UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New M600 owner saying hello

Old 28-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
sram

Bike: M600
New M600 owner saying hello

A bit overdue, but I thought I'd post a 'hello' on here.
I wanted a bike when I was 16 but my mum wasn't really having any of it. My dad rode until I was born and he has always been ok with the idea (I wouldn't say encouraging, but ok). With hindsight, it's probably good that I didn't get one when I was 16 and waited 17 years later before embarking on my CBT. I did that in May of this year and have been pootling around on a YBR125 for a few months. I did my mod 2 on 15 Dec in the rain! and fortunately all went well.

The original Monster is in my mind the way a bike should look. I only realised a few days ago when I was going through an old computer archive that I had a desktop background of one about 10 years ago. This Monster seed has been growing for a long time!
My plan was always to buy one before I passed my test as it would be motivation to get my license and also it would give me some time where I could be patient and take care of any small little things that needed doing. I lost quite a few bidding wars on ebay and then a showroom condition one came up but I didn't meet the person's reserve. I then noticed one that was described as needing work and I went to see it in Devon on the way to Cornwall with the girlfriend to see her family. The seller said it needed a fork seal and headlight lens to get through an MOT and I noticed that the bike was absolutely filthy. The battery had leaked in the past and the l/h side of the frame is acid damaged. The bike ran but the idle was very erratic and he said that the carbs had been stripped and cleaned but now needed to be setup properly. I took all of this onboard and went away and watched the auction. By the time we got back to London it was approaching £1000 and I'd set myself a limit not far over that (can't remember how much now!). I put in a bid and managed to secure it. The chap knew someone that delivers bikes for a living and for £100 from Devon to London I couldn't complain. The delivery chap (Carl, I think) was excellent and very friendly and turned up one hot sunny Saturday summer morning. With hindsight I think I probably overpaid by at least £200 given the amount of work I've had to carry out.

I started to clean the bike and slowly take the large components off (seat, tank, mudguards etc) so that I could inspect everything and give it a thorough clean. I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever seen a filthier bike. It was covered in caked on grease and grime absolutely everywhere. I was a bit surprised as most people don't own a Ducati as a sensible everyday bike. In my mind if you have a Ducati then you must really have wanted a Ducati and I would have thought this would mean that you'd have a bit of pride in its appearance and upkeep. We're all different I guess!

(Screen was cracked so it went in the bin and the laser exhausts have been removed and replaced with standard items that I found on the bay)

Last edited by sram; 28-12-2015 at 05:08 PM..
sram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
sram

Like all projects, the closer I looked the more I found. Really, the whole bike needs to be stripped to the frame, but I decided that as it is my first bike there is not much point going too crazy with it. I wasn't going to remove the swing arm but after snapping a couple of mudguard retaining bolts and then the nutserts that secure other things falling in, I decided it was best to remove it and send it away for stripping and coating. I also did the foot peg hangers, timing belt covers and various other small odds and sods.
I've been working in an unheated garage around the corner from me. There is no electricity and so I've been carrying batteries out to it at the start of working and then lugging them back up to my flat to charge them. I can get about 1 1/2 hours of good working light until I have to change them to a second set. After battling the cold dark evenings over the last couple of months I finally got the bike mostly back together and booked it in for an MOT at the last minute on Christmas Eve. I'm happy to say that it passed, but the bike is far from ready to ride! It is idling like a complete and utter dog and often cuts out. Riding with throttle seems ok, so I'm hoping it's float heights or something relatively simple like that. I've tried playing with the idle jet screw, but I can't get it to idle smoothly. The idle speed also seems to fluctuate quite wildly and will sometimes ramp up quite high and then settle back to a more usual speed all by itself or after blipping the throttle.
The last couple of days have seen me whip off the valve covers as I have no idea when the valve clearances were last checked. I did the belts a couple of weeks ago and fortunately there is a good maintenance record that shows regular oil & belt changes. As per my recent thread in the engine forum, I discovered most opening clearances were non existent and all of the closer clearances are way too large. Before I take the carbs off and strip them I am going to see if getting the valves closer to factory spec improves the idle running.
Lastly, if anyone knows anything about the history of this bike I would love to hear more. In the history I received with it I can see that it's been in at Louigi Moto for an engine and box stripdown to replace a damaged gearbox bearing. Unfortunately there is not much detail on the invoice such as a date, cost or even invoice number, so I'm not 100% sure what was done or how long ago. It must've been at least a few years back as the engine and everything else is disgusting and the invoice does state 'extensive cleaning of engine' was carried out...
Attached are some pics that the seller used. I will try and get some more recent ones up that show the recoated swing arm, peg hangers etc. It looks really good in the seller pics, but so many bikes and cars must be like this when seen from afar! The pics gave no clue as to how much work would be required - If I'd known I would have happily spent another £1000-£1500 on a bike that was already sorted and didn't need so much doing. I guess the positive thing is that if I can get it running well and keep it, I will really know the bike inside out after all the stuff I've done to it.

Well, hope you've enjoyed my ramblings... Went on for a while! Had to split post into two as I reached the forum limit!!!

Last edited by sram; 28-12-2015 at 05:12 PM..
Old 30-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #3
hatchback

Hello SRAM. Wow, reading your posts is like looking in a mirror regarding my own experience having bought an M600 this year. After a few attempts with the carbs myself I decided to throw mine at Moto Forza in Silverstone to try and get it running properly, with some success. It turned out that someone had got the exhaust and inlet shims the wrong way round and the clearances were a mess. There were also problems with the fuel filter, the fuel pipes and the carbs. The best they could get it without a bigger strip down was ticking over correctly and running fairly well although there is a whole mess of stuttering at certain throttle openings which I am riding round for the moment. I need to find a place to get the carbs ultra-sonically cleaned that is near by as the next step and then re-jetting and new needles. The upside down forks are proving to be the usual pain in the backside with fork oil escaping from the left hand one (I should have stuck to my promise to myself after the Aprilia kept doing the same). There has been a persistent fuel leak which I think I have traced back to the fuel level sensor. I have tried a new gasket and am gently tightening the nut UNTIL IT STOPS!! Fortunately I have a couple of Japanese bikes that require little maintenance and offer maximum reliability; there is also a 25 year old Peugeot I am planning on using for winter.
The fuel tank is made of thin cheese and collects dents as soon as look at it. The paint job is probably not the one that came out of the factory, although it looks good, as it seems to not adhere very well to the base coat. Ideally it could do with a complete strip down and the frame powder coating. I have a plan but never seem to have the time.
The saving grace is that it looks great and sounds great and it makes me smile (behind the tears). I hope yours turns out well and you have a long and good relationship with it.
Old 30-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Enjoyed your story sram...Keep them coming, and well done for sticking with your Monster.

Hatchback, you're right to be careful with the plastic nut, they can crack.

There are a few ways around getting a metal sender nut...I found these threads on the subject, with some useful tips and links....They are very old threads though so some of the info may be out of date. http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...archid=2585457

I happen to have a couple of plastic nuts spare, if that's any help?...
Old 30-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Yes, hello and welcome to monsterdom. You'll find a few nuts on here, some cracked, some not and some probably about to at anytime soon.

I seem to recall someone on here some time ago, with more engineering skills and equipment than me was making replacement fuel sender nuts to order. Not cheap but then again low volume bespoke stuff never can be. I was going to order one but I checked mine ('02 S4) and it already was metal. I think they changed to metal at the factory around that time for the same reasons, but I'm not sure if you can buy the nut without the expensive sender unit, that maybe the fly in ointment but worth checking and also ebay for anything s/hand post '02 as it will probably fit. But as Gazza says go easy with the plastic one otherwise it will crack!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 07:58 PM   #6
Flip

Bike: M900
As with lots of things that are worth owning, Monsters are worth the extra effort compared with many Japanese bikes and look at it this way- you get to learn more about your bike and that helps to have a 'bond' that is seldom there with more throw away machinery.

However, I digress; firstly welcome along to the club from down here on the South Coast, stick with the Monster- they really are worth it and this is what you need to cure those cracking nuts:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1116492807...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 30-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #7
Nottsbiker

Hi there!

Guessing you're into cycling with a name like sram
Old 01-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #8
sram

Thanks for the warm welcome! Am definitely sticking with a Monster, don't you worry about that! Was toying with keeping my old 125 as a winter commuter, but it's on eBay at the mo so if it gets some interest I will get rid of it. I also want something that I can do longer distances on comfortably (motorway etc). Once I've got the M600 sorted I want to try and keep it in as good condition as possible, so I'm a bit reluctant to ride in all sorts of weather (not to mention the elements raining down on me!). I might consider picking up a Honda for the winter once the ybr has sold, we'll see.
As for the name, nah, it's just a combo of my names. I do try and cycle fairly regularly though, usually at least once a week to work. It's the only exercise I get these days! The garage at the moment has two motorbikes in and three pushbikes! Anyone would think I'm obsessed with two wheel transport :-D
Happy new year to all!
Old 01-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

In my mind if you have a Ducati then you must really have wanted a Ducati and I would have thought this would mean that you'd have a bit of pride in its appearance and upkeep. We're all different I guess!

I think what you said above is generally true especially of owners of the larger and more exotic models, M900/S4/916/748 up to Panigale etc, but the M600 and to a lesser extent the 600SS tended to be viewed as more of a budget or entry level bike and most likely a first big bike for many new riders so is probably more likely to be neglected treated like a Jap CBR . The Monster was new and trendy back then and M600 looked exactly the same as the other Monsters so I can see the appeal in that. The 600SS and the SS range in general was less appealing unless already a Duc fan.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #10
sram

Today I bought another monster. Absolutely mint m600 with 4000 miles. 1997. I was going to post an excited story about it, but I'm currently sat waiting at Warwick services for the AA. I went in for a cup of coffee, taking a break on my journey home. I'd owned it for about 3 hours. I came out to continue my journey to find my mint bike on the floor. Left hand side covered in scratches, fuel tank dented, clutch lever snapped, indicator gone and fuel pissing out.
The icing on the cake is that it conked out as I pulled up and wouldnt restart. I was going to warm up, have a coffee and then if necessary call the AA to take me home. When I called the AA they said because the first thing I told them was that it had been knocked over and they don't cover vandalism, that'll be £108 to take you home please.

I just don't understand this world. Last month the same happened to my car and the culprit of course simply drove off.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #11
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Get on to the service station and see if they can check CCTV.

There is a law about stopping and reporting an accident.

http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/offenc...and_report.php

Report it to the police
jonzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #12
Jessie

Whoever did that and drove off is absolute scum. I don't wish bad things on many people but i hope something similar or worse happens to them one day. Really gutted for you. (surely Warwick services has extensive CCTV covering the parking area)

Last edited by Jessie; 02-01-2016 at 09:39 PM..
Old 02-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #13
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Damn.
I chuckled as I read the first bit of your post and then my jaw gradually dropped as I read on.
I've been meaning to add my welcome to the thread for a while now .. shame its happening after such an event.
But welcome anyway.
I enjoyed the enthusiasm behind your intro and recognised a few "monster owner" traits.
It'll all turn out good in the end.
I dented my orange tank a while back.
I now have a rather lovely blue monster ... the same one, but much nicer now.
Turn it to your advantage ... there's always a way.

On the levers, some decent, cheap, Chinese, billet jobbies can be had for under £20 a pair.
I love mine ... but possibly best to go for silver in case coloured anodising fades.
Or alternatively, std ones are cheap .. or you could have my old ones under the circumstances.

On the conking out .. at this time of year a carby monster will suffer carb icing.
The symptoms are mostly duff running at tickover, plus a reluctance for the throttle to shut after a period of constant, steady throttle.
This could well have been the cause of your conking out and quite probably it would have started up fine after you'd warmed yourself up.
The solution is to dose the fuel with pro.fst from silkolene .. and using premium fuel with low ethanol content is said to help (though mine still ices nevertheless, unless I dose the fuel).
Ducati did fit oil-heated and electrically heated systems but neither really work (mine has the electric).
Oh, and it doesn't need to be all that cold ... a damp day can often be the worst.

Anyway .. congratulations on the new bike.
Get yourself a nice paint job maybe ?
Or post some pics and we'll tell you if the tank on the other one will fit.
Are they perchance both red ? ..the odds say that's likely.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:13 PM   #14
SteveG

I'm guessing by the extent of the damage that it didn't just do the old Ducati "fall off the rubbish side stand" trick? .. either way best of luck going forward and welcome to the forum. Enjoyed your posts ( the intro ones anyway...)
Steve
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:24 PM   #15
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Gutted for you sram....Good call with the CCTV...Good luck with that.