UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Brakes

Old 16-09-2020, 10:41 PM   #1
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
Brakes

So changed my front pads a wee while back to some fancy brembo ones. SC’s I think.

Whilst they are absolutely great and super powerful, I’m wondering if anybody has come across an issue of the front tyre kind of skipping! It feels like the abs is activated but I’ve never managed to glimpse it on whilst the front ‘skips’.

Not a big problem really because I have to be doing stupid stuff with the front brake and catch it badly i.e. rippled tarmac or similar.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 06:05 AM   #2
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Does the lever pulse?
If the brakes are working better they may be showing up deficiencies in the front fork set up.
Either you are bottoming out on the bump stops and the tyre is complaining when there is no suspension left or there is too much compression damping and the fork is effectively hydraulically locked momentarily.
I would put a zip tie on the fork leg and see if I could provoke the behaviour again and then work out if you are anywhere near bottoming the fork, if yes, then increase the spring pre-load or put a drop more oil in the forks, if no, take a couple of clicks out of the compression damping.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #3
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
If no above you could also try changing the fork oil for a lighter weight.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 08:05 AM   #4
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
Does the lever pulse?
If the brakes are working better they may be showing up deficiencies in the front fork set up.
Either you are bottoming out on the bump stops and the tyre is complaining when there is no suspension left or there is too much compression damping and the fork is effectively hydraulically locked momentarily.
I would put a zip tie on the fork leg and see if I could provoke the behaviour again and then work out if you are anywhere near bottoming the fork, if yes, then increase the spring pre-load or put a drop more oil in the forks, if no, take a couple of clicks out of the compression damping.
Thank man. Defo not bottoming out, zip ties are on. Could try pre-load or compression and have a play

No lever pulse…I don’t think. If there is it’s not noticeable.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote