tank scenario at the time!

Battery terminal was molten, got her home and fitted a new battery and lead and all been fine for the past 5 years-odd ... tough old girl.
emzedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I've seen this problem so many times with different Ducatis over the years, it gets tiresome. Something isn't right with the plug, its inadequate to deal with the current, we know the wires are just about capable. Where is the Reg/rec located on the 900Sie Gazza? If its under the seat the same as the S4 then it will get too hot and may cause this issue because of heat build up in the unit which in turn I think would heat the wires.

Ducatis answer over the years at least with the 748 and 916 was to change the plug to that type you have that failed was tp add beefier wiring and a larger heat sink to the reg/rec and a vent in the fairing lower to direct air onto the reg/rec unit. All have made improvements but not solved the issue completely. So I'm wondering if the problem is caused by a combination of poor connector which adds resistance and heat to the plug AND heat build up in the reg/rec and wires due to poor ventilation.

I'm going to be checking and cleaning mine in the next week or so but I have already relocated my reg/rec flipping in over and into more air flow, where it is noticeably cooler. I have lost count of the number of such failures from my 748 where the reg/rec is bolted to the front cylinder head, and just down wind from the front exhaust where it is always going to be too hot.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Blimey emzedder that so on topic... A Close Call. Were your gloves alright?..

Yes Darren it is so boringly repetitive how many times this issue comes up.
The Sie R/R is on the front of the frame, nicely in the airflow. But I think that the problem is started off by a high resistance connection.

I remember fitting an upgrade three phase alternator to some bike or other years ago. The instructions stressed the importance of low resistance connections to the rectifier, and described ways of achieving this. I didn't fully understand the electrical terminology at the time, so I looked it all up.
You need low resistance to make it easy for the current to flow. When it meets resistance it makes heat and causes failures like that pictured above.
Low resistance means a large cross section of conductor throughout the circuit.
High resistance is caused by dirty loose or corroded connections, or connectors that are too thin and have little contact area.. In other words anything that reduces the cross section of the conductor.

Yes indeed all very boring, but I posted this up just to remind folk that even if you know the story and keep an eye on your connections.. Turn your back for a second and it bites your arse.!!
Old 20-03-2017, 08:05 PM   #8
emzedder

Bike: Other Ducati
I generally wear German Luftwaffe gloves so have a good provenance!
emzedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #9
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Das ist gut.
Old 20-03-2017, 08:21 PM   #10
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Something like MT60 connectors would be good and would give a good overhead for this. They're rated for more than more than enough current, you don't get a neat block connection but nice sealed connections.
Old 20-03-2017, 09:11 PM   #11
Fuzzy

Wonder if I could get the dealership to swap the connectors over... half way home this morning my dash lit up like a Christmas tree with TPS error, ABS error, yellow flash on the dash, faults cleared, then came back... did it for about 4 miles before it sorted its self out... put it down water ingress with heavy rain and driving wind... (Cumbria what can you say... sooner I can get a car the better)
Old 20-03-2017, 10:11 PM   #12
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
My old style single phase Monster has 2 large bullet connectors on the cable from the alternator, the RR was supplied with a cable that adapted them to a square white plug but I did away with it and just use the bullets direct.

I mounted the RR onto a large aluminium plate, directly in the airflow that acts as both heat sink and air deflector to keep the crap off the vertical carb filter.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 10:21 PM   #13
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
My alternator to reg/rec connector did the same thing a few years ago ... except it was even more melted.
It was actually on one of the hottest days we've had in recent years, but I had only gone literally a mile down the road, to my local nuts and bolts emporium.
I smelled burning on arrival and I remember asking the shopkeeper if he'd been having a bonfire.
Bike wouldn't start when I left, though bizarrely it bump started easily enough and I went straight back home to investigate further.
The same bonfire smell greeted me when I got home so I knew then that it was me.

Reg/rec alternator and battery were all fine, you'll be relieved to hear, Gazza.
I have since re-routed the cables so that the offending connection is exposed and easily inspectable just below the tank, left hand side.
The connections are also now hardwired.
I used homemade crimps fashioned from thin copper sheet which I formed into a tubular shape around a fat sewing needle .. two wraps.
After crimping I covered each one with glue-lined shrinkwrap (Kay's fasteners - ebay).
The glue not only seals the joint against moisture but also provides additional mechanical strength.
I don't like soldered joints because, as Gazza points out, they create an adjacent weak point, either due to flux residue or simply the sudden change from flexible to dead rigid.
But meths will clean off rosin flux, if you must solder.

Gazza .. I'll make you some crimps and bring them, along with some glue lined shrinkwrap, to Grumpy's forthcoming meet, if you like.
Which reminds me, I promised Jerry some ages ago .. I'll make both sets while I'm at it (I still have your address I think, Jerry).

One alternative to crimps is Delphi Metri-Pack 630 series multi-connectors from Kojaycat .. rated at 46 amps.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #14
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
OK good on you
Old 21-03-2017, 06:46 PM   #15
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thank you Jeff, you are a gentleman... Looking forward to Saturday.
Weather looks like it will be acceptable.. Just hope I can get the bike back together.