UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » M900 Fuel Tank Variations...

Old 29-06-2018, 04:06 PM   #1
Macflurry

Bike: M900
M900 Fuel Tank Variations...

Hi, apologies if this isn't in the right section.

With my tank looking like it needs a good de-rust I bought a second tank from ebay as a backup.

My bike is a '95 and the listing says the tank is from a '97. Under my tank is the fuel outlet that goes straight into the filter and then out to the fuel cut off/pump/carbs and then also two more connectors that are currently attached to drainage hoses. The bit that has me puzzled is that the one that turned up has a third connector underneath, by my two drainage ones, that is connected direct to where my fuel outlet is and has a t-piece in the middle. There's also no bolt-hole for the filter to attach.

From what I've read, all injection tanks have pumps and filters inside. This has the filler opening the same as mine so there's no aluminium ring to remove or any way of getting into it.

So what difference does the extra outlet make and where is the fuel filter supposed to go if I swapped to this tank? The sticker says that it's supposed to connect directly over to the other outlet, I'm just wondering if I'll have any dramas using it if my setup was slightly different?

Not my tank but the same connectors:

The one that I've just bought:

Macflurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
Darkness

Delivery is the feed to the fuel pump via a filter. There have been a few variations on those filters over the years, including mounted on frame in rubber cradle and bolted to u/s of tank.

The 'overflow' hose drains the neck area under the filler flap to stop water getting into tank.

The 'bleed' hose is the vent for the tank, to let air in as the fuel level drops, and let air in and out as the fuel expands and contracts due to temperature.

Overflow and bleed need small hoses connecting to take the water to the underside of the engine and pick up clean air.
Old 29-06-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
Macflurry

Cool, thanks for the reply.

I have the hoses in place for the drainage and bleed connections.

From the picture of the replacement tank I can see that there is part of the t-piece missing for the next connection. Could this just be replaced by a simple metal t-piece which feeds a hose to any of the standard filters or would there be a design specific version required for this tank to work properly?

Any ideas why they added the extra outlet other than the lower one getting clogged too easily?
Old 29-06-2018, 09:13 PM   #4
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macflurry View Post
Hi, apologies if this isn't in the right section.

With my tank looking like it needs a good de-rust I bought a second tank from ebay as a backup.

My bike is a '95 and the listing says the tank is from a '97. Under my tank is the fuel outlet that goes straight into the filter and then out to the fuel cut off/pump/carbs and then also two more connectors that are currently attached to drainage hoses. The bit that has me puzzled is that the one that turned up has a third connector underneath, by my two drainage ones, that is connected direct to where my fuel outlet is and has a t-piece in the middle. There's also no bolt-hole for the filter to attach.

From what I've read, all injection tanks have pumps and filters inside. This has the filler opening the same as mine so there's no aluminium ring to remove or any way of getting into it.

So what difference does the extra outlet make and where is the fuel filter supposed to go if I swapped to this tank? The sticker says that it's supposed to connect directly over to the other outlet, I'm just wondering if I'll have any dramas using it if my setup was slightly different?

Not my tank but the same connectors:

The one that I've just bought:

That’s a tank from an early bike, 93-94 ish, I’d be interested if you don’t want to use it
Old 30-06-2018, 06:57 AM   #5
Macflurry

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. My original tank had a ton of crap come out last night. I'm going to give it a second pass cleaning it and de-rusting it but I'm thinking I may tidy up the backup as a project still regardless.

If I do change my mind I'll drop you a line.