UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Joining from Hertfordshire

Old 06-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Kameloil

Talking Joining from Hertfordshire

Hi all,

Finally made it onto the forum and looking forward to learning lots from you guys. I recently took a used 696 out for a test ride and absolutely loved it. I had tried a Kawasaki ER-6N and a Yamaha 600 Diversion on the same day which were both great bikes, but just didn't have the X factor. The Monster sounds and feels awesome, I couldn't fault it but I know there are many experts out there who might have some comments for me.

I love the Monster in black but quite like the pearl white. Is this a little girly?
I want ABS but I'm being warned off it by most the professionals. Any comments?
Any experiences good or bad with Ducati Aylesbury, and do you recommend I deal with someone there?
What kind of discount should I expect to negotiate from a dealer?

Thanks looking forward to any comments,
Kameloil
Old 06-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameloil View Post
Hi all,

Finally made it onto the forum and looking forward to learning lots from you guys. I recently took a used 696 out for a test ride and absolutely loved it. I had tried a Kawasaki ER-6N and a Yamaha 600 Diversion on the same day which were both great bikes, but just didn't have the X factor. The Monster sounds and feels awesome, I couldn't fault it but I know there are many experts out there who might have some comments for me.

I love the Monster in black but quite like the pearl white. Is this a little girly?
Any experiences good or bad with Ducati Aylesbury, and do you recommend I deal with someone there?

Kameloil
Welcome to the club.
choicing your colour is so subjective! i'm a black bike man myself, but the pearl white is quite striking.
ABS? never had a bike with it fitted so can't comment, ask around the forum, some guys have other bikes with it fitted, so they will have an opinion.
lastly, I bought my monnie from Aylesbury so yrs back. very pleased with their services.

Enjoy the bike and look forward to seeing you on a ride out.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Char
We're all mad here

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Hi & Welcome

I grew up in Rickmansworth
Old 07-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
J.P
No more Monster...

Welcome to the club.

As Grumpy says coulour is a personal choice but no one thinks the white is girly.

As for ABS, I would never buy a bike without it now. It gives you a safety net because when you panic brake, and you will at some point, you know it won't lock up. ok in controlled conditions you might be able to stop quicker, but grabbing a handful of brake when a car pulls out on you is not a controlled condition.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Hi all,

Kameloil
Welcome to the club. White looks good I think, but my white wheels are a b**ch to clean. Might be a factor if you use it daily as it won't stay looking nice... then again, black collects dust... they all look nice when clean and polished.

as for ABS, watch this...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...1100-abs-test/

I would definitely tick the box after watching, but that's my opinion.
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
J.P
No more Monster...

Stevooo, I think that video says it all.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
rogermunro

can abs be fitted later and how much
Old 10-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
SBAbruzzo

Buy it, I am sure you will not be disappointed!

I bought my 696 from these guys and were happy with the service. Living in Poland I did not have the opportunity of seeing the bike first (it is an ex demo) but it arrived here as described and the purchase was done over the 'phone. We are just scraping above freezing temperatures so I hope be out and about in another 4-6 weeks.

As already mentioned, the pearl white is not girly. I happen to like it and I also think it looks good with both the red and the black frame.
SB
Old 10-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermunro View Post
can abs be fitted later and how much
don't think so as don't the newer monsters have a smaller tank when ABS is fitted as some of the space is taken by the system?

That said, anything "can" be fitted, if you have time and money, but if you are considering ABS, just get it factory fitted from new
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #10
Kameloil

Hi Grumpy,

Thanks for the advice, I think black is the only choice for me too. I look forward to a nice sunny afternoon and a ride out too. First things first, gotta get the bike sorted!

Hi Char,

Been here for 4 years and enjoying it, near enough to London but just on the edge of some great roads!

Hey J.P.,

I had a spill on the morning of my Module 1 test for exactly that reason. I'm not a fan of that test but I learnt my lesson and now I roll the front brake on rather than snatch. Bad cyclist habit. I want the ABS for reassurance.

Steeevvvooo,

Great link, I think I'm converted on the ABS now but I can't find a single used black ABS Monster in the country!!! I think the little lady will have my guts if I go forking out £7k on a new one

SBAbruzzo,

I agree they all have their merits, I love the red tank but I'm not a fan of the red trellis frame, I think it looks great in black and I wish they would do that gun metal grey they did on the 620's again. Ducati Aylesbury it is then.

Thanks guys (and gals?) what a great welcome! I'm trying a Aprilia Shiver, a KTM Duke and a Honda Hornet this weekend but I think I know where my heart is.....
Old 11-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
Char
We're all mad here

When I lived there they had just built that little bit of the M25 and we used to scoot up and down on our mopeds - traffic - what traffic!

Its a nice place to live
Old 11-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
Jungle24

Hello mate, I live in Herts too in Hemel so let me know if you fancy a blast down the the ace cafe or through the twisties of herts. I am probably heading out with a mate tomorrow morning down the ace so tag along if you fancy it. Anyway welcome to the club, its a great place for solid advice as there are some serious monters experts on here!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #13
Kameloil

Thanks Jungle,

I need to get the bike first, i'll be in Hemel trying a few bikes tomorrow. Hope its a nice day
Old 14-03-2011, 02:27 AM   #14
Kameloil

Deeelighted to say the deposit has gone down. The wife is going to kill me, but hey, you only get one life.

Old 14-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #15
Char
We're all mad here

Quote:
Deeelighted to say the deposit has gone down. The wife is going to kill me, but hey, you only get one life.

Thanks not strictly true - oh sorry thought you said wife

Tags
696, abs, aylesbury, colour, discount