UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » AA Vans - Now Bike Friendly

Old 05-05-2015, 09:04 AM   #1
LouSCannon
These must fit a Monster?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
AA Vans - Now Bike Friendly

So, after a rather annoying and minor incident yesterday in deepest darkest Wales on the Scrambler (Sitting down enjoying a break in the sun and she rolls off the side stand, school boy error of not getting the angle quite right on a slope *sigh*) I had to call the AA to come pick me up (Only damage, broken clutch lever).

Made it clear on the phone, as you do, that the bike isn't fixable and could they please ensure they send straight for a low loader as opposed to what happened to me in the past, waiting for two hours for a van only to then wait another two for the truck.

Lo and behold a couple of hours later a van pulls up. Oh joy. Quick chat with the friendly bloke and turns out he's in one of the latest vans. Within is a fold out trailer for cars, but is also adapted to take most bikes (Massive heavy cruisers with big back tyres about the only exception). Takes a little faffing to fix the ramp on, but still much quicker then waiting for a truck.

Apparently the AA almost didn't make the investment, but over the next year or so all new AA vans will have this fitted. Thought it worth sharing.

Last edited by LouSCannon; 05-05-2015 at 10:48 AM..
LouSCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #2
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
My dad will be happy, he's just getting to grips with a new to him, 1939 triumph t70 and working through it's quirks as he uses it.
Got to be better than just using a web of rachet straps on the back of a truck!
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Yeah my scoot was picked up by one of these last week. Took the chap a while to remember how it all works. It's bit like a meccano set crossed with a jigsaw puzzle and a rubics cube but once solved works brilliantly.

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I would have ridden it home.
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:57 PM   #5
garry

a significant improvement indeed, many yonks ago i had my bandit picked up by the AA, low loader an all.

he slipped getting it off at my house, dented tank and zaust, and i had to phone a bloody ambulance for chappy who done his leg in..
Old 05-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #6
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
[QUOTE=Mr Gazza;507948]I would have ridden it home...

One of those vans dropped a bike off at the store a few weeks ago, like Dirty said a cross between a meccano set and a jigsaw but that said very impressive...
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #7
uksurfer
Its all grey now

Bike: M1200s
i would have carried it home
uksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #8
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

[QUOTE=buzzbomb;507975]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I would have ridden it home...
Almost as if you don't believe me?..
Old 05-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #9
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
[QUOTE=Mr Gazza;507984]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbomb View Post

Almost as if you don't believe me?..
Well you may well of tried but there is no prize for screwing a gear box up on a new bike for a lot of miles from wales to England especially if you have cover for breakdown.
Been there done that in the next town near to home on an Suzuki X5 but I had no money and no cover at 17.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:22 PM   #10
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I don't think careful clutchless gearchanges would do the gearbox any harm if properly done. Sometimes you can help on upshifts with a dab on the kill button...Helps if the button is spring loaded.
Down shifts almost do themselves...Bit of pressure on the pedal and ease the power off...Snick.

The hard part is getting away. A down hill slope helps. You need to get rolling either down hill or by pushing like mad, then let it drop into gear whilst properly seated and hope it chimes in smoothly with a closed throttle, and gently ease it away.

With an electric start it should be easier to start in gear if the various cutouts allow it.
It might be possible to knobble the clutch switch at the roadside so the starter would work in gear?

An emergency stop is the kill switch. Otherwise select neutral in plenty of time and brake to a stop. preferably at the top of a hill or at least facing down hill.

Okay it's not how I ride every day but I've done it a couple of times...Wouldn't want to do it in too much traffic though, or in town...And I carry an RAC card now....
Old 05-05-2015, 11:35 PM   #11
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
Several years ago I rode from the top of Sierra Nevada in Spain to about 20 miles west of Malaga, about 120 miles in total, without a working clutch. Luckily traffic was light and there was no town riding. I probably wouldn't try something similar in the UK due to the traffic.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #12
LouSCannon
These must fit a Monster?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
I don't think careful clutchless gearchanges would do the gearbox any harm if properly done. Sometimes you can help on upshifts with a dab on the kill button..........
Why on earth would you want to risk all that? I quite prefer my method thanks, sit on a grass verge, enjoy the view and the peace and quiet, then get a nice stress free lift home in a van
Old 06-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #13
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Glad you got home ok and that the AA have made the investment.
I've been on the back of a truck many times

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #14
Nottsbiker

Quote:
I would have ridden it home.
Me too - cant beat a bit of buccaroo stamping a bike into first at the lights
Old 06-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #15
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouSCannon View Post
Why on earth would you want to risk all that? I quite prefer my method thanks, sit on a grass verge, enjoy the view and the peace and quiet, then get a nice stress free lift home in a van
I hope you don't think I'm having a pop Jim, I'm sure you did the right thing, and I may well have ended up doing the same. But in my stubborn way, I would have tried everything in my power first, before surrendering to outside help...Only had to give in to a tow once, for the want of a 6 volt condenser.!

Come to think of it I might think differently if it was a brand new bike....And congratulatoins on the new Scrambler....Didn't know you had one till you mentioned it above..

I only ever had one bike from new, a Neval 650 boxer outfit. The manual was quite entertaining and described different starting techniques for conditions in ten degree increments below zero....Basically, the fire that you had to light beneath the sump consisted of bigger sticks, the colder it was.......True.!

A mate of mine once read me out a passage from some Eastern European Bike manual, which descibed the starting procedure in some detail and ended with instuctions to bump start it in the event of a low battery. It went somthing like...

.....pushing the machine as fast as possible, jump onto the saddle and release the clutch.
Repeat until engine fires, or destination is reached.