UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hello there. M900 Refurb

Old 30-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #16
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
now’s a good time to check the swingarm bearings...
another pita job to do while the engine’s seperated from the frame
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #17
Darkness

Bike: M900
Well done.

I see you’ve still got the original oil level plate/sticker. Look after that as no longer available, the new ones are noticeably different.
Old 30-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #18
KevTheTeaBoy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
now’s a good time to check the swingarm bearings...
another pita job to do while the engine’s seperated from the frame
Good call that. Ill get them ordered up. May as well do them regardless.
Old 31-08-2020, 02:09 AM   #19
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevTheTeaBoy View Post
I think I'll have a crack at drilling the broken one out. Just very carefully.
I dunno how much experience you have of such work but its a bitch of a job with pitfalls waiting to ensnare you at every turn.
Most important is probably to get the drilling absolutely dead central, which is far more difficult than it sounds because the threads of the old bit of stud deceive your eye.
Also to drill perfectly perpendicular.
The initial centrepunch dot is extremely important to get as near to perfectly central as possible.
Then following that up with either a centre-drill (preferably) or a small plain drill is essential before getting out the bigger drills.
When you do employ a bigger drill it might be worth considering buying a suitably sized lefthand drill as this will tend to unscrew the broken stud as it cuts.
Before doing any of this, I would give the stud a good few sharp blows with a hammer and punch in an attempt to jar loose any corrosion or binding in the threads .. followed by a good soak in decent penetrating oil.
Also worth considering is a lefthand tap and matching bolt to use as an extraction device.
And also the application of heat.

Obviously enough, a drill will tend to favour wandering off and cutting into the softer ally of the case rather than the hard steel of the stud.
If the stud is stainless (or even if its not) a slow drilling speed, plenty of axial pressure and copious cutting oil will produce the best drilling performance.

Sorry if any of that is granny egg-sucking info but better to mention than not, I reckon.

And welcome along.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #20
KevTheTeaBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
I dunno how much experience you have of such work but its a bitch of a job with pitfalls waiting to ensnare you at every turn.
Most important is probably to get the drilling absolutely dead central, which is far more difficult than it sounds because the threads of the old bit of stud deceive your eye.
Also to drill perfectly perpendicular.
The initial centrepunch dot is extremely important to get as near to perfectly central as possible.
Then following that up with either a centre-drill (preferably) or a small plain drill is essential before getting out the bigger drills.
When you do employ a bigger drill it might be worth considering buying a suitably sized lefthand drill as this will tend to unscrew the broken stud as it cuts.
Before doing any of this, I would give the stud a good few sharp blows with a hammer and punch in an attempt to jar loose any corrosion or binding in the threads .. followed by a good soak in decent penetrating oil.
Also worth considering is a lefthand tap and matching bolt to use as an extraction device.
And also the application of heat.

Obviously enough, a drill will tend to favour wandering off and cutting into the softer ally of the case rather than the hard steel of the stud.
If the stud is stainless (or even if its not) a slow drilling speed, plenty of axial pressure and copious cutting oil will produce the best drilling performance.

Sorry if any of that is granny egg-sucking info but better to mention than not, I reckon.

And welcome along.
Thanks for the comments Utopia. Unfortunately I do have a fair bit of experience with attempting to drill out broken studs. My preference would be to machine it out but I don't have ready access these days. I'm planning to knock up a jig to try and keep the drill centre and parallel. Good call with the left hand drill too, If I get to that stage I will get one.
If it doesn't look like it's going to work then I will stop before I totally balls it up and split the cases and find a local engineering shop.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #21
cactus

Bike: M900ie
Hi and welcome. Looking forward to seeing the rebuild as it progresses. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #22
KevTheTeaBoy

So a little update for you.
The drilling of the broken stud went exactly as I thought it would. So I am now stripping the cases to get the broken bit spark eroded out. However that has been fraught with problems. First the clutch hub nut would not come off. My old impact gun wasn't man enough neither was my socket which broke. So enter the new Milwaukee impact gun. What a beast. That and the new socket made light work of it. Being the LH case means I'm now awaiting the primary gear puller as the trusty 2 leg simply won't fit no matter how much modification.
In the mean time the wheels are at the powder coaters, frame and bodywork are at the paint shop so there is some progress.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:37 AM   #23
slob

r/h case?

the primary gear can be a proper arse, sometimes they practically fall off other times you find yourself hitting the puller bolt with a hammer before it moves.

case split is a good excuse for new main bearings and a crankshaft sludge-trap cleanout.

Last edited by slob; 10-09-2020 at 11:40 AM..
Old 10-09-2020, 04:52 PM   #24
KevTheTeaBoy

Sorry I meant RH case. Too much Ducati has wobbled my brain.
Here are some pics of the carnage.

Old 10-09-2020, 05:09 PM   #25
slob

I like the teacup
Old 10-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #26
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
I like the teacup
Looks like an IT Support one!
Old 10-09-2020, 05:36 PM   #27
slob

APE replacement studs?
Old 10-09-2020, 10:34 PM   #28
KevTheTeaBoy

Haha yup APE studs and the tea cup is my work mug and censored. Check out the lovely Kayleigh at Pocket Perfect Designs for suitably rude drinkware.
Old 14-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #29
KevTheTeaBoy

Bit of EDM action today

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 24-10-2020, 10:53 AM   #30
KevTheTeaBoy

So it's been a while but here are some update snaps. Its heading the right way now although I'm sure there will be a hundred little jobs cropping up. I snapped a bloody oil ring getting the front cylinder on (only 2nd time I've ever done that) so that was a costly mistake. I found the good fellows at Motorapido to be excellent to deal with for parts.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: