UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » small issue

Old 15-08-2020, 10:16 PM   #1
craig2494

small issue

Hi to everyone, this is my first post and I'm asking for help.
I have completely rebuilt my M750 into a cafe racer. The small issue im having is it stutters when in top gear around 65mph. Everything electrical is new and it revs as it should in all other gears. I think its a fueling issue. Has anyone removed the vacuum type fuel pump and fitted a electric pump, if so which one have you used ?

Any thoughts would be greatly received
Old 15-08-2020, 10:38 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
The vacuum pumps can be rebuilt with new parts, but they usually cause priming problems and therefore poor starting rather than high speed supply.

If you have done away with the grey triangular plastic pods in the frame either side, it can upset the running at certain speeds, and also bizarrely at certain angles of side winds.

Oh, and welcome to the club btw..
Old 15-08-2020, 10:49 PM   #3
craig2494

Thanks Gazza, that was a really good guess. i still have them so ill put them on an go for a ride tomorrow, fingers crossed as its a real issue when overtaking.
Old 15-08-2020, 11:13 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Their function is to allow the vent pipes from the carbs to end in still air, so hopefully you can remember which pipes it was that were in the pods originally, as I couldn't help you with that I'm afraid.
Good luck, hope it works.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 16-08-2020 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: Added a 'p' so you didn't try and put pies in the pods!
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 05:51 AM   #5
Moco1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig2494 View Post
Hi to everyone, this is my first post and I'm asking for help.
I have completely rebuilt my M750 into a cafe racer. The small issue im having is it stutters when in top gear around 65mph. Everything electrical is new and it revs as it should in all other gears. I think its a fueling issue. Has anyone removed the vacuum type fuel pump and fitted a electric pump, if so which one have you used ?

Any thoughts would be greatly received
Hi Craig, sounds an interesting project, welcome aboard. You can always join us at our monthly meeting which will be starting again in September.....restrictions permitting of course. Look out for Manchester and north west post.

Would be great to see your bike .....and you of course
Old 16-08-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
Flip

Bike: M900
Welcome along- we need pictures but you’ll need a hosting site to post them here.

Yep I agree with Gazza’s suggestion of the grey pods- without them it can give a feeling if pulsing when on a steady cruising throttle.

Locating the tubes in some still air should cure it but you say it’s an issue when asking for more fuel when over taking which isn’t usually a symptom- is 65mph a bit slow for top gear on a 750?
Old 16-08-2020, 10:33 AM   #7
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Welcome to the forum Craig.
Old 16-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #8
craig2494

Thanks

Thank Chaps, Ive just fitted one of the grey pods(lost the other) but ive joined the both pipes into one to test it out the fix. Just been out and its perfect !!!

Thanks for the Advise and i will definitely meet up with you all, think i owe pint or two

Ill try and get a few pictures on this afternoon, I'm quite pleased with how its turned out.

I went to the super-bike factory in Macclesfield yesterday with a couple of mates and genuinely didn't see a bike i would have wanted instead. Though there was loads there in the new building.
Old 16-08-2020, 02:20 PM   #9
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Nice one..

I'm virtually teetotal but I accept chocolate Hobnobs..

If you want to ditch the pod(s) again all you have to do is find a location with still air for the ends of the pipes. I think others have done it, but I don't run carbs anymore, so I can't suggest a place.

You will do much worse than riding out to meet the North-West gang, they're a nice bunch as mis-fits go..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: