UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Cheapest renewal ever!

Old 04-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Cheapest renewal ever!

£0!

Got my renewal letter this morning. It appears Carol Nash can no longer offer me insurance. No reason given but I presume it's because I had a couple of scooters stolen in the last couple of years.

Oh well I intended to look elsewhere anyway before renewing as their 'free' recovery service has got steadily worse over the years.

I was a bit concerned but did a quick search on thebikeinsurer.co.uk and found a whole bunch of companies happy to insure me for cheaper than I paid last year!

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:55 PM   #2
Ursa

Carol Nash have always either refused to insure me because of my line of work, or given me a ridiculous quote that is basically a foxtrot oscar (one time the man on the phone actually said I could go out at lunch and knock down John Cleese and they'd face a huge payout!).

I'm not sure if your bikes qualify as classics (rules vary), if so I was with Footman James for years with the Lambretta and my classic mini, and they were always ok.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:06 PM   #3
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Footman James are good, I've been with them for years but you need to own a classic >15 years or older and be a member of an owners club (BMF, MAG, VMC affiliated or whatever) and they will happily add multiple bikes even modern ones quite reasonably (around £50 per bike IIRC). The only caveat is that there is a garage clause, I'm not sure if most standard modern policies have that clause. (Must be garaged overnight 10pm-6am)?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:54 AM   #4
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Back to ebike for me after DI quoted me extra 490 GBP for hyper if I fit road angel tracker which is 399 or 499 even for 1st year.

That was 3 months in to insurance so that amount was for remaining 9 months.

Fast forward to ebike for 605 for 12 months and I did not declare yet any of extra security as waiting for proper tracker to be fitted.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
Nottsbiker

When I got a quote for the 900 last year the prices were barely coming in any more expensive than the 50cc scooter I was commuting into Nottingham on at around the £100 mark.

One of the advantages of getting older methinks...
Old 05-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #6
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Yep, and the bike gets older as well as the owner.
My 750 just about qualifies for the Footman James classic status now.

I've been with Devitt for years now, with a 2-bike policy.
And its only 3rd party.
Yep, if I smash it up myself I want to repair it myself, rather than let someone else loose on it with their spanners and high prices.
I probably have enough spare bits lying around now to rebuild it anyway.

One thing I definitely do want to avoid is some joker saying "its a write off and we're not letting you have it back".
Just let them try that one.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:26 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa View Post
....I could go out at lunch and knock down John Cleese .....
If it's not a rude question....Why would you be likely to knock John Cleese down?

Come to think of it, I could have run Steven Fry over once...But he jumped out of the way..
Old 05-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #8
SteveG

Ageing comedy celebrity assassin is a valid career maybe???? Surely a comfy chair should be the weapon of choice....
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:50 PM   #9
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
If it's not a rude question....Why would you be likely to knock John Cleese down?

Come to think of it, I could have run Steven Fry over once...But he jumped out of the way..
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Old 06-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #10
Ursa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post

I was working at the Beeb at the time. Generally I work across TV/film/music/theatre and insurers frown upon us crazy entertainment types. Regardless of the fact I work in the super dull finance bit!
Old 06-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #11
Ursa

Actually when Edna had her misbehaving rev thing, I accidentally rev-bombed Bobby Gillespie who was right in front of me on a zebra crossing. This was pre-baffles too. He looked terrified and scurried off, presumably home, to change his trousers.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #12
Dirty
Bockloks

Update

Bit of phoning about and the Monster is now insured at a few quid cheaper than last year (£160) with a slightly better policy ie I can ride other bikes (3rd Party cover if not owned and separately insured). Result

The Fireblade is a different story however. Despite the fact that I valued it far lower than the Duke the cheapest quote so far for same cover (TPFT) is £1650!!! Highest is £9600 3rd party! Go figure!

Old 06-04-2017, 02:17 AM   #13
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Update
The Fireblade is a different story however. Despite the fact that I valued it far lower than the Duke the cheapest quote so far for same cover (TPFT) is £1650!!! Highest is £9600 3rd party! Go figure!
Update update

Just insured the Blade, 14 months later, £1500 less! £128! Though it's still 100% more than I ended up paying last year but I'm a such a happy Honda owner I'm gonna treat her to a service

Old 07-04-2017, 06:31 PM   #14
jerry
Old Git

my bike insurance is reasonable nchanged £129 last year for 750ss and m 750 i tink it wont be much more this year??? but car insurers are taking the **** 21 years old Saab 900 worth £1000 10 years NCD last tear £399 this years cheapest quote so far £ 597!!!!!!! and i have a clean license 0 points
Old 07-04-2017, 08:10 PM   #15
ducmon1200s

Try ducati official insurance. .I did and it's really competitive