UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Clutch Bleed

Old 20-03-2018, 08:41 PM   #31
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Tony, I had exactly the same problem with my previous 1100s. It got so frustrating bleeding it all the time and I eventually bit the bullet and replaced the master cylinder on the handlebars, it sorted it straight away and stayed perfect until it was sold.
My guess is you have the same problem. There wasn't a seal kit available back then (4 years ago), possibly there may be now if enough have failed?
I bought an Oberon slave cylinder, replaced the hose and fluid numerous times before realising and finally sorting it!
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 12:21 PM   #32
TonyG

Hi,
It may well turn out to be the master cylinder. The problem is that I have had the bike over 3 years without a single issue with the clutch. This has all started with me just flushing through some new fluid.
Thanks
Old 23-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #33
Joshua Brew

Bike: M1100evo
Hi Tony,
ive been pulling my hair out after reading your thread so i though i would bleed my clutch system, As i was doing it on a paddock stand a noticed the clutch wasnt disengaging fully.i was certain there was air in the system somewhere. I bled it every way possible, vacum, pump pump release. Push with syringe! The clutch was dragging on the paddock stand bo matter what i did, in fact it was getting worse. Anyway i got so cheesed of i thougj i would de stress by taking out for a thrash. It got better the more i rode it. After aboy 50 mile i came home put it on the paddock stand, engaged first, pulled clutch, pushed rrar wheel and hey presto it was free! These italians will see the death of me.

Last edited by Joshua Brew; 23-03-2018 at 09:50 PM..
Joshua Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 11:27 PM   #34
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Most importantly though, don't lose too much sleep over this... A good ol' Italian tune up will probably sort it.
Old 23-03-2018, 11:42 PM   #35
TonyG

Yep, next step is a damn good thrashing when I get the chance.

Only other thing I might try is cleaning up the clutch rod and the slave cylinder.

Stuck decorating for the next few days.
Old 24-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #36
Joshua Brew

Bike: M1100evo
When i was bleeding the clutch i noticed a bit of fluid in and around the slave cylinder, went back to it this morning and it leaked a little bit again. So this morning i went to deemon tweeks and bought a Oberon slave, its brilliant. Clutch lever feels lighter, smooth and it looks good too. For £92.50 its well worth it. No clutch drag whats so ever.

Last edited by Joshua Brew; 24-03-2018 at 06:27 PM..
Joshua Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #37
TonyG

I cleaned up the slave cylinder, couldn't remove the clutch rod, but cleaned the end and fitted it all back together, bled it again, started it and no difference. So, I actually rode it ! With my helmet on and earplugs I didn't notice it all all when I was riding, so maybe I was just being too sensitive after riding another bike for a few months which does have a very slick clutch and gearbox.

I will leave it at that for now, thanks for all the advice. God, it was nice to ride it again, I really have gelled with my 1100s.

Cheers