UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Alternator Cover

Old 18-07-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
Flip

Bike: M900
Alternator Cover

I’m getting round to another job on the Monster, that being upgrading the two yellow Alternator wires to a more appropriate gauge to handle the output current in preparation for fitting a new regulator/rectifier.

So chaps my questions- firstly do I really need to make/buy one of these to get the cover off or do they come off quite easily without?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F160913702319

Next with around 34,000 miles under its’ wheels would it be prudent to pop a new Sprag clutch in while I’m digging around there.

I’ve not had any issues with it so far but am well aware of the ‘Law of Sod’ so asking the question

Thanks in advance!!
Old 18-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
you can do it without but a tool makes it easier.
easy enough to make your own though, if you have scraps of metal, odd bolts and a tap and die set knocking about.
consider swapping out gear return springs if you’re going in past the alternator.
cheap and prone to failure (although more so on later bikes)
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 12:53 PM   #3
Flip

Cheers Slob, yep knocking a tool up would be no problem- how thick would it need to be?

20mm or so?

I haven’t looked, is the gear return spring a flywheel off job?

I know it’s a case of where to stop but what are your thoughts on doing the Sprag too?
Old 18-07-2020, 01:30 PM   #4
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
10mm ally or 5mm steel should be fine, centre hole needs tapping, outer pair not.
you could use wood at 20mm!

you need flywheel off to get the shifter pawl out (or change sprag)

the sprags wear... do you find metal during oil changes? does the bike turn over a couple of times before starting. it’s usually a vicious circle of weak battery and worn sprag making each other worse over time.

could you do a three wire upgrade while you were at it?

Last edited by slob; 18-07-2020 at 01:36 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 01:52 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
You can get the puller cheaper than that, try Laser tools or search for others. As Rob said, it's easy to make anyway.. Never thought of wood but something hard would hold a thread for one use at least. Or just use a nut behind middle bolt to push the case off?

The most important thing to remember with this job is to find the last cover screw which sits under the clutch slave and hides in the chain goo.. If you didn't already know about it?

I wouldn't bother with the other jobs unless they really need doing, after all the cover comes off easily, especially if you already have the puller on the shelf.
Old 28-07-2020, 10:42 PM   #6
Flip

Sorry for not replying sooner chaps but thanks for your thoughts.

The bike turns over nice and quickly and fires up easily as long as it's not been left a ridiculous length of time and got dry.

The oil never has any shiny bits in it or on the drain plug magnet at service times so I'm happy it's not eating itself just yet so I think I will just swap the Alternator wires for some more suitable gauge for now in preparation for fitting the new Regulator/Rectifier I have sat in the garage and try to get out on it as much as I can for the rest of this year.
Old 30-07-2020, 01:08 AM   #7
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Bike: M900ie
I use the cover with two longer 6mm cap head screws and a 8 mm cap head screwed into the end of the crank. You’ve only really got to overcome the magnetism of the alternator.

Ian