UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Fi Restrictor Kit for M600 - Fitting Instructions.

Old 28-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Dirty

Question Fi Restrictor Kit for M600 - Fitting Instructions.

Hi

I'm going to need to refit the restrictor when my bike arrives. As far as I'm aware the 'kit' Fi charge £180 for is in essence 2 large flat washers! Luckily I have these but they are in a bag not on the bike. I'm assuming they go in the carbs somehow but not sure where.

Any help/advice would be brilliant. I'm new to bikes but have been playing around with cars for years so I know which end of a spanner tightens screws. That said I've never really understood or enjoyed playing with carbs. I'm sure they work via magic!
Old 28-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
jamiedan2009

My understanding is that the kit stays in a drawer in the house as long as you've got the bit of paper that says its been fitted! (Dont do this as it is illegal, immoral and generally not the sort of thing a fine upstanding citizen like yourself would do lol)
Old 28-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
rac3r

I had my 620 done by Rosso Corse for £30!

Unless you NEED the certificate (which is not a legal requirement) you don't have to go for the FI kit

EDIT: Just seen you already have them, I had the FI kit for my ZX6R which consisted of 4 washers which went in the air box or something (I never fitted it because I only had a few weeks left).

Remove the filter from the Airbox and my guess is it goes there

Last edited by rac3r; 28-02-2012 at 08:11 PM..
Old 28-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Dirty

Ha ha ha. Although tempting I can't risk a penalty if caught so I'm going for the kit. I might see if Rosso Corse still do that deal though. £30 is a steal!
Old 28-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I'd be going for the certificate and the happy thought that the 600 isn't fast enough to start with to raise thoughts that it might be a 'full power' one. In an ideal world you get what 60 something at the crank. not exactly the 90 odd a good FZR600 can put out is it.
Old 28-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Reaperman

I've got a similar kit. Unfortunatly it is pre registered at midlands superbikes. And only a trained technician is able to fit it. My kits not coming out of the shrink rap as by the time the monster is on the road there will be no need to fit it.
Old 28-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaperman View Post
I've got a similar kit. Unfortunatly it is pre registered at midlands superbikes. And only a trained technician is able to fit it. My kits not coming out of the shrink rap as by the time the monster is on the road there will be no need to fit it.

Is the 'kit' just the 2 washer like things or is there other stuff?
Old 28-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
rac3r

The certificate isn't worth anything, if the police stop you and you show them that they can still have your bike tested I believe. However some insurance companies will only accept a certificate or dyno print out as proof of restriction, this is why I had to buy the kit for my ZX6 even though I only had a few weeks left!!
Old 28-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac3r View Post
some insurance companies will only accept a certificate or dyno print out as proof of restriction, this is why I had to buy the kit for my ZX6 even though I only had a few weeks left!!
My insurance said the restrictor would make no difference to the premium. Though obviously if I rode without it and needed to claim that would be totally different.

Interestingly they also said having an alarm made no difference!
Old 29-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
Nottsbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
My insurance said the restrictor would make no difference to the premium. Though obviously if I rode without it and needed to claim that would be totally different.

Interestingly they also said having an alarm made no difference!
They do - you will find that your battery goes flat even quicker

Personally I'd keep the certificate and the restrictor kit in the same drawer at home - like someone else has said I doubt a 600 Monster will ever be stopped becuase the Police think its too powerful
Old 29-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Driving an unrestricted bike on a restricted licence is illegal. You would be in breach of your licence conditions, and invalidate any insurance you have. If prosecuted you could pick up 6 penalty points (no licence and no insurance) and big fine, or possibly even a ban... especially if already carrying a points tally. Having a certificate to back it up makes no difference, especially if the kit isn't fitted in the first place
Old 29-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Nottsbiker

I hear you, but then how many of us rode full power 125's, have loud pipes, speed etc?

Personal choice and all that
Old 29-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
rac3r

I rode 90% of my restriction WITH the restrictor in on my Monster 620 until I broke it. No really I actually did break the throttle stop

Chances of being stopped and asked for it are very slim but it only takes the one time to mess it all up
Old 29-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
Dirty

To be honest I'd happily not bother. I agree the chances of being caught are slim at best but if I did and ended up with a no licence/no insurance prosecution it could have grave career repercussions so I'm simply not going to risk it.

I don't care about certification, I just want <25kw.

Am still a bit clueless as to where the washers go. Apart from the kitchen drawer of course!
Old 29-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
rac3r

Like I said remove the airbox lid, remove the filter and under there you will see 2 intake holes. Most restrictors restrict the air intake and limit the how much the throttle can be turned with a throttle stop screw.

To make sure you could ask someone like Rosso Corse or a Ducati dealer and ask them how they are fitted, some won't mind helping you out.

By the way when I removed the restriction on my 620 I couldn't really feel the difference except it revved a little faster. This was with a throttle stop restriction