UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » The wait is over.

Old 30-06-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
walpole68

The wait is over.now with pics.

Finally after 6 months im finally out and about on my lovely white 696+. Really enjoyed my ride into work today.Cant wait to get the 600 mile service out the way so i can fully explore that fantastic howl from the air intakes.Have a grin from ear to ear today,cant wait for the ride home.

Last edited by walpole68; 03-07-2008 at 07:50 PM..
Old 30-06-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Excellent news!!
Old 30-06-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
squiffything

well done at long last
Old 30-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Snips

Congrats! 1400 miles on mine now, grins only get bigger.
Old 30-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
PeterPoddy

They do make a lovely noise, don't they?

A lot louder than a 695......

Best bit of advice - Get a 14t front sprocket as they are well over geared. 6th is useless until you get to 70mph. I've just fitted on on mine and it's a distinct improvement.

I had a couple of teething problems with mine and the best bit of advice I got (seriously) from some Ducati technical bod, via my dealer, was "Don't be too careful running them in."
Start stretching it's legs occasionally before the 600 miles.......
Old 30-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
walpole68

The guy on handover said that too,so might have a little play tonight.Hurry up 5.00pm,want to go and ride my bike !
Old 30-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Lucati

Photo's please!!!!

Congrats - enjoy!
Old 30-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
PeterPoddy

I have to say I'm toatally smitten with my 696, which is odd....

I've ALWAYS likes Monsters, and when I saw the first 696 pic my immediate reaction was "They've ruined the Monster". I even said as much to my missus who has a 695.... I've ridden her 695 and liked it bit it's a bit soft and underbraked for me compared to my last bike, a 2001 Speed Triple, which I was happy with.
Then I saw a black 696 in the dealers when we went to get her a new screen.
Now, the black is minging TBH, but the bike just looked so....right.... Proportions, stance. Lovely. Then a couple of weeks later I saw a white one at Brands Hatch (The BSB meeting when it snowed) and I couldn't stay away from it. Just lovely. I sat on it, it felt tiny, but spot on. So I went for a test ride.....
And I spent 30-40 miles simply laughing my head off. The intake noise is astonishing. 695s sound good, but 696s? Another thing entirely. If you've not ridden one, you just don't know, really.
I was totally smitten, and the test bike was a red 696+ which looked even better (To me) than the white. So I test rode a Multistrada, just to make sure, and it's an awsome bike, just not what I want right now. And now my teething problems are ironed out, and the first service done, I've got that feeling back again.
It just makes me laugh out loud when I open it up. And it might not be as fast as my S3, but it FEELS faster somehow and it might not handle as well, but I swear I'm chucking it into corners faster. It just feels right to do so. Whatever they've done to the 696, they got it right first time, IMO. Wonderful little bike.
It's the proof that big BHP and suchlike doesn't always make the bike, IMO.

Last edited by PeterPoddy; 30-06-2008 at 02:17 PM..
Old 30-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
MrsJel

That's really good news. Hope you enjoy it.

Carole
Old 30-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #10
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
You'll soon find that the looking forwards to getting up and leaving work is just so you can ride the bike more, only thing that makes getting up (even on a rainy/freezing day) worth the effort!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPoddy View Post
"Don't be too careful running them in."
Start stretching it's legs occasionally before the 600 miles.......
That'll be the oils fault!! Ducati build tolerances being pretty good now and the addition of semi-synthetic which is rather too good at being slippery can stop the rings bedding in if you're too gentle. The bore just glazes and you never get a good seal unless you run a hone over it. You need enough load/pressure to stuff the rings into the bores a little so occasional high load is a good thing.
Old 30-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #11
walpole68

Just back from a ride,popped down to Cassington on way home,so many nices bikes to look at but to be honest i just wanted to go and ride mine.The more miles the better it gets,i am finding the gearbox clunky at low speeds,is it me or does it improve with miles?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #12
PeterPoddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
That'll be the oils fault!! Ducati build tolerances being pretty good now and the addition of semi-synthetic which is rather too good at being slippery can stop the rings bedding in if you're too gentle. The bore just glazes and you never get a good seal unless you run a hone over it. You need enough load/pressure to stuff the rings into the bores a little so occasional high load is a good thing.

I've got a feeling the oil put in at 0 miles is different stuff to what I got at 621 miles. Well, it's certainly a different colour at least! - Was brownish, now red.

I've heard BMW use a lower grade oil for running in as if you lubricate too well at first, you glaze the bores like you've said. Maybe Ducati are doing the same now?
Old 01-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #13
Josh

Hi guys (and Carole)

I’m sharing everyone’s enthusiasm for the new bike. I’m now on 140 miles - sadly the commute to work is only a couple of miles but I normally manage to stretch it on the way home to considerably more. On the running-in side of things it has long been the case of balancing proper bedding in of the internals against giving it too much stick – I guess we can all pontificate as to what’s best but commonsense normally tells you. What surprised me is the handbook saying up to 6k rpm first 1000k then no more than 7k til 2500k – that’s a long wait!

On the subject of pipes I spec’d mine with Termi cans straight off. When the guy dropped off at my garage he fired it up and it sounded like I was standing in an armoury full of Gatling guns. Jeeze! The Termi cans come with a different ECU. Why’s that? Perhaps I should have taken it with the standard fitment before changing it because I can’t tell whether the slight hunting you get on part open throttle is to be expected.

Josh
Old 01-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #14
PeterPoddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
What surprised me is the handbook saying up to 6k rpm first 1000k then no more than 7k til 2500k – that’s a long wait!

On the subject of pipes I spec’d mine with Termi cans straight off. When the guy dropped off at my garage he fired it up and it sounded like I was standing in an armoury full of Gatling guns. Jeeze! The Termi cans come with a different ECU. Why’s that? Perhaps I should have taken it with the standard fitment before changing it because I can’t tell whether the slight hunting you get on part open throttle is to be expected.

Josh
I never saw the 7000rpm/2.5k bit. Ahh well. It's too late for that now as it's just had 200+ miles pretty hard riding, shift light coming on, the lot. Have you ever been to Italy? If so can you imagine the Italians running their bikes in like that? No, me neither.

Mine (Standard cans) hunts a bit on a neutral throttle too. Dealer says it OK.......I can live with it.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #15
walpole68

How are you guys finding the gear shift,finding mine clunky at low speeds,does that go with a few more miles on it?