UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » My 796 story, so far .

Old 17-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #1
Doggy

Bike: M796
My 796 story, so far .

Not sure how to say this really but when I bought my 796, I was really after a Suzuki sv650, ooppss.
I had a MV Agusta brutale 800 Italia and a 600 honda hornet and fancied a v-twin so the hornet went .
I couldn't find any decent naked sv's, then came across my 796 on ebay . It was the cheapest 796 anywhere that I could find, now it;s a bit of a strange one as the bike is a 2012 and had 5 owners, but only covered 3,300 miles . Some parts looked like new, but some things like the footpegs were totally corroded . It also only had 1 key and virtually no service history but it was worth a punt . The bike only had 1 mirror and was on odd squared off mis-matched tyres . But I bought it any way !

When I first got it:

I did a couple of rides on it and had to change the tyres. I got a pair of Pirelli Angels which have been good and I've had a few pairs of them on different bikes .

With the MV

The next thing was to get it serviced, I had this done by the highly recommended guys at Ducati pro team here in Kent . A fair few people on the forum use them so they must be good!.

The only extra fitted to the bike was the Termi cans and ecu etc, it sounded great but a little to loud so I bought some small baffles from Desmo world . Many thanks to Luddite for the recomendation, and with a lot of the other parts also!.
A set of R&G bungs were a bargain used off e-bay. The bike was desparate for a tail tidy, R&G again .

Beautifully made baffles .

I then fitted a pair of barend mirrors, cheap ones from ebay and they have been brilliant and on the bike for about two years now .

The bars seemed a little low compared to the MV so I got a CNC racing block that lifts the bars a few mill, and it seemed to make a surprising difference .

Then the buying bug started to kick in . I got some carbon heat shields for the cans and a red wheel/sprocket nut set . Also a red front wheel nut and timing inspection cover .

Last edited by Doggy; 17-10-2019 at 09:18 PM..
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
Doggy

I came across another set of white bodywork on e-bay with a carbon tank top cover, tank stripe . A carbon seatcowl piece and a front stripe on the mudguard . It was a bargain so had to have it, and it looked a bit different .

The only problem then though was the fuel cap looked odd and really stuck out so I bit the bullet and got a Ducati performance one, followed up with black screws .

I think the next thing was a tinted screen, thanks again to Luddite for this as he gave me a link to one for £10 from china and it fitted a treat .

I used the bike for a week's trip abroad and it was faultless . Not long after that I did my first UKMOC weekender which was really good .

On the ferry, europe bound .

Weekender bound .

The next thing was the purchase of a red set of bodywork from a 1100 evo off of a forum member .

Last edited by Doggy; 17-10-2019 at 09:21 PM..
Old 17-10-2019, 07:30 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
A great transformation there, Doggy. You've got the bug bad!

The big question is...what's next??
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 08:51 PM   #4
Doggy

You've cost me a small fortune this year. Lol. Another instalment tomorrow.
Old 17-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #5
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
I'm liking the tinted screen. What site did you find it on?
Old 17-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
Doggy

So, the next thing to do was replace the black screen with a tinted one, the same as on the white set of bodywork I have .

The carbon bug had bitten, so I got a fender extender to go on the front mudguard .
A used carbon hugger from good old ebay .
Carbon belt covers from RSR, fitted perfectly .

Then it was exhaust guard, followed my servo cover . These were from carbon4us.

Next from carbon4us were the oil cooler side covers and the oil cooler cover . This didn't come with a grill so I cut a piece that I had laying around and sprayed it .
These covers were a really fiddle and a pain to fit, a couple of holes had to be enlarged to enable it all to fit .

I coloured the brembo on the calipers red , too add a little colour , not sure how long it will last .
Old 17-10-2019, 10:04 PM   #7
Doggy

The MV was replaced with a 765RS street triple, but the monster will remain .

Carbon sprocket cover was next.

Followed by headlight surround, from carbon4us .

Last edited by Doggy; 17-10-2019 at 10:06 PM..
Old 17-10-2019, 10:16 PM   #8
Doggy

I liked the headlight surround , but it was partially covered by the small front cowling . So I got the carbon instrument cover from carbon4us . I really like the look of these to parts together, although you do notice it being totally naked . I'm not sure if I'll keep it like this though as it is windy, maybe summer use only .

The final mod for this year is a DOC/UKMOC sticker!.

Who knows what's next on the list? . I might put the white panels back on ? Maybe a set of panels sprayed up in corse colours or some other colour? / Maybe gold wheels?
I haven't done mega miles on her, but I have trebbled the mileage in my two years of ownership .
The 765rs is so smooth and faultless, it's almost to good and certainly too easy to ride too quickly .
On the monster you have to be in the right gear for the corner or roundabout, and 85mph feels like 85mph, it's a great little bike . Here's to the next couple of years!

Last edited by Doggy; 17-10-2019 at 10:30 PM..
Old 17-10-2019, 10:34 PM   #9
brandomanv2

Looks great!
Are you selling the white body work?
Old 18-10-2019, 12:17 AM   #10
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I'm liking the tinted screen. What site did you find it on?
The screens come from here, James. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windshiel...-/133125675453

They do all sorts of finishes: dark tint, light tint, iridium, chrome, etc.

Check their eBay shop to see if they do one for your 821.
Old 18-10-2019, 12:21 AM   #11
Luddite

You have been busy, Doggy! Sorry you had trouble with your oil cooler cover but your solution works a treat!

Any led indicators on the horizon? Or maybe some rearsets?? £££
Old 18-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #12
Doggy

Mmm. I'm not sure. The peg position is fine. The only reason I would fit them is to clear up the rear wheel area, but with the rear peg hangers being black they do blend in quite well.
I may get the headlight ring powder coated over the winter if I can be bothered.
Old 18-10-2019, 07:40 AM   #13
Doggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandomanv2 View Post
Looks great!
Are you selling the white body work?
No sorry I might put it on over winter
Old 18-10-2019, 09:10 AM   #14
Uncle Bob

Looks really nice and most of the mods are quite subtle, which I like. I'm not a big fan of the fuel cap though. The idea is good, but to me it just looks really fussy with all the visible bolts and all the machining.

It's interesting how you've changed other bikes but kept the Monster. I've done similar in the past (before I owned Monsters) and it worked out that one bike got ridden and the other one just sat there. I think if I had a 765RS it'd be the 796 that gathered dust, sadly.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #15
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
The screens come from here, James. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windshiel...-/133125675453

They do all sorts of finishes: dark tint, light tint, iridium, chrome, etc.

Check their eBay shop to see if they do one for your 821.
Thanks for the info...will have a look.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: