UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Regions :. » Region Announcements » Norfolk » February breakfast.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:19 PM   #1
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
February breakfast.

How about we go to the Hillcrest Nurseries Tea Rooms nr Stanton again this time?
It would fit in with our North/South venue oscillation. Besides which it is a very nice venue.

Unless any objections or better ideas?

Hillcrest Nurseries, Stanton. 10am, Sunday 9th Feb.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
Kingfisher88

Should be ok to make it
Old 07-02-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks for all the private responses to this, we should have another nice warm crowd again..

Who knows if we will escape The Great Storm on Sunday? It looks like being very mild, but a good chance of rain... See you there, rain or shine..

P.S. An early note for your diaries; The East Anglian management and co-ordination committee (me and Grumpy!) have already sorted May's breakfast. http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/calendar.php
Sun 17th at the Prickwillow Engine Museum nr Ely. More details to follow. Thanks to Capo for finding that.
https://www.prickwillowmuseum.com/

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 07-02-2020 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Early warning for May added.
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Four of us managed to get to Stanton. Dacs, Grumpy and DaveR… A quorum no less!
Dacs kindly gave me a car lift, we had one turnaround on the way there due to a small fallen tree. On the way home the wind had picked up some more and the rain arrived (with teeth!), we had two more turn arounds for somewhat larger trees and numerous partial, but passable blockages. The tea room was gently creaking throughout our meet!

Great banter, food and coffee was enjoyed and the quorum has added a few dates to the local club calendar, with all our breakfast meets just about nailed down until July.

A general synopsis listed here, more details to follow.

March; Breakfast at Arbuckle's, then ride on to Ramey. Date tbc

April; Breakfast at Krazy Horse, Bury St Edmunds. Sunday 12th.

May; Breakfast at Prickwillow Engine Museum, Ely. Sunday 17th.

June; Breakfast at Brown's Café, Mundford roundabout, then guided tour of preserved Cold War Blue Danube Atom Bomb storage facility at Barningham. Sunday 14th tbc.

July; Breakfast at Wymondham Station, then ride to the Tank Museum at Forncett St Peter. Suday 12th tbc.

Check out the Norfolk forum on here, or the Calendar for details as the dates get nearer.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #5
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Good to meet up with you guys.
My journey home was also interesting. As mentioned over breakfast, I headed off to Necton from Stanton, to survey a install.
Four trees down, including one across the A1066 between Diss and Thetford three times an alternative route was taken.
On the route home, I stopped at RAF Downham Market to look at the memorial to the recipients of the Victoria Cross who flew from the airfield.
http://rafdownhammarket.com

The memorial is very modest, but interesting.

From there, I headed home across a very windy fen!
Old 09-02-2020, 05:37 PM   #6
Kingfisher88

Those places look interesting theres a atom bomb storage facility near Barningham? I'm so close and never knew, although I'm sure I saw something whilst riding about once but never managed to retrace my steps.. look forward to it.
Sorry I never made it.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:11 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher88 View Post
theres a atom bomb storage facility near Barningham? I'm so close and never knew,
Sorry should have posted a link.. https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/barnham...DhlDML8LDNroK8

The fascination for busting Cold War secrets for me, is the fact that it all went on right under our noses everyday. Norfolk was very much in the front line of the hair trigger Armageddon.
When I was lying in my pram at Wells-Next-The-Sea, a US serviceman at Sculthorpe, about ten miles down the road, was sitting astride an Atom bomb, pointing a revolver into the warhead.
It wouldn't have detonated a nuclear explosion, but it would have caused a "dirty" bomb that would possibly have rendered a large chunk of Norfolk un-inhabitable to this day.
Sculthorpe held the largest Nuclear arsenal in Europe. I saw just about every aircraft type in service in the early sixties as they flew over Wells to collect their Bank Holiday Sunshine from Sculthorpe.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 09-02-2020 at 06:14 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:55 PM   #8
Kingfisher88

Nice, i do love to explore all the old air fields and bunkers. thanks.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:25 PM   #9
ChrisC2925

Bike: M600
I take it that's the Stanton near the big DHL depot, I worked there for a while as part of my 'can you go down to East Anglia for 3 weeks?' and 18 months later ended up back at home with a son born in Ipswich!
ChrisC2925 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: