UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » For Sale » Rev counter drive cable - free to good home.

Old 29-05-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
Goofle

Bike: M900
Rev counter drive cable - free to good home.

Hi,

I've found a drive cable which I believe is for a tachometer. It was sold to me as a speedo cable but it's too short. Free to good home, let me know!
Ta!
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
Murray Mint

I have a 1993 M900 and I'd like to fit a rev counter but there is no drive in the horizontal head, can I retrofit a rev counter drive? if so ill take the cable.
Murray Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 02:32 PM   #3
Darkness

If you check out the parts fische for the M900 (Which doesn’t have tacho drive installed) and 900SS (Which does), the difference is that a spacer has been installed instead of the worm drive. It’s a bit of a faff swapping them over as you need to pull a cam bearing out of the way. Worth checking if there’s already a worm drive there though.
I looked at this some time ago, but it seemed too fiddly for a tacho that the bike doesn’t really need. You of course may decide otherwise for yours.
Old 29-05-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
Murray Mint

Hey Darkeness, I will defer to your wisdom and pass this very kind offer over to anyone else that wants it.
Murray Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 04:42 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I think the legend (or myth) goes, that when they started to make Monsters they were meant to have 4 valve water cooled engines (888?), But instead they hoiked engines out of poorly selling 900SS and used those. I don't know how true that is, but if it is then you might find rev-counter drives on some early Monsters.

All the SS range had mechanical rev-counters up until the ie models which came in about 1999. I'm assuming that they then switched to electronic.

So the cable should fit an SS model if it is indeed a rev-counter cable.
Old 30-05-2020, 06:03 AM   #6
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Could I please bag the rev counter cable for my 750SS which will be my next or next but one rebuild and hopefully more a restoration rather than a rebuild?
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
Goofle

It’s yours, pm me your address and I’ll get it sent your way!
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 05:09 PM   #8
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I don't know how true that is, but if it is then you might find rev-counter drives on some early Monsters.
Mine has the drive section built into the front head although the actual worm/drive gear isn't fitted and there is a blank/plug to seal the hole. Presumably the gearing would fit in fairly easily?

Not sure if they are all like that or just early engines (my engine is date stamped '95).

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 05:19 PM   #9
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
Mine has the drive section built into the front head although the actual worm/drive gear isn't fitted and there is a blank/plug to seal the hole. Presumably the gearing would fit in fairly easily?

Not sure if they are all like that or just early engines (my engine is date stamped '95).
It’s as easy as pulling the outer cam bearing off the cam shaft to release the spacer and fit the worm drive. It may or may not have a keyway to stop it spinning on the shaft, but some bearing fix would achieve that if not.