UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Insurance help

Old 11-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #1
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Insurance help

Hi All,

Got a bit of a hit from the back on hyper.

Damage is devided in to two parts:

1. Need to change to be road worthy
- Right site rear set
- Bars
- Bar Clamps
- Right indicator/hand guard
- Right Mirror

2. Cosmetic
Crash bungs
right tank cover
right engine cover
slip-on
decat pipe
brake lever

Now issue is it was a instance of road rage, guy rear ended me to knock me off, then when I tried to stop him riding away he back away from bike, crashed in to an ambulance, almost run me over and spun the bike one more time around.

I do not want to claim on my insurance unless 3rd party is found and admits liability.
If not then I can do fix myself.

My insurance company says I cannot do repair on my own as then 3rd party will not accept it and will not pay as they did not have time to send their assessor.

I would need to send the bike away for up to 3 months which I do not want to do but also ducati standing 3 months is not a good ducati anymore.

Can I get a independent assessor, ducati dealer, to do damage assessment then repair the road worthy bits and wait for rest?

Have plenty of photos.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
Wildfire

Have you got any witnesses and details? If so it might be time for an accident management company..
Old 11-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #3
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

I do and I have accident management via my insurance.

They want to take my bike away.

Thing is as guy left scene of accident. It will take time to get his details, his liability if he admits and then his insurance company needs to do ****.

So my one is offering to take it to storage, give me rental bike.
Then wait for 3rd party.

Or I sue my insurance, they fix it in their dealer, then if 3rd party is found and OK to pay for they will claim back, if not I have used my own insurance and my premium goes sky high.

I do not wan my bike stored without use let alone pay insurance rates for replacing 6 broken off pieces.
They are not cheap pieces but still it is a question of remove a piece and put a new one in.

"I am Lucazade"
Old 11-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #4
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Do you have witnesses? Presumably the ambulance? Are the police involved?

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #5
Wildfire

Get the police involved if you haven't already. It is an offence to leave the scene of an accident.

If you have the space you can insist on keeping hold of your bike, the AMC will want to take it as they can charge the other insurance co. for storage per day.

I had something similar, I wasn't allowed to replace the parts myself until it was sorted out. But I kept the bike in the garage and they sent assessors around to have a look at it. As it's involved in an accident it may not be legal to ride.

If it's technically "not rideable", take the hire bike and say you will store the bike yourself. I have never given up my bike (unless it was to a garage of my choice to repair it).
Old 11-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #6
Wildfire

If you accept a hire bike, make sure you explicitly ask whether you will ever incur any charges for the hire bike. Some places say you will be liable in the event your insurer cannot recover the hire charges.

Just say, for the recording, that you will accept the hire bike but only as long as you are not liable for any charges at any time.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I would assume that as the tw@t hit an Ambulance, that things would move ahead fairly swiftly...Also assuming that you have made a full statement to the Police?
Old 11-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #8
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

All statements made, they have their witnesses that they asked around for plus ambulance driver whom seen the bloke charging up the road like a loon and me after him on the other side of road.

I also have a cyclist that seen it all as he almost got wiped out by me falling over.

Back to original question, after assessment by ducati dealer and my insurance company is there a law saying 3rd party does not have to pay out as they did not asses damage them selves?

It makes no sense if you have a independent assessment done.

Like mentioned I just do not want to wait a week for it to be sorted, let alone months.

At worse will get them to come around to asses, then replace bits I need for road with after market that I want (renthal bars) plus rear set and I am ready to ride and swap it back if I need to.

"I am Lucazade"
Old 11-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #9
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

On the road charges by Ducati (no work added).

My one with aftermarket bits I want about 350 (rear set being biggest cost).

The cosmetic bits almost a grand.

"I am Lucazade"
Old 11-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #10
Kentgent

Police? Really?

If its the MET police dont bother....they won't lift a finger. My car got damaged within an hour time frame at my work car park (full of CCTV and with an ANPR Camera on entrance/exit barrier so they had all the plates going in and out in that time slot, maybe 5 cars max.....the car park control room refused me the footage, and said they would give it to the Police - guess what - 'Sorry, unless you can give us the number plate, we are too short on resources' = We cant be arsed to view 1 hr of CCTV coverage even where the culprit has left the scene of an accident and we have cast iron CCTV proof......

Sad world we live in - now if there was a speed camera on site they would be there every day polishing it
Old 11-07-2016, 06:16 PM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentgent View Post
If its the MET police dont bother....they won't lift a finger. My car got damaged within an hour time frame at my work car park (full of CCTV and with an ANPR Camera on entrance/exit barrier so they had all the plates going in and out in that time slot, maybe 5 cars max.....the car park control room refused me the footage, and said they would give it to the Police - guess what - 'Sorry, unless you can give us the number plate, we are too short on resources' = We cant be arsed to view 1 hr of CCTV coverage even where the culprit has left the scene of an accident and we have cast iron CCTV proof......

Sad world we live in - now if there was a speed camera on site they would be there every day polishing it
Yea I do think sometimes the law is in favour of criminals and isn't on our side as a victim of crime. I had my daily ride stolen a few years back, an old BM K100. It wasn't worth a whole lot (£1000 tops) but it was my daily transport to work. I came down one morning to find the Oxford chain had been cut and the bike was gone. No biggie, I just reported it tothe police and my insurance and went on my way. It wasn't a bike with any sentimental value.

They contacted me a few months later saying they had found the bike dumped in a ditch down a back lane about 10 miles from my house and would I come and identify it.

So I did, the bike was clearly my old bike minus the krausers and had been handpainted a different colour and different reg and tax disk from another bike. It was trashed and I didn't want it back so the insurance company sorted the loss and gave me the money for a new bike.

Anyway a few weeks after that the police got back in touch said they had found the guy because he'd left his helmet with the bike and was known to them from their DNA records they found in the helmet.

They then called me in and interviewed me and made me make a formal statement to say I hadn't given the guy permission to take the bike as he had told them my name and that I had said he could ride it.

Even though it was pretty clear he had taken it and changed the identity of the bike they couldn't press charges as there was no forensic evidence on the bike itself only his helmet which wasn't enough for a prosecution.

At the time I was treated like under suspicion like I had some involvement in it!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #12
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentgent View Post

Sadly the police often need reminding of their job and duties. They may have considered this a 'civil matter' as it was on presumably private land. They love the term 'civil matter' as most people accept it and give up. Perhaps reminding them this was a case of criminal damage would have got them off their arrs. The other area to push would have been a FOI request to the CCTV owner. It is no doubt stored digitally and you can therefore legally request it (cos you are on it).

Old 11-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #13
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post

Anyway a few weeks after that the police got back in touch said they had found the guy because he'd left his helmet with the bike and was known to them from their DNA records they found in the helmet.
They DNA'd the helmet!!!! Blimey you can hardly say they weren't trying in that case!

Old 11-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #14
Kentgent

Okay, for a bit of balance - my last 3 points (on 4 wheels not two) was at the hand of a Motorbike copper.....He was ever so nice and virtually apologised for the dual carriageway I was on having been decreased to 50MPH by the Council.....said 'He thought it was a load of toffee and should be 70.......even though I was doing 85 ......it's a fair cop in that instance, and the whole transaction left me feeling 'at least some of them have common sense and a heart'......... both parties went their own way none the worse, with me a little lighter in the pocket and thinking it's my own fault......No smug comments from the copper on stopping me was a good start, and I respond to that positively, especially knowing that I was in the wrong

With regard to the numpties in the MET - The car park is private 'but a very well known London landmark and the guy from NCP said himself their control room often have dealings with the MET and sort things like this out.

When I wrote to the Police, I included in the report failure to stop at the scene of an accident etc etc etc......

I guess its just a lazy doughnut eater who can't be arsed to do their job....But the request under FOI is a good idea.....I'll do that and see how I get on.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #15
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

now what about my problem can i fix and can 3rd party refuse to pay repair cost when i fix? Even if i have damage report from dealer?

"I am Lucazade"