UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » G-tech

Old 22-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #1
Elainesu

Exclamation G-tech

Although owning Monsters for a few years now, this is my first post on forum. My beloved 796 has been in G-Tech, Stoke Albany, for over a month now. It just kept clicking on starter button. First it was intermittent and then it was all the while. It would start if in 1st gear and sort of bumped. Its had a service, new battery and everything else looked at to no avail. Sorry I digress, the reason for posting is I wonder if anybody has any experience of G-Tech since the main man Geoff left and the new chap took over. I cant contact them, this week, either by landline or by mobile. I went round after work and the place was shut up. I am just getting a bad feeling about this. Elaine
Old 22-09-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Sorry can't help as I wasn't aware that G-Tech was continuing after Geoff leaving?

I can say that Geoff is a top bloke and always very helpful and I'm certain he wouldn't have left you in the lurch, so to speak but I have no idea who is running it now. A month seems a bit severe though, hopefully you'll get it sorted soon?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #3
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Geoff went off to Aus a good while back and sold the business as a going concern to the new fella (dont remember his name) prob not what you want to hear right now but the bloke struck me as a dreamer, i would get your bike out off there ASAP fixed or not.

He is trading of Geoff's good name has not even changed the website so anybody who does not know would assume he was still there

I'll drop Geoff a note see if he can do anything

Last edited by Kato; 22-09-2016 at 10:25 AM..
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
Elainesu

thanks for your replies. I have used them for a few years now, and have always been pleased with them. I did know Geoff had gone to Australia. Have actually managed to get through to them today and he is waiting for a second hand starter motor to see if that works, rather than buy a new one and that not solve the problem. Here's hoping.
Old 22-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #5
Flip

Out of interest- have they changed the solenoid (starter relay)?

A faulty one would give the symptoms of a click when the button's pressed and often starts failing intermittently as you describe.

I recently changed my solenoid after testing the starter circuit when my bike developed exactly those symptoms and for £30 it's certainly less hassle to change than a starter motor. But to be honest if they know what they're doing they could run 12v direct to the starter motor to see if it spins as it should to eliminate or prove it at fault along with a few other tests to find the exact cause of your problem.

Last edited by Flip; 22-09-2016 at 04:17 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 04:02 PM   #6
Dukedesmo

Not to say anything against the guy but personally I'd be a bit concerned that a professional technician was using trial & error to diagnose a faulty starter motor...

Old 22-09-2016, 04:09 PM   #7
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
Not to say anything against the guy but personally I'd be a bit concerned that a professional technician was using trial & error to diagnose a faulty starter motor...
Exactly!!!
Old 22-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
It does sound a bit like he's guessing. I wonder, if he's already jury-rigged the starter circuit bypassing the solenoid then he would at least be more certain that the fault is with the starter motor or the connections to it.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 12:13 AM   #9
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
But to be honest if they know what they're doing they could run 12v direct to the starter motor to see if it spins as it should to eliminate or prove it at fault along with a few other tests to find the exact cause of your problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
It does sound a bit like he's guessing. I wonder, if he's already jury-rigged the starter circuit bypassing the solenoid then he would at least be more certain that the fault is with the starter motor or the connections to it.
Exactly what I said

To be honest there really isn't much that it can be if it's intermittent when the button is pressed, just a process of elimination.

Worst case being a break in the wiring somewhere- well trying to find the break is the worst part (mostly likely around the headstock though).
Old 23-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #10
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Really hope you get your bike sorted quickly (and cheaply!).

Did the yellow 'check engine light' come on with this problem and are there any error messages on the dash? I had a similar problem with my 1100 Evo. I would press the starter button and just get a 'click-click-click' while the button was depressed. It was doubly puzzling because the CEL wasn't lit.

It turned out that the injector relay (15 on this diagram)...

which lives on the battery box (no. 6)...

had worked itself out of its connector. It was still making contact but the connection broke down when I tried to start it. All it took was a firm press to reseat the relay and a cable tie to stop it happening again.

Worth checking, if it hasn't already been done.

Good luck!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 07:53 PM   #11
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Really hope you get your bike sorted quickly (and cheaply!).

Did the yellow 'check engine light' come on with this problem and are there any error messages on the dash? I had a similar problem with my 1100 Evo. I would press the starter button and just get a 'click-click-click' while the button was depressed. It was doubly puzzling because the CEL wasn't lit.

It turned out that the injector relay
See, now that is the problem with the new fangled electrickery they put on modern motorcycles!!!

Yet again brilliant help and information from the UKMOC though- Lets hope the shop doing the repairs read the forum too!!
Old 23-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #12
Dukedesmo

There maybe many added complications/connectors/interlocks etc. on the starting circuit on newer bikes but a starter motor either works or it doesn't. Yes there could be an intermittent fault but that would be easy enough to establish without replacing it.

Old 26-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #13
Elainesu

g-tech

Thanks for all your advice. it is all double dutch to me, I know where the petrol goes and that is about it. As I live on my own I do have to rely on 'expert opinions' He has done all the computer checks and bypassed this, that and the other, or so he told me and I don't doubt him. The small yellow light had been coming on more recently, intermittently though, and it would still start when this was on. Thanks for that brilliant diagram. Certainly will pick this up with him, if the different starter motor doesn't work. Elaine
Old 27-09-2016, 10:33 AM   #14
Unit 18

All you need to do is put a multimeter positive lead to the connector on the starter motor cable and the earth onto a good earth point and see what voltage (if any) you're getting there when you press the starter button.
Old 27-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #15
Elainesu

I am going to phone him again tomorrow, which makes the 5 weeks that she has had the bike. If he has had no success, will give him all your suggestions. Many thanks Elaine