UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Here we go again

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #106
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I really think the club should have a once a year voted bike of the year forum based award as well as the weekender one. If only though great projects attended it would be good too.
Seconded.
It was a sacrilege when the same, NOS equipped 750 won it for a second year when Dukedesmo's stunning special was far more deserving.

Oh, and your red-piped Corbin seat, Albie .....that's the one sitting on my monster right now.
I'm gonna repair the cat scrape too.
Its a heavy old bugger though, isn't it ?
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #107
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
This is definatly a very high quality job. I like the different takes on certain bits.

Just wondered if you have done something, paint wise, to the carb breather/catch tanks, Dookbob?

Re Bike of the year...Not so hard is it?
Just need a thread to nominate bikes, a cut off date for nominations...And then a forum poll..With it's own cut off date.

Who would need a prize, when everyone knew theirs was the best bike?
Old 22-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #108
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinPV12 View Post
you did the graft yourself, stunning job!
Pretty much sums it up for me too!

To be honest I wasn't sure whether I was going to like the finished colours (which is purely personal and by no means a slur on the quality of workmanship) but like so many things, when it is all together it works and I am sure that in the metal it is even better.

I, like many others here really enjoy all the build threads for many reasons not least on this one is a bit of workshop envy- I need more room!!
Old 22-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #109
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
This is definatly a very high quality job. I like the different takes on certain bits.

Just wondered if you have done something, paint wise, to the carb breather/catch tanks, Dookbob?

Re Bike of the year...Not so hard is it?
Just need a thread to nominate bikes, a cut off date for nominations...And then a forum poll..With it's own cut off date.

Who would need a prize, when everyone knew theirs was the best bike?
I don't think it needs a prize too because that would lessen the value of the BOTY but I also think the prestige would be the best bit. I feel a bit awkward saying these things because of the weekender but that is a different occasion and 4-5 months into the year. I wouldn't be hard to have a forum awards every year say in Nov-Dec and announced Xmas for say Bike, thread and outstanding person contributor.

Anyway that's a HIJACK and needs discussing elsewhere so apology's Dookbob.
You are a contender in my book.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 06:10 AM   #110
utopia
No turn left unstoned

The more I look at it, the more I find myself wondering ...."could you lose the sidepanels ?".
The lines of the seat, accentuated by the red piping, do look good as Albie says, and they flow very nicely from the tank.
The sidepanels look ok too, but they do rather spoil the lines.
I guess the new owner could remove them easily enough though.

I guess one "problem" with a forum vote is that anybody at all could vote.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a fair voting system, but if the award is to have any meaning as a recognition of true excellence by those who know and care, then maybe there needs to be a little more thought about how to achieve that.
At least turning up at the weekender goes some way to "tuning" the vote.
Maybe some combo of the two, and/or weighting the forum vote according to length of membership or post count would be worth considering ?
Sorry for hijack, Dook.
As Albie says, maybe any further discussion on this should have its own thread ?
Old 26-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #111
Dookbob

I did think about leaving the side panels off then decided against that. If you really want to mess up the visual lines then fit a seat cowl. not only will that ruin the lines , but in some cases it can ruin the seat too.
Old 26-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #112
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookbob View Post
I did think about leaving the side panels off then decided against that. If you really want to mess up the visual lines then fit a seat cowl. not only will that ruin the lines , but in some cases it can ruin the seat too.
I agree when its a visually pleasing seat. But what they ruin they cover up.

The americans seem to love no side panels and .the frame does look good naked as long as they wiring is tidy.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #113
Dookbob

I,m still waiting for some manufacturer to run the wiring inside the frame tubes, shouldn,t take too much ingenuity to sort a system out.
Old 27-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #114
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
I,m still waiting for some manufacturer to run the wiring inside the frame tubes, shouldn,t take too much ingenuity to sort a system out.
I was wondering about doing that the other day. Is it not possible on an original frame monster? Would the holes weaken it too much?

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 12:05 AM   #115
Dookbob

I think you would need a relay system to enable the use of smaller section wiring, which would reduce the size of the holes required
Old 28-06-2015, 01:31 AM   #116
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
I think you would need a relay system to enable the use of smaller section wiring, which would reduce the size of the holes required
Already on it

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 11:57 AM   #117
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

........or weld/braze thin wall tube in discreet places to conduit the harness in the worst places..?

We where putting the wires through the frames back in the seventies....and down the handlebars too.
Old 28-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #118
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
........or weld/braze thin wall tube in discreet places to conduit the harness in the worst places..?
I believe Capo's frame has this kind of modification, though its a series of tabs on the inside of the frame tubes to cable tie the wires to.
This might be a better system than running them through a conduit, as subsequent inspection and removal of the wiring is not compromised.
Old 28-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #119
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I actually had Capo's tabs in mind when I suggested the tubes, thinking they would be an improvement, but in reality the tabs are far a superior idea. Tubes would be too fiddly to thread through and remove as you say.
Old 30-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #120
don_matese

Did you need to apply acid etch primer before the VHT paint on the cylinders?