UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Your opinions please

Old 20-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #1
FLATTOP

Your opinions please

Hi everyone it's that time of year again I've just recieved a quote from Peter James for £196 with a 250 excess including legal cover and UK & European breakdown cover this is for a M1000.

I had a look at Ducati insurance and there offering very similar for nearly half the price has any one got any opinions thanks in advance Bill.
Old 20-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #2
Nottsbiker

Renewals are always over priced, well mine have been in recent years anyways.

Surely its a no-brainer at half the cost?
Old 20-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #3
Wildfire

I had a terrible experience with Ramasis/Ducati/Kawasaki last year, which almost stopped me riding. It left me uninsurable for a month and they just had no interest in helping sort it out. The deferred to the underwriters, who were rubbish too. I ended up having to transport my bikes to my parent's house by van as I couldn't keep them outside my flat due to no insurance.

Last edited by Wildfire; 20-01-2016 at 10:37 AM..
Old 20-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #4
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The trouble with insurance companies is that you never find out if they're any good until you have to make a claim (...and then you find they're all *******s).
Ring them and use the better quote to see how far they'll move, otherwise I'm with Ben: no brainer, unless there are significant differences in the small print.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #5
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Best comparison site I found was thebikeinsurer.co.uk.

That said I still can't get a reasonable quote (one less than the value of the bike!!!) for the Blade.

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 08:25 PM   #6
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
The trouble with insurance companies is that you never find out if they're any good until you have to make a claim (...and then you find they're all *******s).
I agree totally- case in point my wife drives a new shape Beetle which during the bad weather recently had the drivers door pulled from her grip by the wind and as a result damaged the door hinges, opening strap and buggered almost all the electrics as they are all controlled from that door - handle operated window drop (it's a soft top), boot release (no key access to the boot on the convertible), central locking (now has a mind of it's own), alarm (goes off if you leave the door open for more than a minute- it thinks it's closed and puts the window up) and the list goes on but basically just over a grands worth of repairs.

By asserting our right to use a repairer of our choosing rather than their 'approved' repairers (Google 'Nationwide Repair Centres' if you're ever faced with using them) her £80 excess went up an additional £250 to £330 and we forfeited the use of them supplying a courtesy car (not a biggie as it turns out as the repair shop we're using has given us one FOC).

Lets see what effect the claim has on her 'protected' NCD at renewal time- T****rs!!!
Old 20-01-2016, 09:45 PM   #7
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
What drives me mad is that insurance companies ask details about mods but when it comes to security most are very vague. In fact so much so that it feels like they can always argue their way out.

Case in point most insurance companies will not feature a factory fitted immobiliser in those exact words. So you have to look for next best thing and that leaves doors open to interpretation if worse comes to worse.

I even recently found out that many have tracker monitor or tracker retrieve. No explanation what it means, option for both in one or option for a specific tracker.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 07:01 AM   #8
Greyman

After being off bikes for over a decade I expected to be mugged by any company but Devitt came up at £90 odd for my M620. I am however an old git with the bike garaged but it's still in London... Bennetts wouldn't even quote as it had non standard 'bars on it... I'd spend an hour or so trawling the comparison sites.
Old 21-01-2016, 10:20 AM   #9
FLATTOP

I will probably go down the negotiating road tell them I have had a cheaper quote and take it from there.

They all seem to be the same around renewal time give you a good first year then kick you in the nuts there after they dont seem to reward loyalty.

Thanks for the replies I will update on how I get on.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #10
FLATTOP

Well a little update I went down the negotiation road with Peter James and they were having none of it they kept blaming Insurance Premium Tax which I believe is about 9.5% on top of our premiums.

So I went back to Ducati insurance refined the policy to be comparable to the PJ one and there was about a £30/£40 advantage with Ducati insurance with Ramassis underwriters, not sure I have heard of them.

As I had used PJ insurance for a non fault claim on my things that go bump in the night claim , and had a reasonable claim process I've decided to stay put rather than take a risk.

All a bloody mine field though and I always feel insurers are trying to have my pants down every time.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #11
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
I agree totally- case in point my wife drives a new shape Beetle which during the bad weather recently had the drivers door pulled from her grip by the wind and as a result damaged the door hinges, opening strap and buggered almost all the electrics as they are all controlled from that door - handle operated window drop (it's a soft top), boot release (no key access to the boot on the convertible), central locking (now has a mind of it's own), alarm (goes off if you leave the door open for more than a minute- it thinks it's closed and puts the window up) and the list goes on but basically just over a grands worth of repairs.

By asserting our right to use a repairer of our choosing rather than their 'approved' repairers (Google 'Nationwide Repair Centres' if you're ever faced with using them) her £80 excess went up an additional £250 to £330 and we forfeited the use of them supplying a courtesy car (not a biggie as it turns out as the repair shop we're using has given us one FOC).

Lets see what effect the claim has on her 'protected' NCD at renewal time- T****rs!!!
This is the type of crap places like 'nationwide accident repairs' churn out. They're all on the ' repair over replace' bandwagon. And yet pretend they have the customers best interest as priority!
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
paynep

For my 2p-worth, avoid Carole Nash. Use to be the biker's friend but now the same as the rest.
When I wanted to change up from my 800 to a bigger Duc they couldn't cover me with the same broker.
I would need a new policy but they would use the balance of the existing one towards it.
Which would have been ok except their best price for the new bike was £350 more than elsewhere.
So I said, "sorry I will go elsewhere as you are not competitive" they then kept £50 of my refund because I had cancelled my policy with them....
And 3 weeks later I haven't had what little was left of the refund back yet....
W4nkers.