UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Alternative headlamps...

Old 04-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #151
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I can imagine the thought process that lead to this being invented and produced, but it is kind of re-inventing the wheel.
I like simple and I just think that lights coming on and off whilst cornering would be a distraction for me. I'm looking for a lamp that has a carefully design, giving a good spread of light for all occasions.
It strikes me that the gubbins that makes this work is just something to go wrong when you least need it to.

My wife's Yeti has a feature that turns an extra driving lamp on, on one particular side, when the wheel is turned, supposedly to help you see round a corner better.
She thought that there was something wrong when she first noticed it, thinking that only one of the lamps was working.. intermittently! The feature was pointed out when she mentioned it at the following service.
I find it of very limited advantage and just distracting. Especially as to my mind it would be far better if it was the lamp on the outside of the bend that came on, angled across the car into the bend.

We had fun at work when she was looking for a Yeti.. " Hev she got a Yeti yet?" "No, she hent got a Yeti yet".
Then when it arrived and was Black, we all sang "Whoa Black Yeti. Bamalam."..
Old 04-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #152
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
"All you need is ........"
utopia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #153
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
My dads Cadillac had side illumination lights that came on with the indicators
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #154
Chriswilly

Bike: M900ie
Afternoon all!
Jez -I fitted a H7 Osram 100/80 to Norah (standard original 7inch Bosch headlamp) and find it really good. Excellent flat cut-off on dip which illuminates all three lanes when running in the middle one.
Can see for miles on main beam.
The main thing is that it is 'natural' light and is easier to drive with. Passed the MOT without any comments two months ago.
The other point here is that the headlight seemed to have a 'misty' reflector which in fact is condensation on the inside of the glass - removed with cotton wool on a wooden 'spill' with isopropyl alchol. Don't try and clean the reflector - but you know this already.
Chriswilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #155
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

How did you fit an H7 in an H4 fitting? (standard Bosch is not 7" btw)
The mist you found was probably smoke condensate? Why not clean the reflector?
Old 04-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #156
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post

My wife's Yeti has a feature that turns an extra driving lamp on, on one particular side, when the wheel is turned, supposedly to help you see round a corner better.
She thought that there was something wrong when she first noticed it, thinking that only one of the lamps was working.. intermittently! The feature was pointed out when she mentioned it at the following service.
I find it of very limited advantage and just distracting. Especially as to my mind it would be far better if it was the lamp on the outside of the bend that came on, angled across the car into the bend.
Cornering fog lights can be disabled if you find it distracting, although (unless in the car's setup menu) you need to use a VCDS cable to do it.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #157
Darkness

Bike: M900
The standard Bosch headlight lens is separate from the reflector, so you can give the insides a polish with a soft cloth to get the milky cloudiness off. You don't need the meths..
Old 04-02-2018, 04:23 PM   #158
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
The standard Bosch headlight lens is separate from the reflector, so you can give the insides a polish with a soft cloth to get the milky cloudiness off. You don't need the meths..

my bosch units are sealed have to
do it like a gynecologist through the little hole !!!!!!
Old 21-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #159
S4Rs MacK

Gazza. PM sent. Email to follow.

Dean
Old 21-03-2018, 05:00 PM   #160
Evostu

Bike: M1100evo
Has anyone come up with a solution for the woefully inadequate headlight on the monster 1100 evo,if so would like to hear from you,stu
Evostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #161
bazread

Very expensive but I would recommend the set up from Motodemic.com
Old 23-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #162
Dennis menace

Bike: Other Ducati
I just re-fitted a Hawk HID unit to my 1992 750SS. At only £17 off EBay it is a bargain and is easy to fit. No wiring mods needed. You can buy H4 and H7 options. Two year guarantee.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenon-HID...0AAMXQM0FRenvF
Dennis menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #163
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

[QUOTE=Dennis menace;552927]I just re-fitted a Hawk HID unit to my 1992 750SS. At only £17 QUOTE]

Or £21.98 inc postage. Do you get one or two bulbs for that?

Interesting conversion and definitely worth a punt, although a few have tried HID units in standard Monster lights and not had great results, on account of the poor reflector/lens.

I remember the lights on my own '92 750SS. Riding that at night was like sliding down a ten foot razor blade, using your balls for brakes.
Not only did you need a white stick, but the dip switch was so close to the headlight switch, that I actually turned the lights right off on a couple of occasions instead of dipping.. I had a total of one ride in the dark on that one.
Great in the daylight though.

It did make my Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport look good though. It did away with electrical lighting all together and employed a torpid glow worm. This negated the need for a switch too. You just had to wait for the mating season.
Old 23-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #164
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I have a similar set up on my S4, it is very bright and a definite improvement but the beam pattern isn't great with the old reflector and lens, it lights up everything for miles! I think it blinds oncoming traffic and those large white reflective road signs are so bright they dazzle me.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 07:23 PM   #165
jerry
Old Git

HID now illegal in UK , will not pass MOT from May 2018 and police can prosecute if you have HID lamps installed

Last edited by jerry; 24-03-2018 at 09:14 AM..
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote