UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Next project conundrum, M1000SSie DS or S4.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
Nasher

Bike: M900
Next project conundrum, M1000SSie DS or S4.

I’m contemplating my next project, but am in no rush due to other things on the go.

I am still looking for an illusive bashed or crashed 999, but am also hooked on the idea of putting hoop suspension in a later Monster, and possibly adding some other retro M bits to it as well, like an early tea tray.

Having just completed my 1000SSie DS Project I’m hooked on that lovely motor, but for my plans a Monster to convert must be a conventional swingarm model, not a single sider, so there aren’t many around. I think they are just designated an S2????
There is just one on Ebay at the moment, and I’m tempted by it, but it’s @£1K more than I want to pay.

There do however appear to be more S4 916 Monsters about, but I can’t get my head around having all that ugly pipework down the left hand side of the engine. Interestingly the radiator doesn’t look too intrusive, being quite small and up high.

So to those who’ve had both, if I love the 1000CC ie DS motor, would I like the 916 S4 watercooled motor despite it’s ugliness?

The other thing to consider is that I may, I repeat may, have to sell my beloved M900 Carbie to make space for this project. In my mind a M1000ie DS does appear to be the ultimate classic looking Monster, and would replace the M900 nicely, especially if I swapped some of the special bits over from the old to new bike.
But I’m just not sure the S4 916 would do the same for my soul.

It’s not like I can go test riding bikes at the moment either.

Nasher.