UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Centre stand...again!

Old 11-03-2017, 12:37 PM   #16
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by norvin998 View Post
(centre stand) Usefulness depends on bike usage. Adjusting the chain on a touring trip v quick whizz over to Cadwell. Each to his own.
I have it on good authority that the "proper" way to do a quick whizz to Cadwell is without even a sidestand .. then lean it against a tree when you get there.

utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #17
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post

On all my previous bikes it has been the case that removing the front wheel shifts the balance to the rear so no block is needed.

I am hoping that as soon as soon as the axle is clear, the forks will gently rise away and the bike settle on the rear wheel.
Probably the case on most bikes but my Guzzi Lemans doesn't sit on the rear wheel with the front wheel removed (despite how heavy the front wheel is). You have to sit on the far rear of the seat to even start it tilting but I guess this is because it's such a heavy, long (engine/frame) bike with a short swingarm?

Fortunately my headstock stand fits it fine, lifting the front just enough to get the rear wheel just touching the ground so it's not off balance and prone to falling over.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:39 PM   #18
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
I have it on good authority that the "proper" way to do a quick whizz to Cadwell is without even a sidestand .. then lean it against a tree when you get there.

B-)
which explains one of the dents on my 620 tank
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 06:40 PM   #19
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I received the stand and brackets from Luxexterior during the week. The stand is brand new, never used, as evidenced by the pristine feet and paint.
The brackets do look different from the previous ST2 ones that I had.
I had a dry fit today to see what's what and the brackets fit nicely without touching the exhaust. So maybe they are from a Monster kit like Norvin's?

With the lower mudguard extension removed, the stand goes on and will pivot though all but the last few mm from the stops.
It does just contact the brake rod. I found that things are helped a little by swapping the front rose joint from the outside to the inside, but I'm still going to need to bend that leg out... Plenty of clearance from the low level silencer on that side.
On the nearside it's the foot pad of the assistor lever that fouls the silencer sleeve. It's just a bit too narrow. Rather than bend it outwards, I think I will try and rotate it forwards to tuck in front of the silencer body and then there will be no chance of any scraping as it will fit inside the current silhouette.

My bike looks awfully bare with the 'guard extender off, and it does a very good job of keeping lube off the tyre by the looks, catches a lot of mud too.
I think I will try and get another one to cut down above the stand. It might keep the stand a bit cleaner too.

Thanks to Norvin for the inspiration and Luxeterior for the smashing stand and brackets...
Old 18-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #20
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
What is the lower mudguard extension? I don't have one... Have you a pick before and after?
Old 18-03-2017, 11:05 PM   #21
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I think the lower mudguard is unique to the "S" model. I don't even know if all the swinging arms have the rivnuts in the underside to mount one?

Sorry there are no before and afters yet as it's all put back to before.
I will be checking out availability of the "under" 'guards on Monday.
Old 19-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #22
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Thanks for that Mr Gazza.
I suppose given the age of these bikes that many peripheral parts could have also been changed out by previous owners. My swing arm looks different to some 900's I've seen in pics, also the rear disk caliper is above the s/arm not below. My rear axel nut etc is way different size than yours. Plus after reading a fair bit on the tinterweb I get the impression (perhaps wrongly?) that Ducati varied the spec of their bikes on occasion.

Its all good, just interesting to compare the differences.
Old 19-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #23
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

It seems to be quite a little known part for Monsters. I did quite an extensive search for at least a picture of one and could only find this on a US monster forum where they were discussing the relative merits of fitting one.
They dismissed it as superfluous, probably having no experience of them anyway.
I am sure that it is useful in keeping the bike much cleaner in the hind quarters.
It appears to keep a lot of chain goo off the tyre judging by how much mine has caught in the upper nearside area (the part I hope to retain if I cut one down).
Also going by the asteroid like pock marks on the lower edge, it is keeping a lot of airborne debris from the front tyre, off the rear. So It might well have saved me from a puncture or two?

I would be very interested to hear is anyone else can find the three rivnuts in the underside of the ally arm. Or maybe they were only put in the "S" ones?

I will try and get a photo later as the exhaust is off, so I should get a good view.
Old 19-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #24
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

There are definitely not any rivnuts on the underside of my ally s/arm. I alsi don't have that hoop either. Mine definitely can't be a S model!
Old 19-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #25
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

The Sie was made only from '00-'01 and therefore would I think have only had the rear hoop suspension. From '02 the 900ie had the later S4 type frame without the hoop. There was no 900Sie model for '02 or afterwards AFAK

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #26
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

There was a suspension revision about the end of 2001 across the whole Monster range.
The hoop went in favour of a straight connecting rod further forward.
There were still S models with the new suspension and some current models are still offered in S spec. What an S comes with has changed a lot over the years.
You should be able to tell from the log book if it is or not. It will be described as M900Sie.

Managed a quick pic of my under arm area before the exhaust went back on.
You can see where the rivnuts are from the screw heads.. There is a third halfway down the offside arm.

Old 19-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #27
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
The Sie was made only from '00-'01 and therefore would I think have only had the rear hoop suspension. From '02 the 900ie had the later S4 type frame without the hoop. There was no 900Sie model for '02 or afterwards AFAK
No probably not M900Sie in that frame but there was the M1000Sie.
Old 19-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #28
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Of course, that's why I said no 900Sie, after '01 as it was replaced in '02 by the upgraded standard 900ie with eth S4 frame and again in '03 by the 800/1000S. AFAIK there wasn't an 900S model in '02 ,the S4 had already become the top S model from '01.

Of more interest is why they 900Sie had the lower hugger fitted in the first place and no others did. I'm beginning to think it may be due to the floating caliper and to provide some means to protect it from road dirt. The later S bikes all had the rear caliiper on top of the swingarm, just a thought.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #29
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Luke at Moto Rapido has very kindly done some quite deep digging over the last couple of days.
The "Hugger extensions" are still available new for £26.11 inc vat

I also wondered if it was to afford the floating calliper some protection, but ironically it is cut away to clear the torque rod and so exposes the pivots to the muck!
I have certainly experienced a lot of wear in the rose joints and calliper pivot... And the pads too come to that.
Definitely not a fit and forget item!

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 21-03-2017 at 09:50 PM..
Mr Gazza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #30
kempy

my 800 sie has a centre stand